No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they said windy here until noon.... there's not even a breath of air movement... cold for certain, but no wind
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I finally got the call that my heads were ready! Took a lot longer than they promised, but they really did right by me. A pair of 882 heads with everything new including stainless valves and hardened seats. A few new springs that didn't meet the pressure test, and of course all new guides and seals.
      Weather is way too cold, and winds in the 30 mph range, so I'll put it back together tomorrow when it's supposed to warm up a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
        I finally got the call that my heads were ready! Took a lot longer than they promised, but they really did right by me. A pair of 882 heads with everything new including stainless valves and hardened seats. A few new springs that didn't meet the pressure test, and of course all new guides and seals.
        Weather is way too cold, and winds in the 30 mph range, so I'll put it back together tomorrow when it's supposed to warm up a bit.
        I'd support you in that decision! (I HATE being cold).

Dan

Comment

• I also spoke with Dave about building the short block next year when the weather is better, and I have time. He'll bore it, and completely rebuild it with a new flat tappet RV cam, and flat top pistons. Then put these heads back on it when he's done, and said it will run $1,000. I might try to locate a different 350 4 bolt main engine before then so I can leave it with him to build, and drive the truck while he's doing that one. Then I'll have less down time when it comes time to do the swap.
          Aaron, do you think your dad has a rebuildable short block, or even a complete rebuildable?

Comment

I also spoke with Dave about building the short block next year when the weather is better, and I have time. He'll bore it, and completely rebuild it with a new flat tappet RV cam, and flat top pistons. Then put these heads back on it when he's done, and said it will run $1,000. I might try to locate a different 350 4 bolt main engine before then so I can leave it with him to build, and drive the truck while he's doing that one. Then I'll have less down time when it comes time to do the swap.
            Aaron, do you think your dad has a rebuildable short block, or even a complete rebuildable?
            I'm sure he does
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Really long day! Got outside on the Burb around 9:00 a.m. and just came in about 4:30, and of course no breaks like when I got paid to work!
              But I got it all back together, and she's purring like a kitten! Of course I had the usual 180 degree backwards distributor. I moved it to #1, with the balancer at TDC, but she backfired. Pulled #1 plug and got my wife to crank it over until I felt compression pop. Pulled the distributor and found it pointing backwards. After swapping it around it fired right up, but ran horrible and had one heck of an exhaust leak! My wife gave me the worried look, like "this is gonna be expensive". Then I remembered I never put #1 spark plug back in! LOL
              After putting the plug in I started it again, and after running a couple minutes I pulled the valve covers and readjusted the valves because they sounded a little tight. After that it was running better than it has in years!
              I think I got pretty lucky to just have the heads done, and replace some gaskets. I'll run it around for a few weeks, and then dump the oil and filter and replace both just to be sure nothing is in the system after this mess. Think I'll take a couple days off working on cars, and get rested up too. My bones ache from work and cold weather!

Comment

• Was going to take today off, but decided to go out and replace all the heater and radiator hoses on the Burb. Would have done the hoses while I had it apart, but didn't have them, and didn't want to run and get them. Then my turn signal and high beam indicators arrived, so went out and drilled holes and installed them in my fabricated dash panel.
                So an easy day, and not a bunch of work done.

Comment

• Some days you need an easy day and some days you need to be off. don't sweat it, we'll be here watching at your speed.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• R&R'd my rear axle the last time today! (I hope!) I set the pinion angle, and tacked the perches to the tube. Then pulled everything loose and dropped it out where I could get a weld on both sides. Put it back, and clamped it all down again.
                    Need to install my polyurethane bump stops to make sure the slicks don't ever contact the rear fenders. Also need to fabricate the rear shock mounts. I might have to do as I did on the Austin and make the top mount inside the trunk. There's not much room for length, so even a short shock will need the bottom mount lowered, and the top mount raised above the floor to get full travel.
                    Last edited by 1946Austin; November 2, 2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Jumping all around today. I decided my homemade floor shifter was a little shorter than I wanted, and shift points were closer than I wanted also. So the cure was make it taller, which would also make the move from gear to gear longer travel. I took it off, and cut the arm inside the boot where it wouldn't show. Then welded in a 2" long piece, and welded the shifter arm back on it. It's now a lot easier to reach, and a little more movement to go between gears.
                      Then I figured I'd build my driveline safety loop. So I cut up some 1.25" tube to make the loop and came off each side with some 2" box tubing to go to the frame rails. I was hoping the 2" box tubing could also be the front mount for my ladder bars, but in order to get the crossmember to be in the first 6" of the driveline it will be too far forward by about 5"-6". So I'll make separate hangers off the frame for the ladder bars.
                      After getting the driveline loop built, I set it aside and got the trans ready to pull. I used the 4 six inch pieces of 3/8" all thread in two holes on either side of the dowel pins on the bellhousing. After removing those bolts and replacing them with the 6" bolts, I jacked up the engine and blocked the pan. Then I put my floor jack under the trans pan, and the trans slid back like it was on rollers! I got a good 5" of space to work in, and installed the flex plate. Then I simply laid on my back and pushed on the tailshaft with my foot and the trans slid back against the engine! Easy as I could ever have hoped!
                      It was a good 8 hr. day, so I didn't bother bolting up the torque converter. Just picked up my tools and came inside for some grub. Tomorrow I'll get the crossmembers for the trans and driveline loop bolted in, and get started on the mounts for the ladder bars. Once those are done I can paint the bottom side of the car before I start running the exhaust system.

Comment

• A good productive day today. Warmed up nicely to just over 60 degrees, and perfect work temperature.
                        I got my ladder bar front mounts, and shackles built, then got the ladder bars welded on the axle and frame rails.

Took pictures with my phone, but flash wasn't working for some reason, so sorry for the poor quality and bad lighting.

After that I finished up the driveshaft loop and got it drilled and bolted to the frame. Then drilled and bolted the ends of the transmission mount too.

That does it for crossmembers, and just need to do the rear shocks before I paint the bottom side. That crossmember will likely go inside the trunk for the upper mount.

Comment

• Busy lil fella!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Busy lil fella!
                            Retirement gets boring if I don't keep busy Bob! ;)

Comment

• Got lots of "life crap" needing done Yes I'm jealous!

Comment

Retirement gets boring if I don't keep busy Bob! ;)
                                Though I don't know. Been retired for 15 years +/- and haven't been bored yet though I was getting that way as I recovered from this latest operation. Glad to be back to doing projects.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X