1939 Chevy coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post

His number is 503-252-0650. Ask for Chris.
    thanks mang imma call him soon.

Comment

Hotter than heck out there today! Got out before 9:00, but it took 5 hours to do the lettering, and when I finally finished it was already mid 80's. The large door stencils were a PITA to do thee 2nd part that is the thin black line. I finally cut all the excess vinyl stencil back to within 1/4" just so I could see where I was situating them. Also cut the "Miller's" separate from the lower part so I could place them 1/2 at a time. Messed up one "S" on Miller's and had to freehand it with just the outer border as the inner border wrinkled up and stuck to itself! Arrggg! I'm shaky as heck, but by going slowly it worked out.

Here's the procedure. Put tape down to set them the same for both sides, and then align the top and one side to the marked out tape. Then just paint in the stencil.

Then after it dries remove the first stencil, and stick the 2nd stencil down over the painted area, and then paint in the black borders. That is once you've figured out how to align the first with the 2nd!
      Let that dry, and remove the 2nd stencil. I had to touch up some red and black both, as I had some run under the stencil patterns. But just a few dabs of color to cover here and there, and all was well.

I just might be done with this project now. Time to drive the wheels off it!
      looking SWEET there, broseph....

Comment

• Drove to our local vintage Flying A station today to get some pictures. Owner happened to stop in while I was there, and asked me to please send him copies for the scrapbook he keeps. This place is used by all the local hotrodders to take car pictures.

Comment

• Loved the "Lettering" Especially when applied in the "Old Skool Way"...
          Back....."Way Before the Turn of the Century" we "Short Track Raced" we Masking Taped the Large Lettering, and "Hand Brushed" the smaller stuff......
          I will see if I can take Pix of the Old pictures, still in my Display Cabinet.

Comment

• Thanks! I really didn't want to do anything but painted lettering. But tried hard to get others to do it, as I was hesitant to take this on knowing if I screwed it up it meant more than just messed up lettering! The sign shop tech actually set it up for the black border to fit the red letters, but I ended up shifting it accidentally at first, and then liked the look, so I duplicated the slight shift on all of it.
            When I sent him pictures for his files, he commented on the shift too, and said he thought it looked better than what he planned for it. So I guess it was an accidental win!

Comment

• Accidental win is still a win!

Dan

Comment

• Took a run up North yesterday to a Friday night cruise. On the way home I began to hear a sound like joints in the highway, except the noise didn't line up with the joints, and was way more frequent! I slowed down and the noise got less, and at around 50 mph it was not there at all. Wasn't far from my exit, so kept going and no problem. I looked at the right rear tire where the noise seemed to be coming from, but didn't see anything.
                This morning I got back out and jacked up the right rear to spin the tire, and soon saw this:

Thought the cap was coming off the slicks, but it seems to actually be a separation in the tread itself. Took pictures and called up Towel City to talk to them. The guy was very nice, and said once they got the pictures they'd look at them and get a new tire out to me asap.
                Glad it was small and didn't let go and tear up a fender!
                Last edited by 1946Austin; June 5, 2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Got in contact with Towel City who makes the slicks I have. They told me the slicks have a 1 yr. warranty, and I bought them almost 2 years ago, but only started driving them maybe 6 months ago, and only has 3300 miles on them. I told the rep that a one year warranty meant nothing to most hotrodders who buy their tires during a build, and might not drive their cars for years after the purchase. He said he understood, and would consider that.
                  Today I spoke with him again, and he said they'd sell me a new tire, built on a brand new casing as I have now, for $150 shipped to my door. So about $90 for the tire, and $60 for shipping. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, and I'm not too pleased with the outcome, but not much else I can do that wont be much more money. They'll ship the new tire in a week.
                  I did look into MT Sportsman Pro tires, as their 28-12.5-15LT is similar size, but about 1.25" wider. It's not a slick, so I'd lose the piecrust look, but it's an option. $479 a pair shipped to me, so I may consider them if I have any issues with these in the future.

