Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    some thoughts:
    don't forget this - vortec exhaust ports are different then prior SBC. They will leak with the old manifolds.
    I had TBI with Vortec heads (on my FJ40) - worked fine, eventually I got tired of no top end and went to FiTech. I get better fuel economy now. To get the best of the TBI, you need a better cam. Believe it or not, the Vortec exhaust manifolds aren't that bad - especially since the TBI will utterly choke off the upper rpm range where headers really matter.
    Here's the rub. Flashing a chip is a $100 if you send it to Howell's.... but still you have one-wire o2 sensors and 8-bit technology. Add to this the hassle of sending it back and forth. With that said, I have a friend who flashes those (more importantly he has the gear to do it) - he works for City of Seattle as their technogeek, he also drives a '40.
    Nice thing about TBI is you can use the same fuel pump, but if you ever change to something modern, you'll be dropping the tank and putting in a Walbro.... which is dead simple, it's plug and play.
    using your math..... 4 barrel dual plane for Vortec $100 (I might even have one). FiTech $550 and you have modern tech. Add another $100 for a new fuel pump....
    if you don't have heads, I can't remember if I found the valves for them, but I have a set that are clean and ready to assemble and use.... I even have all the TBI stuff I removed from my '40. I even have the Howell's computer that's already flashed for a turbo 350 trans and eliminates the speedo-sensor requirement.
    I didn't know about the manifold differences, thanks.

The EBL is a pretty awesome computer, it allows for use of the stock TBI unit, and even emissions compliance. it was developed for TBI engines, and later adapted to TPI and other port injection GM engines, it's flashed based, (no chip burning) Bob (the guy who makes it) used to have some of the best customer service you could ask for, and on top of everything else, it's plug and play with the stock computer, it would be very hard to convince me of another option.

I've been thinking alot about this, I'd love the added power, but the truck runs and drives fine right now, and it's looking like quite a bit of money to fix something that isn't broken. I'm starting to think that if I go to the trouble of swapping heads, I'll go with LB9 heads. The LB9 was the 305 TPI engine used in camaros and firebirds in the mid-late 80s, they have smaller chambers, and way better ports. I figure when coupled with a small cam should be good for an added 75 HP or so. Why not vortecs? They are the BEST factory conventional SBC head, there is no questioning that, but the 305 heads would allow me to use my stock intake and exhaust, minimizing the amount of money and effort that would have to be put forth to make the truck whole again, while still providing a very respectable gain both from a small compression jump, and was better intake ports.

That being said, either head will cost money and time to get installed, and both will offer huge power improvements, but with the truck already running fine, and no reason to pull the heads off other than just because, I probably won't mess with it, at least not until middle/late next year. in the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for good deals, and maybe start stockpiling some parts.

Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Loved Your Adventures !!!
    The Pandemic Cancelled my trip to the Northwest VIA Canada Rte 1 last summer !!!!
    But Alls Good, Building a New Travel Base Camp Vehicle for 2021. (see Capt's New Tow Rig)
    That and the new trailer I built in Dec. - Feb. 2020 to haul my Timber Cruiser (Trails Set Up Samurai)
    and the Kabul Kab Service (Ural Motorcycle w/sidecar) will be Hitting the Roads after Spring Break Up
    and I get Vaccinated for the Virus, (plus my boosters for disinitary, yellow fever, malaria, and tetnus....)
    Keep Up The Life off Adventures !!!!
    I was Lucky,my job took me to Get Places to Explore. All over the US and Canada.
    My time in the Navy allowed me to see some interesting places as well, Japan, Singapore, the Philippines, Guam. My goal is to take this truck, or a suburban just like it, to all 49 states accessible by land. So far, I've hit

Alaska
    California
    Colorado
    Idaho
    Kansas
    Montana
    Nevada
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Utah
    Washington
    Wyoming

I'm thinking alot about taking another epic trip here soon, but I have a ton of projects I need to button up first.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

the Vortec heads are smaller chamber like the 305 except the Vortec heads flow far far far far far far far better. The other issue with the 305 heads is good luck finding ones that aren't cracked - they were a thin casting and did not stand the test of time well at all.

I like your original plan. It's a Sunday of swap plus a Sunday of wiring.

something to consider, there are swap heads - not made by GM - which are Vortec design but have dual bolt patterns to retrofit to what you have now..... the cast iron version of these heads are like $500... and they're brand new. Machining old heads... cost at least $500 (with one notable exception in Portland)

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 24, 2020, 08:49 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you bring up a good point. cost also depends on the condition of the "new" heads too, if the decks are flat, and the guides true, they won't need to be machined.

