1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    if you use LED lights, heat isn't a problem, halogens, though, get really warm... like paint burning hot.
    That's why I ordered LED lamps. Since I painted the reflectors I don't want the halogens to burn the new paint off. The lamps were free with the reflectors, so I just used them for testing once I reworked the headlights. LED conversion lamps are really cheap these days!

Comment

• That's a great solution - well done indeed. I've been looking for a solution to the same dilema on my 5 window - I don't like the turn signals to look like JC Whitney add-ons, and I don't care for the modern look of the "halo" LED headlight / turn signals on older cars.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        That's a great solution - well done indeed. I've been looking for a solution to the same dilema on my 5 window - I don't like the turn signals to look like JC Whitney add-ons, and I don't care for the modern look of the "halo" LED headlight / turn signals on older cars.
        There was no shortage of cars with frontend damage to use as donors. But they also sell perfectly good headlight housings also at a higher price of $14 each. I just didn't want to use good ones that someone else might need. It did take awhile to find ones with the right reflector to get a large enough size for the project. Some have gone to a narrow headlamp and not enough curved area around the socket to work well. These came off an early 2000's Ford Escape.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          That's a great solution - well done indeed. I've been looking for a solution to the same dilema on my 5 window - I don't like the turn signals to look like JC Whitney add-ons, and I don't care for the modern look of the "halo" LED headlight / turn signals on older cars.
          I think this would work well on the 5 window. Cool that you're finding solutions as you make it your own.

Dan

Comment

• Realized yesterday that I'd never put my VIN tag back on the passenger side cowl. The coupe came with a brand new repro tag, so I got my stamp set out and using a block of wood to keep the numbers aligned I stamped the title numbers on it, and mounted it back in the original location.
            Decided it was time to install the trans cooler. I don't like them in the radiator, so I use auxiliary coolers. I also don't like them blocking the radiator, so I mounted it horizontally under the passenger side floor. Made some standoffs to keep it about 1.5" off the floor, and then used the leftover 3/8 braided hose I had to feed it. Just used regular hose clamps since it's hidden and didn't need AN fittings. It just fit between the trans crossmember and the driveline loop crossmember!

Comment

• Is this hilarious or what?

The new LED conversion lamps arrived for my headlights and they have little finned aluminum heat sinks on the end with little miniature cooling fans! They're supposed to run cooler than halogens, but I've never seen a halogen with a tiny cooling fan?

Comment

• WOW.... it's not for the bulb though, it is for the electronic power supply....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Yeah, that was my thought too. LED lights can degrade in lumen levels if the circuitry gets too warm. So it's likely to keep them cool and keep headlights bright.

Comment

• its amazing how much more light they put out too..
                    unfortunately here in hawaii the recon gods have
                    deemed "NO led lights anywhere on the vehicle",
                    even if they have a D.O.T. stamp...

apparently we are living in draconian times here.
                    moronskis, i swear.......

Comment

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                      its amazing how much more light they put out too..
                      unfortunately here in hawaii the recon gods have
                      deemed "NO led lights anywhere on the vehicle",
                      even if they have a D.O.T. stamp...

apparently we are living in draconian times here.
                      moronskis, i swear.......
                      So I guess they wont allow any newer cars to be imported to Hawaii?

Comment

• It's cold here! So in order to not go stir crazy I brought my two grille halves into the basement work shop and did some work on them. I have them sanded and primed with etching primer, but they had some light pitting on the surface. And since I never planned to have the grille chromed again, I mixed up some skim coat putty and gave the grille bars a skim coat. Had to mix it in small batches as using my fingers to spread a thin coat across each grille bar was time consuming and it could set up before I finished. It took about 5 golf ball sized gobs of putty to finally get them all skim coated.
                        I left it to set up, and will sand them smooth and then give it a coat or two of 2x primer before the final paint. Thinking of going with mag wheel paint that's designed to not chip or wear as easily. Maybe a graphite color that will be sort of neutral and not clash with whatever color I end up with on the body.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

So I guess they wont allow any newer cars to be imported to Hawaii?
                          factory installed in the car it originally came in is ok.
                          no aftermarket or retrofits. go figure.

remember, these are the same geniuses that decreed that i
                          had to put a rollbar in the K5 because "it has a fiberglass roof"
                          despite the truck passing DOT rollover standards for 1982.........

Comment

• I think I'll wear my fingers to a nub sanding these grille bars! Even as easy as the skim coat filler sands, it's still time consuming! I spent 4 hours just sanding between each grille bar to get the excess removed. Then began to individually sand the top surface for an hour and only got about 5 bars in one side done. I can see a full day of sanding before I get to where I can spray high build primer!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                              I think I'll wear my fingers to a nub sanding these grille bars! Even as easy as the skim coat filler sands, it's still time consuming! I spent 4 hours just sanding between each grille bar to get the excess removed. Then began to individually sand the top surface for an hour and only got about 5 bars in one side done. I can see a full day of sanding before I get to where I can spray high build primer!
                              That IS one of those fussy little jobs but it's also one of those things that make a big difference in the final product. Sand On!

Dan

Comment

• The Austin is a fine example of Vall's work... I was impressed!

Comment

Working...
                                X