No announcement yet.

1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four days is about all I can handle of sitting watching the boob tube, so had to get out of the house. Could have had my door handle clips shipped to me, but good excuse to go somewhere, so I drove over to Chevs of the 40's and picked them up. Got a nifty black T shirt also, but not really for free. They charged me Wa. tax on my vent window weatherstrip, and couldn't refund me, so gave me a T shirt instead. Woopie!

I pulled my interior door handles off and put the six new escutcheons on all of them. They're slightly smaller, and will hold the handles on much better. Reset my choke and fast idle so it's lower, and turns off sooner. It cam just cranked as far closed as some idiot could crank it.
    I still need to install the speedo cable, but it can wait until I'm healed up more.
    Another club get together tomorrow, and another excuse to drive it!

Comment

• you can get a refund from the State, it's the stupidest thing ever.... but as our governors are doing a race to an IQ of zero, it is what it is.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        you can get a refund from the State, it's the stupidest thing ever.... but as our governors are doing a race to an IQ of zero, it is what it is.
        Not since last July Aaron. Washington changed their sales tax rules, so anything picked up in state is charged sales tax, even if the buyer is out of state. If they'd told me so, I could have had the weatherstrip shipped to me for less than sales tax and gas to drive there. But they told me if I paid online, I could come and get it without paying tax. So it was their error, and the state wants their tax regardless.
        In the future if I have a large purchase price item, I'll simply have it shipped and save the sales tax, now that I know. Funny that they called to tell me they'd charge me $.17 cents tax, but not before to tell me about the $14 sales tax added.

Comment

• Would you be kind enough to include a link to this nice $50 wiper kit? I'm thinking the model A should have one - and it might even be easier in the falcon than messing with converting the old vacuum style stuff. Here's one on amazon - stainless made for a boat - looks promising:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OU0HI24...NrPXRydWU&th=1
          Last edited by milner351; June 18, 2020, 11:29 AM.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Would you be kind enough to include a link to this nice $50 wiper kit? I'm thinking the model A should have one - and it might even be easier in the falcon than messing with converting the old vacuum style stuff. Here's one on amazon - stainless made for a boat - looks promising:
            You bet! Here's the one I got. I hooked it to my battery with jumpers today to see how it works, and parks. Looked great, so I'll get it installed sometime soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Stree...53.m2749.l2649

Same seller has dual kits for under $85.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-12v-Sta...p2056016.l4276
            Last edited by 1946Austin; June 18, 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• I finally got the '39 out on the freeway today! It drove great, and when I hit about 50 mph it shifted into overdrive and the rpm's dropped down around 1800 rpm. I accelerated up to around 65 mph, and it downshifted back to 3rd, and then up to 4th when I backed off at 65 mph. So it downshifts, and upshifts great, and cruises around 2200 rpm at 65 mph.
              I love the overdrive automatic, and can't wait to take a longer drive to see how she does on fuel consumption! Hoping it will be something around 18 mpg or better, but no idea for sure what to expect?

When I got home I did a quick inspection of the underside, and found a small drip at the lower radiator hose. Looks like the clamp needs to be moved slightly to get it straitened up, and then snugged down. It ran around 175-180 degrees with temps around 90 degrees today.

Comment

• was it hard getting the protesters off your grill?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  was it hard getting the protesters off your grill?
                  I avoided them since I've got so much time into making the grille from pieces!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

I avoided them since I've got so much time into making the grille from pieces!
                    makes sense

Comment

• After our father's day breakfast we headed home before noon, and I tackled a couple small check list items. First the replacement gas pedal, as it was going to be the most work. Bolt pattern matched the old pedal, but the arm length didn't. So had to move the pedal up about 3/8". Luckily a pair of fender washers on either side of the firewall covered the old holes, and left it looking like it was always there.
                      Then I laid out for another big hole to run the speedometer cable end through. I was able to hide the exit low on the cowl where the firewall is hidden behind a support, and wouldn't show the hole. Got it done, and the cable connected on both ends. Then cut a piece of heater hose and wrapped the cable until the hose was tight in the hole. Sealed with some black RTV, and laid the carpet back down with some more adhesive.
                      I'll get a lighter receptacle next and wire it under the dash. Then I can plug in my GPS to double check the speedometer accuracy, and also have the lighter receptacle later to charge a cell phone or whatever.

Comment

• You know how when a car is new, or newly driving, every little thing freaks you out?

Had to run an errand today, so a 45 mile round trip on the freeway in the '39 was in order. About halfway there I'm enjoying the ride when suddenly drops of wet liquid begin to splatter the windshield! It's a clear blue sky, so I panicked and pulled over. Got out and checked everything, but no sign of a leak. There was a garbage truck ahead of me, and I think these drips of liquid were dripping out his tail end!
                        Scared the crap out of me, but the car was running 170 degrees, and no issues or drips. I finished my run, and on the way home stopped at Old Car Parts to show where all the parts they sold me went. Joe was tickled to see the '39 as he's a big '39 Chevy fan.
                        After I got home I touched up some gloss black under the car's frame that had primer over spray, and then painted and installed my armrests. Wanted to keep going, but it started getting too hot so I wussed out and went indoors.

