Project: POP (Pile of Parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: POP (Pile of Parts)

Disclaimer: This is going to be a slow, boring thread to follow, without consistent updates. it's a build thread for a car that I don't have yet, hence the name, "Pile Of Parts" or POP.
    POP started over 4 years ago when I saw something interesting on eBay motors, a pair of Chevy NASCAR R07 Cylinder heads, for the ridiculous price of $175, knowing the blocks are made of hen's teeth, I decided I'd pick them up and hang onto them as a sort of rainy day fund/build.

over the years, I've acquired a few parts:

3 sets of cylinder heads
    48 rockers
    a couple of sets of Ti valves from del west
    a billet crank
    a front plate
    a water pump
    belt drive timing set
    a flywheel
    a intake manifold
    a valley pan/water manifold
    valve covers and some interesting spacers
    timing covers
    a couple timing sets
    and some front drive pulleys.
    The heads are absolute works of art,

I'm going to continue slowly picking stuff up here and there, eventually I'll find a block and put all of them to use.

I also have a few tricks up my sleeves, right now, I'm working on developing a lower profile intake system so this beast will fit under a stock, car style hood, which should make for some real fun!

What you're looking at is a basic design for an ITB setup to fit one head, although I'm probably going to start fresh and make many changes. The engine will be EFI, probably run off of something like an MS3 pro, and all 8 throttles will be driven off of a single DBW throttle body motor to simplify idle control (LOL)

Long term goal? build it and put it in a 3rd generation Firebird, or build a tube chassis and go full send it's more likely that I'll do a Firebird though, with a 5 or 6 speed, and an independent rear suspension setup, typical NASCAR engines make about 850 hp on 358 cubic inches, while strictly adhering to a rulebook. I'm hoping that my lack of a rulebook makes my engine just a little bit more fun!
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Ok I have the first dumb question.....the second picture. Is that an un-milled/bottom half of the intake?
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
      Ok I have the first dumb question.....the second picture. Is that an un-milled/bottom half of the intake?
      Coolant manifold....designed to keep cylinders evenly matched for temperature....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Coolant manifold....designed to keep cylinders evenly matched for temperature....
        correct, and very well designed at that, the main passage tapers in width and height as more coolant would enter, promoting even flow from each cylinder.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Ohhh cool! I see it now in the first picture of the heads.

Thanks that's my something new I learned today.
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
            Ohhh cool! I see it now in the first picture of the heads.

Thanks that's my something new I learned today.
            it's a pretty neat setup! the engineering that went into these engines is insane, everything was thought of to ensure it would not only make power, but last forever.

edit:

Saving this for future reference:

Last edited by ejs262; November 19, 2019, 11:47 PM.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

a quick update, got a new part in, and some stuff mocked up.

this is a spray rail to lube the camshaft:

it bolts into the lifter valley above the cam, and floods the cam tunnel, which is scavenged by it's own stage.it has 2 ports on the ends, I think they are there for machining of the manifold, the oil feed appears to be in the bottom of the manifold.

I bolted the heads to the water manifold, so that I could get a better idea of the size of the engine. overall, from the lowest point on the deck surface, to the highest point on the valve cover, it's about 10.5" tall, and a bit over 2' wide at it's widest point. I may end up re-working the water outlet a bit to improve clearance to the intake, as the lower edge of the port may interfere with the upper parts of the water neck, it will be easier to tell once I start printing the intake runners.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I picked up this front drive spindle and water pump pulley, the underdrive on this setup is insane, about 4:1.

The spindle allows for pulleys to be removed and replaced without special tools, as well as allow the crank to be hand rotated. the oil pump drive pulley is a little FUBAR, it will need to be replaced before being put into service.

Crank pulley on top of the water pump pulley illustrates the crazy amount of underdrive.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

I picked up this sweet oil pan! it's segmented, each area has it's own suction for the dry sump.

and a second front plate, picked it up for $10!

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Working...
                  X