Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    First of all, best of luck with the medical stuff.

As far as the bodywork, the answer is "yes". That's the way bodywork goes. The difference between a $500 paint job and a $30,000 (or more) paint job is how many iterations of that are done. Don't be fooled - anything that shows in a gloss paint job will show just as bad in a satin paint job. A lot of folks think that they can do less prep with less glossy paint but it really doesn't work like that. Foose gets them done quicker on Overhaulin' by having a significant team that sands the cars like a heard of ants at a picnic.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied

I wish I was better at this bodywork!
    It seems I sand about 75% of all the filler I apply off the car. I have been using Pro Gold skim coat filler for final skimming of the various areas I repaired, and I am not applying much. But then I hit it with the long board and most of it ends up on the floor.
    I use a work light to inspect the sanded filler, and always find something I'm not 100% happy with, so I apply another skim coat, and repeat the sanding. Just seems like for every application I'm getting slightly better finish, but still not exactly what I want yet. I left it today with another coat everywhere I saw minor imperfections, and hope I wont need another, or at least not much more!
    My satin black paint arrived yesterday, and I already have the high build primer. Kinda hoping if I get close enough the high build primer will cover minor imperfections that I'm chasing now, and I can then shoot the satin black.

On a brighter note, our idiot governor announced today she's opening up elective surgeries May 1st! I called my doctor to get my surgery scheduled for the bad gallbladder, but they're waiting for the hospital to also give the go ahead before they schedule me. But they did say my case puts me at the top of the list to go first.

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Very nice. And great score on the shelves too!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I think my window tint is too dark? ;) I figured before I got too far along I better cut filler panels to tape over the window openings and try to keep most of the dust out.

Cut a coupe panels for the engine bay also to help keep it cleaner.

The rear fenders I did yesterday.

Got the hood nose that I had to build up to fix the flat spot also sanded and primed.

And both roof joints sanded and primed.

Once I have the doors and 1/4 panels done I'll get out the 2k primer and shoot the whole car in high build so I can block it out.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    Man you make me feel lazy, I've had a 700R4 on the stand for a month now, and hurts too much to go out there and do the work. Still two weeks before I can drive the GTO anyway, more snow last night and the wind today is insane.

About the Cheeto Checks, because I have SSDI I should have gotten one, but they put the caveat in it that if you make more than just that, you do not get it. So they cut out every crippled veteran doing that. Once again I see just how much Congress likes those of us who worked for them. Meh, oh well, its not like I expect much from them. On the plus side 87 octane is $1.79 and premium is $2.85, so its just under $3 for the first time in 15 years. Still not driving the LS1 Formula $22 to fill the winter beater GP. Yeah gas station owners here think they live in the SF Bay area or something.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    spring cleaning has really put a cramp in my get-er-done.

Leave a comment:

• Teddyzee
    replied
    Nice score!

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Had big plans to knock out a bunch of bodywork today. But got started on the rear fenders and Mike stopped by while walking his dog when he saw the shop open. After a short visit he asked if I'd seen the metal shelving one of our neighbors had put out on the curb? I asked which one and he pointed down the street a couple blocks.
    So fired up the Suburban and drove down to look. It was a huge commercial shelving unit that stood 7 ft. tall and 4 ft. wide!!! Bunch of shelves that if you put all on it you'd have a shelf every 10" likely. I loaded the unit and the shelves in the back, and took them home.
    So then my plan changed and I emptied out the corner that had become sort of a catch all for loose parts, boxes, etc. and moved it all outside. Got the portaband out and cut about 10" off the uprights, to make it short enough to sit in the corner and not hit the eves of the sidewall. Then put 5 shelves on it, and after pushing it into the corner, I screwed it to the wall for safety.
    Loaded up all the parts and tools I had piled around the shop, and I gained a few more feet of floor space in the shop!
    After the shelf distraction I jacked the '39 up and removed both rear wheels. Got out the long board and some stick on 60 grit and knocked down the filler on both rear fenders, and the roof joints. So did get a little bodywork done.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Tinkering around today on little things since I can't get any help installing glass yet. Cleaned up the wing window channels and did get both wing window glass installed. Then wired in my dome light and tested it.
    After that I got out my weatherstrip for the trunk and installed it. It really makes the trunk lid tough to latch, but hopefully once it sits closed it will seat in and be easier later to latch.
    Grabbed all 4 of my window and wing window cranks and cut the knobs off them. They're stuck and I got repair kits from a friend who sells United Pacific, and they somehow had the kits. After cutting the knobs off I drilled the shafts out and then polished the old handles on my buffing wheel to try to make them more presentable. They came out good enough, so I installed the new knob kits. I also got bezels to go under the cranks to trim them out. Found some late 30's Ford pieces, and used a big unibit to open up the center hole and make them fit the Chevy cranks.
    Dug out my rear view mirror and center bar for the windshield. Cleaned and sanded both and painted satin black to match the moldings.
    Hope I can get a chance to go to Lowes or Home Depot to grab a couple sheets of ABS to cover with my diamond pattern upholstery material. Would like to build panels and cover them soon, just for something else to do.
    Short 4 hours, but got enough done today.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by convss View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if our elected officials could act in the best interest of the PEOPLE for once and not be so worried about making accusations and pointing fingers!?

next time you vote, remember that pelosi and her fellow democrats impeached trump for
    "witholding aid to ukraine to serve his personal agenda" and then TWICE derailed the stimulus
    checks because it didnt have enough millions in it for their pet projects.

basically, the same thing they impeached trump for supposedly doing.

and they did it to you, me, and every american citizen during a worldwide pandemic
    and financial crisis.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    I backed the '39 outside today to accomplish two tasks. First I needed to fix my garage flooring system. It seems it's too flexible as it was rippling up as I drove into the shop the other day, creating big waves in it, and irritating the heck out of me. Might be the warm weather? So I got the car outside and using anchors, and 1/4" fender washers I anchored the crap out of it every couple feet in every direction. Seems to have secured it as it stayed flat when I put the '39 back inside.
    I also wanted to sand some of the filler, and apply some more too. I got that done, so a tiny bit closer on the bodywork. And I wanted the doors wide open as the bottom side of the roof gutters above the doors needed a thin coat of Pro Gold filler to get them smooth.
    Before I put it back inside I drilled and pinned my gas pedal. It's a polished aluminum I put in and the set screws wont hold it from slipping. So I set it where I like it, and drilled clear through the arm and shaft to install a roll pin. Wont be adjustable anymore, but darn sure wont slip.
    Took it for another test drive around the block since I shortened the TVR cable and it's shifting where I want now. Pretty snappy 1-2 shift that gets your attention under power! While cruising around the block I came face to face with a city police car. Me with no windshield, and it didn't register what he was at first. Then as I passed we locked eyes. I figured I was doomed as I saw his brake lights come on, so I turned the next corner and headed home quickly. Never saw him again, so maybe he had better things to do?

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm still trying to figure out how to apply for that illegal immigrant money in California. I don't live in California, have no intention of living there but would be glad to take their money... I must be qualified.
    I'm still waiting for our stimulus corona check! Supposed to be direct deposit like our social security, but so far nothing. Everybody I know has gotten theirs!

Leave a comment:

• oletrux4evr
    replied
    Fly down to Mexico and sneak back across the border. Claim asylum.
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 16, 2020, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Would be nice if elected officials served ALL the people, and not just their special interests or parties.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to apply for that illegal immigrant money in California. I don't live in California, have no intention of living there but would be glad to take their money... I must be qualified.

Leave a comment:

• 1946Austin
    replied
    Would be nice if elected officials served ALL the people, and not just their special interests or parties.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X