• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

its even more fun when it blows off at the gauge end in the car
    and sprays 200+ degree oil all over you, deep frying your skin
    wherever it touches plus soaking the seats and carpet AND
    coating the inside of the windshield and side windows.

ask me how i know.

you are wise in your "copper line only from now on" decision.
    myself ive gone to electric senders, this is my normal 'go to'
    setup---

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-23...3013841&sr=8-4

its a bit small but it works fantastic for me. and no more deep
    fried feet!
    Do those gauge sets come with the senders? It doesn't say if they do or not? The size wont work for me as I already have 2" holes, so need 2" gauges to fill them.

I spent this morning installing the copper tubing kit, but I'm open to going electronic oil pressure gauge if I can find one with silver or chrome trim ring, and white face. So the copper line may be a temp fix.
    The cleanup today was extensive, but not as bad as I thought since I did the degreaser and hosed it down yesterday. I have a K&N washable air cleaner, so just washed the element (twice!) and put it back on. Spent some time polishing aluminum that was discolored from the oil slick!
    Under the car wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Seems most of it ran off on the rollback that brought it home last night.
    Last edited by 1946Austin; June 24, 2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      none of those lines are no-maintenance. copper eventually work hardens then cracks - usually right at the fitting. I know period correct, but maybe consider an electronic gauge? On motors I really care about, I'll put a fluid-filled gauge somewhere on the motor....
      There are other alternatives. I run actual hose between the engine and a bulkhead fitting on the firewall and then another hose between the bulkhead and the gauge. Seems we don't have a problem with that for brakes, fuel, power steering, oil coolers ....

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

There are other alternatives. I run actual hose between the engine and a bulkhead fitting on the firewall and then another hose between the bulkhead and the gauge. Seems we don't have a problem with that for brakes, fuel, power steering, oil coolers ....
        Hose? What kind of hose holds up to 100 psi, and engine oil temps?

I did look at braided oil gauge lines, and they seem like another possible option. Under $30 for a 4 ft. braided line with fittings.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

Do those gauge sets come with the senders? It doesn't say if they do or not? The size wont work for me as I already have 2" holes, so need 2" gauges to fill them.

yes they come with the senders. and im sure you could either
          machine a reducer bushing or even weld the 2" shut and
          redrill--but i know what youre saying. i dont wanna do double
          work anymore than the next guy.

im sure the copper will be fine-like any other hose/wiring system,
          try to make sure the first inch or so coming out of the fitting or
          terminal is straight, and dont let the weight hang on it-support
          the hose however you can-zip ties, addel clamps, bungie cords,
          duct tape.....

Comment

Hose? What kind of hose holds up to 100 psi, and engine oil temps? ...\
            Our Parker Store (Goodyear Rubber) has hose that is more than up to the challenge. I have been running one that holds 80PSI and 300 degree oil for 80K miles without issue (actually, I have changed in once in that time frame). But to your point, I also considered braided line as hose.

Comment

• Pretty sure Classic makes 2" gages in about any color combo you want. Also worth looking at VDO as they have a pretty broad selection - that's what I put in the Volvo to match the OEM stuff.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; June 25, 2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• I found a Bosch gauge that's electric, and has a face that matches well. Only issue was the gauge is not a 280 degree dial like I have now. Not sure I like their small swing of around 100 degrees?

Comment

I found a Bosch gauge that's electric, and has a face that matches well. Only issue was the gauge is not a 280 degree dial like I have now. Not sure I like their small swing of around 100 degrees?
                  there was a point in past where I used new internals behind an older gauge so I maintained continuity. Nowadays, you can get custom faces - so you don't even need to pull a couple gauges apart to match..... try speedhut.com or autometer... funny thing is it is pretty affordable.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

there was a point in past where I used new internals behind an older gauge so I maintained continuity. Nowadays, you can get custom faces - so you don't even need to pull a couple gauges apart to match..... try speedhut.com or autometer... funny thing is it is pretty affordable.
                    Yes, gauge prices have really gotten much lower in recent years. Even Autometer has begun to offer inexpensive gauges!

Comment

• Well I'm irritated today. I decided to drive the car around to burn off the oil that was left on the exhaust pipes, but also wanted to see how far down my tank would go before running out of gas. I took a 2 gal. gas can with me, and stayed near town where I could pour the gas in and then get to a station to fill it.
                      It went right down to just damp before I ran out, which surprised me. Poured the 2 gal. in the tank, and then at the gas station I filled it as full as it could go to see the full tank amount. It took 9.7 gal. of gas, so a 12 gal. cell.
                      This is when I got pissed off. I bought this as a 15.5 gal. fuel cell, and of course that's been much too long ago to do anything about it now. I really wanted as large as I could fit under the trunk, and now I'm 3 gal. short of what I was told it is. Pisses me off.
                      And I removed the foam cell from this tank before installing it, so it should have gained volume, not lost volume! It must have been that new foam that adds volume when you put it in your fuel cell.
                      I did the calculations today, which are LxWxH divided by 231, and it came out 12.7 gal. That's external measurements, so likely 12.5 gal. inside.
                      Last edited by 1946Austin; June 25, 2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Bummer!

Dan

Comment

Well I'm irritated today.......

(from my 10 year old niece, with a 'poke' each time...)
                          "is it as irritating as this? is it as irritating as this?
                          is it as irritating as this? is it as irritating as THIS?"............

d@mn kid....gotta love her.

Comment

Yes, but more irritating. She'll eventually stop, but this will last forever!

Comment

I've found tossing them in a garbage can discourages such behavior.... like I did with a cousin at my brother's funeral
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I've found tossing them in a garbage can discourages such behavior.... like I did with a cousin at my brother's funeral
                                i once picked up a guy by his throat and b@lls-- he sucker punched me
                                when i was the doorman for moulinrouge-- and body slammed him inside
                                a rolling dumpster that was a few feet away.......
                                close enough?

but shes ten, man. im sure a kick to the face will suffice, no need to
                                get nasty...

Comment

Working...
                                X