Comment

• I got a good lesson in why I should always use copper gauge lines yesterday! Just cruising along on the way to meet the guys in my car club for dinner, when suddenly there's smoke everywhere! And since I had the cowl vent and windows open at 91 degrees, it filled the cab with smoke too! I saw an apartment lot and quickly turned in as I shut it down. Got out to see how bad the damage was, and was shocked to see oil running down the front fenders, down the sides of the car, and all over the leading edge of the rear fenders! I popped the hood off, and of course the engine bay was covered in oil also! Just a total oil bath everywhere!
                          After a quick inspection I saw the oil sending line was popped out of it's fitting, and the line appeared to have simply let go from the compression fitting. I called AAA and got a rollback to haul the '39 home. Then before doing anything else, I mixed up a bath of Purple Power degreaser, and began washing down the whole body several times. First time seemed to remove all the oil, but a couple more to be sure. Also washed down the engine and engine bay. My air cleaner was soaked, but fortunately it's a washable element, so I'll remove it and wash it separately.
                          Went to my local Autozone and bought a copper gauge line kit, and another gallon of oil. Dipstick showed almost nothing left in the engine, but I got it turned off quickly, so doubt it was hurt. I also got a pair of valve cover gaskets as I wanted to double check valve lash soon anyway, so might as well do so now.
                          Once the line is replaced, I've got to get underneath and check the bottom side of the car also. When it rolled off the tow truck I saw the bed of the truck had oil drips everywhere from oil running down the frame of the '39! So I'm pretty sure there's going to be a ton of underside cleanup also!
                          And I also realized I'd forgotten a major item of every build I do....a fire extinguisher! The oil on the headers had tried to catch fire, but fortunately not enough to get going. But it reminded me I never got a fire extinguisher yet, so I'll get one today, and mount it in the car! Going to be a long day today cleaning up everything. I'll never use the plastic gauge lines again!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                            I got a good lesson in why I should always use copper gauge lines yesterday! Just cruising along on the way to meet the guys in my car club for dinner, when suddenly there's smoke everywhere! And since I had the cowl vent and windows open at 91 degrees, it filled the cab with smoke too! I saw an apartment lot and quickly turned in as I shut it down. Got out to see how bad the damage was, and was shocked to see oil running down the front fenders, down the sides of the car, and all over the leading edge of the rear fenders! I popped the hood off, and of course the engine bay was covered in oil also! Just a total oil bath everywhere!
                            After a quick inspection I saw the oil sending line was popped out of it's fitting, and the line appeared to have simply let go from the compression fitting. I called AAA and got a rollback to haul the '39 home. Then before doing anything else, I mixed up a bath of Purple Power degreaser, and began washing down the whole body several times. First time seemed to remove all the oil, but a couple more to be sure. Also washed down the engine and engine bay. My air cleaner was soaked, but fortunately it's a washable element, so I'll remove it and wash it separately.
                            Went to my local Autozone and bought a copper gauge line kit, and another gallon of oil. Dipstick showed almost nothing left in the engine, but I got it turned off quickly, so doubt it was hurt. I also got a pair of valve cover gaskets as I wanted to double check valve lash soon anyway, so might as well do so now.
                            Once the line is replaced, I've got to get underneath and check the bottom side of the car also. When it rolled off the tow truck I saw the bed of the truck had oil drips everywhere from oil running down the frame of the '39! So I'm pretty sure there's going to be a ton of underside cleanup also!
                            And I also realized I'd forgotten a major item of every build I do....a fire extinguisher! The oil on the headers had tried to catch fire, but fortunately not enough to get going. But it reminded me I never got a fire extinguisher yet, so I'll get one today, and mount it in the car! Going to be a long day today cleaning up everything. I'll never use the plastic gauge lines again!

its even more fun when it blows off at the gauge end in the car
                            and sprays 200+ degree oil all over you, deep frying your skin
                            wherever it touches plus soaking the seats and carpet AND
                            coating the inside of the windshield and side windows.

ask me how i know.

you are wise in your "copper line only from now on" decision.
                            myself ive gone to electric senders, this is my normal 'go to'
                            setup---

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-23...3013841&sr=8-4

its a bit small but it works fantastic for me. and no more deep
                            fried feet!

Comment

• none of those lines are no-maintenance. copper eventually work hardens then cracks - usually right at the fitting. I know period correct, but maybe consider an electronic gauge? On motors I really care about, I'll put a fluid-filled gauge somewhere on the motor....

Comment

• I, too, have gone to electric OP gages. Monk was kind enough to send me the one on Mutt. Another alternative is the Auber electronic gages - I have one for boost now. The Auber gages are really nice. I do run a copper line for my exhaust manifold pressure gage which helps my turbo guy know if we sized the turbine side of the turbo properly. It has a copper line but with LOTS of support along the way. I use Adel clamps pretty much wherever I can get them and try to get one as close to the fitting as possible with the goal of preventing vibration. As Aaron says, they WILL fatigue if given half a chance.

EDIT: As nice as the Auber gages are they probably don't fit the vibe of your build. The Stewart-Warner round gage that Monk sent would fit right in, however.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; June 24, 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X