1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I usually scope out the background in picture, and I don't recall ever seeing your circulator.

Humor us? I'd love a picture of rafters and a red box.

I have a LARGE squirrel cage fan from a furnace that I want to mount in the haymow just to leave running on a low setting to keep the air moving.

My HVAC guy says the key to making it stay running without kicking off (its direct drive modern stuff) is to RESTRICT the air inlet. He claims they need that load on them to avoid some safety thing from kicking in and shutting it down. So that's on my list too, maybe it will help someone reading this to get theirs working.
    Rafters

Red box

easy, no?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5499_200395499 is on sale right now. 9k btu, 75 bucks. For another 25 you can get the adapter hose (overpriced!!) to put it on a 20 pound propane tank.

I'm thinking about it'd dad the Big Buddy that also has a forced air fan - what I like is the low O2 shutoff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51678m5_ts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.1 KB ID:	1284592
      I don't want any propane heater that takes the small tanks. I prefer it either uses a large propane tank, or natural gas. Unless I could use an adapter hose in place of the small tanks to feed it.
      That one appears to take both size tanks, but it's not fan forced, so no different than the one I have now. I'd like a fan to circulate the heat and distribute it better.
      Last edited by 1946Austin; December 7, 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Understood - I could make use of the mobility with the carry around kind and I'd definitely get it's big brother that has a fan built in for my use. It's also twice as big, 18k, which is more suitable for me. I have burned myself on the bottle top type one too many times from operator error *(drunk probably). The hoses adapt the 1 pound canister fitting on one end to OPD style larger tank fitting on the other. The hoses are kind of stupid expensive for what they are. I already have one for a portable grill though so it's a wash for me.

I'm looking at a 30k ventless natural gas infra-red as well since the garage already has a gas drop for a dryer. I'm not sure exactly how a fan works with infra-red? I haven't studied it much. I have a house sized furnace already in the garage but that would need to be hooked up. That turns into ducting and more work than I'm likely to do to be honest, but natural gas would definitely be more cost effective and convenient.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• It appears that one comes with the hose anyway, so you wouldn't need a hose to use it with a tank. But a hose that's not very long means it's portability isn't all that great. If it takes two hands to carry tank and heater it's not going to help much.
          I'd like one I can wall mount up front, and has a swivel mount so I could direct it where I want it. And of course fan forced.
          I haven't burnt myself on my tank mounted heater, but I keep it back a bit anyway, as it gets pretty warm if too close. But I have melted my coveralls when I was on my back working near it, and felt my knee was getting hot. When I looked my pants leg was hard and brittle from being to close. Those were my summer lightweight coveralls and they're pretty much trashed after that. Not sure why I wore them in the winter anyway?

Comment

• After installing the longer shackles the other day, I noticed my shocks were actually almost topped out. Didn't want rebound to damage them internally, so I planned to raise the lower mounting points on the axle end. Got to looking at my brackets I built and discovered I could get about 1.5" extra by flipping them side to side, which turned them upside down also. Just a small relief cut on a non structural area allowed it to lay flat on the opposite side and gain the extra length needed.
            My new trans dipstick tube came to eliminate the ugly van dipstick tube I had. So installed that also. Easy to install, but wrestling the old one out was a chore.

Comment

• Weatherman blew it today, and instead of cold, heavy rains, we got 60 degrees, windy, and warm, with almost no rain until a few minutes ago. So decided it was warm enough to spread some filler, and got my bumper fillers mudded in and sanded.

Then moved on to the Austin seats.

Comment

• it was 57 at 2 pm. It's 30 and snowing now....

Comment

• It's dropped here since late afternoon, and now it's pouring hard, and winds about 30 mph!

Comment

• Ordered a Line Lock kit recently and it arrived today. I couldn't help but scratch my head when I opened the package.

That's a faux leather hard box, with magnetic latches! It came with switch, light, inline fuse, and solenoid; all for $32. And of course the box that I'll find some other use for. Crazy.