Comment

• I think there will soon be a day of reckoning for companies who have cavalier towards their customers. Sure, right now there is scarcity, but once inflation takes hold - they will be begging to get back the very people who they mistreated. screw em.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Got in contact with Towel City who makes the slicks I have. They told me the slicks have a 1 yr. warranty, and I bought them almost 2 years ago, but only started driving them maybe 6 months ago, and only has 3300 miles on them. I told the rep that a one year warranty meant nothing to most hotrodders who buy their tires during a build, and might not drive their cars for years after the purchase. He said he understood, and would consider that.
                      Today I spoke with him again, and he said they'd sell me a new tire, built on a brand new casing as I have now, for $150 shipped to my door. So about $90 for the tire, and $60 for shipping. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, and I'm not too pleased with the outcome, but not much else I can do that wont be much more money. They'll ship the new tire in a week.
                      I did look into MT Sportsman Pro tires, as their 28-12.5-15LT is similar size, but about 1.25" wider. It's not a slick, so I'd lose the piecrust look, but it's an option. $479 a pair shipped to me, so I may consider them if I have any issues with these in the future.
                      this is why i have $99 each, 31x10.5x15 truck radials under the rear of my 55...
                      cheap as well as easy/common to replace, plus it IS a truck tire so its got 6 ply
                      sidewalls, super strong for my application.

i realize the look isnt "correct", but i wont mind burning rubber with $99 tires
                      either....

Click image for larger version

Name:	centercap02.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1295484

Name:	newtire02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1295485

Name:	2ndcut.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1295486

Comment

• o
                        Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

this is why i have $99 each, 31x10.5x15 truck radials under the rear of my 55...
                        cheap as well as easy/common to replace, plus it IS a truck tire so its got 6 ply
                        sidewalls, super strong for my application.

i realize the look isnt "correct", but i wont mind burning rubber with $99 tires
                        either....

Name:	centercap02.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1295484

Name:	newtire02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1295485

Name:	2ndcut.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1295486
                        soooo, how does it drive with the truck tires?
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I just can't see those type tires under my '39 for any reason, ever. I might spring for drag radials, but they too look out of place on a 60's style gasser build. The MT Pro at least is a squared off tread design that hasn't changed since the 70's, and would be the only other tire I'd consider.
                          Towel City has dropped recaps in the size I have completely. All their pie crust slicks are now built on new Michelin casings, so I am getting two tires instead of one. I'll pay full price for the 2nd tire, and once they arrive I'll keep the good slick from my '39 as a spare for my Austin, that also has the same tire. The end price is a little less than buying the MT tires, but I'll have the pie crust slicks, and they'll be new radials, unlike the MT Pro that are a belted design.
                          Hopefully this will be the end of this if the newly made tires are better than their recaps.

Comment

• Alternator woes. I have been watching the alternator voltage lately, as it seemed high. Knew my gauge reads 1 volt high, but it's still been running about 15.5vdc, and then the last time I drove it it had climbed to 16 volts, and today was at 18vdc! So I pulled it off, and tried a spare 12SI I had. More amperage, but that's not a bad thing. But after swapping them the 12SI didn't work at all. In fact when I hooked it up my voltage dropped below the battery voltage when the engine was running.
                            Took both alternators to the local Autozone and was told their machine is down. Then on to two O'Reilly's before I found one with a machine that worked. After debating how to figure out what they are, even though both had parts numbers stamped on them! I finally told him to try a '75 Camaro, and he found a picture of my 10SI alternator. He tests both and comes back to tell me they both test fine.
                            I asked how one with no output and one running 4 volts too high could both read good? He said he didn't know, but his machine says they're fine. I finally told him to keep the 10SI as a core, and give me the replacement.
                            Got it home and on the '39, and all is back to normal. It runs at 14 volts, and seems to be fine. Not sure I'll ever use the free check service at either stores again? Seems pretty worthless to me?

Comment

• I've had this problem on my Off Road Samurai,
                              I had to run a NEW 10 GA wire from the Alternator to the Battery.
                              Resistance anywhere fools the internal Voltage Regulator, and or cut out relay.

Just an Idea

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                I've had this problem on my Off Road Samurai,
                                I had to run a NEW 10 GA wire from the Alternator to the Battery.
                                Resistance anywhere fools the internal Voltage Regulator, and or cut out relay.

Just an Idea
                                I have an entirely new wiring system I bought and installed. Not an old wire in the car, and the batt. wire from the alternator is a #10 awg.

Comment

Working...
                                X