The problem I see with spending >$500 on the heads is the benefit/dollar starts getting crappy compared to doing an LS swap. if I were to pick up a beater truck off copart, it would have everything I need to swap a 4.8/5.3/6.0 into my truck, minus mounts and fuel pump, and would make more power and get better economy.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

LS swap would be what I consider "non-trivial" ... the wiring alone would make me pause. A 6.0 truck won't be cheap and won't do much better on economy either is my bet, and despite great HP numbers for the size, the 5.3 doesn't offer anything super useful for me in the way of torque over a good 350 for a truck... Scott Liggett on here probably still works for BluePrint engines and could talk to you about these, which would still take the TBI equipment I believe...

https://blueprintengines.com/product...sembled-h8002k

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...ain-race-week/
          Last edited by Beagle; December 24, 2020, 01:09 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There are a ton of other benefits to an LSx based engine, but this truck probably won't get one of them either way, I have my sights set on diesel for this one.

In other news...

This isn't what I bought a 3d printer for, but I couldn't resist...

I'll make some revisions, then maybe cast them in aluminum for the finished product.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
              you bring up a good point. cost also depends on the condition of the "new" heads too, if the decks are flat, and the guides true, they won't need to be machined.

The problem I see with spending >$500 on the heads is the benefit/dollar starts getting crappy compared to doing an LS swap. if I were to pick up a beater truck off copart, it would have everything I need to swap a 4.8/5.3/6.0 into my truck, minus mounts and fuel pump, and would make more power and get better economy.
              let me help you with that budget. Where the Vortec head swap is $1000 with cam, headers, intake,etc. The LS motor is $2500 - for a swap with a 200k mile motor... if you do just the basics (cam, accessories, headers, fuel system) you might squeek in at 2k - but don't forget - 200k motors are usually about 2/3rd done.... if you're lucky, if you're not, you're simply rebuilding a motor.

I know this because I've done both - and I don't try to convince the world that $300 4.8 swap was actually $300 to install.... and as topping to that pie - the 5.7 with Vortec heads has more power and torque.

if you want an improvement and you must have a LS - save your pennies for a LS3, 6.0 or 6.2.... but now you're at cummins 6bt money or Duramax money.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 24, 2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I didn't try to imply the vortec head swap would cost more, what I meant, was that if I spend $1000-1500, that gets DEEP into getting stuff for an engine swap, like an LSx engine.

The only way to do a swap like that(LSx, Duramax ect) on any kind of budget is to buy a wrecked truck, take all the stuff you need, and part the rest.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

The only way to do a swap like that(LSx, Duramax ect) on any kind of budget is to buy a wrecked truck, take all the stuff you need, and part the rest.
                  the 6.0 LS in my Buick came from a 2004 Denali that I drove for a couple thousand miles before I parted it out. truth is I used very little of the Denali. You might make money parting one out, but it didn't really save me money to have the entire vehicle.... ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the 6.0 LS in my Buick came from a 2004 Denali that I drove for a couple thousand miles before I parted it out. truth is I used very little of the Denali. You might make money parting one out, but it didn't really save me money to have the entire vehicle.... ymmv.
                    when you have the whole vehicle available for parts, you end up with less nickel and dime parts attacking the budget. I'm also perfectly happy with using the stock intake and exhaust. as long as it fits the application. if I were to go for an LSx engine swap for the pig, I wouldn't touch the engine if it came out of a running vehicle, aside from things like a good thorough cleaning, and replacing leaking seals that are difficult to replace in the truck like the rear main.

I would also argue that every dollar made parting the truck out, is a dollar off the cost of the swap.