Comment

• So a couple days ago I head to the shop, and tear my brake line apart to plumb in the line lock. Go buy a short line with ends, and cut the existing line and put a new flare on it to pipe the line lock in. Get it all plumbed, and wired, and check to see if I hear the click indicating the solenoid works. All OK, so I close up for the day, and figure I'll go back and bleed the brake line later.
                      Well today was later, and after getting my tools and my vacuum pump out, I begin to open up the master cylinder to check fluid first. Then it hits me smack in the head as I'm looking at my plumbing job! I plumbed the damn line lock into my rear brake line! What an idiot! I think somebody needs to hide my tools from me, as my dyslexia is screwing with my ability to work on my cars!
                      So I tear the lines off, bend up new lines and reassemble the rear brake line. Then tear apart the front, plumb in the line lock, and finally get the brakes bled! Would have been hilarious to go do a test run, and set the line lock, and hit the pedal to see how it worked, and just drive away with the rear brakes locked up! Duh.

Comment

• I've had days like that, though I never realized dyslexia could make you confuse the front and the rear of a car... learnin'

Comment

• Lexdisia? I'm weird that way (and many other ways, I know......). I'm fine with letters but numbers move around on me. It takes years (literally) for me to learn a new phone number. I have to check and recheck then check again when assembling an engine, etc. where measurements are required. Donna Timney was kind enough to find me a race number that I could remember and it's been a real help (sequential numbers for the win). But so far I have been able to tell the front from the rear - as long as the car's front and rear are not numbered.

Dan

Comment

• I wish I could even explain what my mind was doing when I looked at the master cylinder and lines, and decided the line from MC to prop valve was the one to splice the line lock to? If I could, I might be able to solve dyslexia for many others, besides myself! Nor can I explain why it jumped out at me a couple days later when I looked at it, and thought, "How could you be so stupid?"
                            I've been dyslexic my whole life, and in my very early years it baffled my parents, and teachers as to what the problem was. Of course being 70 yrs. old, when I was a young school kid the teachers knew virtually nothing about it. Most told my parents I was "lazy" or a "goof off" because they said they knew I was smart, but I didn't "apply it" in class. I never could figure out the differences between numbers in math and letters of the alphabet, as it all looked like hieroglyphics to my brain. I was in 5th grade, being pushed along each year, before something clicked, and suddenly it all began to work. I give credit to a male teacher I had that year who told my parents he didn't care what I read, as long as my parents made sure I read things I enjoyed, and read a lot! My dad took me to the local Goodwill store every Saturday, and we went through stacks of comic books, and old car magazines at $.01 cent a piece, and I loaded up a week's worth of reading. That year I went from a straight D student barely passing, to a B+ student.
                            But I still occasionally get things reversed, and especially have to write down numbers of things when I hear or see them, to ensure I keep them right. Heck, a buddy asked me for my cell number the other day, and I knew it, but wasn't sure I had the numbers in the correct order! Had to have him call me and see if it rang (it didn't) and then I realized which numbers I'd reversed.

Got to put a pressure regulator, and gauge in my fuel line soon. At least there's only one fuel line, so no chance of getting the wrong one!

Comment

• My oldest bro (he's 78) had the same issues in school. He's the kind of guy who puts his head down and plows forward so he got thru school sort of OK but with a ton of hard work. I believe he was in college before someone figured out what was going on for him and the information helped him sort out how to deal with it. Seems like life throws all of us curve balls!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                                My oldest bro (he's 78) had the same issues in school. He's the kind of guy who puts his head down and plows forward so he got thru school sort of OK but with a ton of hard work. I believe he was in college before someone figured out what was going on for him and the information helped him sort out how to deal with it. Seems like life throws all of us curve balls!

Dan
                                I was well out of school and in my late 20's before someone told me I was likely dyslexic, and they knew the signs because they were also. I didn't care by then, and hadn't had any big issues since my middle school issues. I did have issues occasionally with reading comprehension, and often made notes while reading as it seemed if I wrote myself notes it helped understanding what I read.
                                Wasn't until our youngest granddaughter began grade school, and had issues reading that I mentioned to my daughter she should have her checked for dyslexia. Turns out she inherited it too, and has a much more severe form than I had. At least it's giving her more trouble, later in life than I had. She's in high school now, and still has issues reading, and figuring out how to sound out what she sees. No problem just communicating, and she's got a talent for art that's amazing. But she's embarrassed by her reading, which makes it even tougher to read in a classroom situation. This last school year at home hasn't helped her, or a lot of kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X