Truck the Dodge Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck the Dodge Diesel

Evidently I never started a thread on Truck. As a reminder, he's an early 2002 (old body style) Ram 2500 with a Cummins ISB 5.9l and an automatic. The trans was built by Jeff Dobbins (sometimes a Pro Stock driver for hire) and has a Gale Banks billet converter. I installed a FASS fuel supply pump, a BD speed limiter eliminator and an Edge tuner. My best LSR run was 117.8 a few years ago.

The old fella (now with 270K miles) started dripping oil and a bit of coolant out the back of the head joint so it was time to pull the head. Being now old I decided to have Rackley's, the great repair shop down the street, do the job. Those heads are HEAVY! So they got into it and found out that the injectors are tired (2 bad, 2 iffy, and 2 sorta usable as analyzed by our local commercial Diesel service shop) and they shot us over $1K to rebuild them. Rackley's called me and they agreed to let me find a set of replacement injectors for what we were sure would be less money. They were right.

The online search was interesting. Turns out the the injectors and the rest of the fuel system are made by Bosch (no surprise there). If you buy the Bosch injectors in a Cummins box they're over $1200. The same injectors in a Bosch box are a tad over $500. But even better, the 275 HP Bosch injectors as used in most motorhomes are $468, free shipping but tax added from Pure Diesel Power in Marshfield, WI. My engine as found behind the automatic is 240HP. Needless to say, they're on the way.

This is a pretty minor step up on these engines (1,000 HP is not out of reach) but should be a nice improvement. I'm playing with the idea of running C/DT at Loring this summer just 'cause I can. It would be fun to see how much 35HP adds to the top speed.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; February 19, 2020, 07:41 AM.

and so it begins
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What’s next? Compound turbo system?
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Nah. Truck is a DD and trailer tow-er and will stay that way. If the injectors had checked out OK they would have gone back in. What's weird to me is that the 240HP injectors were more $$ than the 275HP units. No logic in that in my little brain.

Dan

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            'Zakly!

Dan

Comment

Maybe volume? Or Dodge wanted some weird spec.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Nah. Truck is a DD and trailer tow-er and will stay that way...
                Come on Dan - both of those can be done with exuberance!

Comment

No lack of exuberance here! But I DO have to keep him within the ditches.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

Are you planning to go Blytheville in April this year, or just Loring in the summer?

Comment

Truck is peppy! I drove it after the Edge install. It was pretty cool to be able to change the power level with the touch screen, it made enough off a difference to notice.

With a gas engine you have to change the tune when you upsize injectors. Is it the same with a diesel?
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Andy - Nope, just Loring this year - it's a matter of $$.

Russell - Not sure but from what I've heard the answer is "no". I was also surprised that most guys get a slight (~5%) fuel economy improvement. My guess is that it takes less skinny pedal to get whatever job you want done, done. I know that with the tuner in "Trailer" (#3) mode I got better FE than with it in stock mode with the old injectors. We'll see how that works with big ones.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

Maybe we can catch up when you visit South Lyon? It's only 15 minutes from my house.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
                            Hi Dan

Maybe we can catch up when you visit South Lyon? It's only 15 minutes from my house.

Andy
                            LOVE to do that! PM me your phone number and I'll stick it in my new magic phone (iPhone 11 - I guess that's a good thing). I'll send mine if you don't have it. We stay at a friend's house off North Territorial and Pontiac Trail (she has a spare house that we have access to) so we'll be available whenever we're not spoiling Grands.

Dan

Comment

Truck update:

I got him back and he ran OK but was way down on power. HUMmmmmm - how could that be? After considerable online searching and head scratching I determined that the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) was out of wack. It's pretty much just a potentiometer that modifies the voltage signal vs. pedal position. I back probed the salient wire and found that the zero pedal voltage was inconsistent varying from 0.0 to 0.35 - not good. The full rack value was about 3.5 volts, also lower than expected. All of this was accompanied with different performance issues than folks with known bad AAPSs were experiencing.

Still, I didn't like the readings and I was experiencing flat acceleration so I decided to DO IT. I could have ordered the APPS on line for as little as $15 or so but with the Covid 19 stuff and its shipping irregularities the arrival date would have been mid-April and I didn't want to wait that long. The only one in town included the bracket and bell crank assembly and was about $200. I held my nose and went for it.

So now it's installed and working like a champ. I can FEEL my extra 30-35 HP and Truck runs great. Sorry I didn't take any pics but I thought it would just be routine maintenance so wasn't worth it. If you guys want to see how it's done it's well documented YouTube.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; March 31, 2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X