I'm pretty crafty, I also have a welder, and not much sense, so parts that don't fit, and be "persuaded", which is more parts that don't have to be purchased.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

as I said, ymmv. Point remains that you'll only use the longblock. With mine the middle cam bearings were shot - I thought it was a low-oil-pressure problem because of the miles... nope. Had I left the oil pressure issue, it wouldn't have lasted another 50k.

and the reason I have an answer to all you say.. I thought the same thing... but as I said, you could do far better and this is my hope for you.

when you're looking for a motor - be sure to pull the valve cover and check for loose rockers, these motors had issues with the roller lifter failing. My H3 ran just fine, but the guy who bought it from me confirmed it really was a lifter rattle that was source of issues... the 6.0 as well had a couple suspect lifters....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 25, 2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Ages ago, I picked up a set of L98 heads for the Pig, they're still untouched. it's been a while since I posted on here, I've been busy. I moved back to the east coast-ish, I'm near Augusta Georgia now, and you bet the Pig made the trip like a champ!

it's been a wild few years with this beast, this map gives an idea of how far I've driven it, to say "over the mountains and through the woods" is a bit of an understatement. this map only connects the extreme points.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a replacement pig, I went with a buddy to the junkyard to pull a tree fiddy jaun for another buddy's F150, after a couple hours we had it out of the church van, and in his minty good 97 F350. On the way back, we stopped for lunch, and while sitting there, he says "My dad is crazy, he wants me to buy this old suburban" this of course, raise my eyebrows and caught my attention. he hands me the phone:

next thing I know...

now, I have a matching pair, one 2wd 3/4 ton, one 4x4 1/2 ton.

the "New" suburban is minty, with the exception of some surface rust on the roof and hood, and a knocking 454. I've got another 454 that I'm going to clean up and throw in it, then I'll fix this 454, and fix the OG Pig Rig's lack of power problem with it.

There's also a pair of Duramax's hidden near me...

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Nice update . Congrats on the move and warmer temps . The new bulb as well .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Love Road Trip Adventures !!!
                            I don't have anything that long for next year, but the Calendar is filling up for 2022.
                            This last summer, took a 2 week tour, 1437 mile, around Lake Michigan trip in the Indy Racer Project. (Posted a daily journal, Concours De Lemons Trip, here on BS)

Comment

I really should not be left unsupervised.... in the past month, I bought 2 more big blocks, and an LBZ Duramax... my plan right now, is to get the truck running with one of the 454's, and drive it a bit. Next step was going to be to put the duramax together, and make a plan to install it in place of the big block... I have on the way, or already at the house or on the way, about 90% of the parts to make the 454 EFI and OBD2, if I was feeling frisky I could even make it emissions compliant...

The LBZ was purchased more or less as a core, but it came with almost everything to make it a running engine

if you're still reading, you'll notice I said "was going to be" not is....

I did a dumb thing and snagged this up cheap. it runs, and drives. Mechanically, it's a complete chassis, the body, or whats left of it is pretty junky. My current plan is to pull the cab and body off, shorten the wheelbase, put a stock suburban tank in the back, and then put the "new" suburban body on the new chassis. Eventually, I'll rebuild the LBZ, and then put it in place of the LB7, and try and find the parts to swap the allision over from a 5 speed, to a 6 speed, which should help with economy. I need to find a manual shift transfer case, I don't expect it to be too hard, I think I already know where two are. I'm still planning on putting one of the 454's together, so I can get the truck driving, then once I move forward with the chassis swap, the OG Pig will get the 454, as well as a 4L80e.

I lined up the front wheels of the OG Pig with the new chassis donor.

you can see here the rear wheels of the donor are further back, I'll need to shorten the chassis to fit, or at least the wheelbase. it's making me rethink quadrasteer again, but I think that will be a longer term project.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

when I got off work this morning, I spent some time taking apart the L21 454. I got the heads and oil pan off, and did a bunch of cleanup.

the valve covers and valley were both pretty clean, I think the underside of the valve covers was cleaned recently. the valley is clean with typical residue.

flat top pistons.

and now some of the ugly... looks like coolant and oil, interestingly, some oil came out of one of the galleries when I rotated the stand over, it wasn't nasty, which is a good sign. none of the rod bearings had noticeable play.

looks like the valve seals were failing, there were some small, soft pieces in the pan/pickup.

I had picked up a new oil pan the same day I picked the L21 up, I'm glad I did, this probably wouldn't fit in the truck.

there was a significant amount of nasty goop in the water jackets. I cleaned it out, and everything I can see looks good, I imagine this engine had dexcool in it, but this didn't look like the dexcool sludge I'd seen in the past.

The bores looked ok, a little glassy, but ok, no ring ridge. the engine supposedly had low compression on one cylinder, if that's the case, it would lead me to believe it's an issue with a head, or head gasket, and not the bottom end. I'll probably pop a main and rod cap tomorrow and make a more comprehensive assessment of the bottom end tomorrow.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Working...
                                X