No announcement yet.

Truck the Dodge Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True. I mean the having a MAP part, not the Pro Punner -you should have met my Mom - she was The Queen of Puns. You probably couldn't stand the punishment. (groan.......)

But the plot thickens - I picked up the MAP sensor today and that ain't it. There's an IAT and MAP sensor pretty much right next to each other and once I got the broken electrical connector out of the socket I could see the socket doesn't fit the MAP. So the IAT has been on order from Rock so I'll screw it on once it arrives. Either way it's good to know what's wrong.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 15, 2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

so you're saying if you had a map, you'd have bought the right part?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

'Zakly! (Or if I'd checked the plug first).

Dan

Comment

Tenacity for the WIN!!! Turns out it was the MAP. For reasons unknown Mother Mopar put a jumper from a simple Weatherpac 3 prong plug to a weird plug that went to the (apparently) OEM MAP sensor. When I unplugged the jumper wiring harness lead that plugged into the jumper did fit into the MAP sensor that I bought a few days ago. When I removed the broken sensor it turned to indeed be the MAP. So I screwed out the kaput MAP (1 1/16 socket, BTW) and screwed in the new one. after transferring the O-ring. It IS a difficult place to get to but not impossible even for an old fart. Getting the Weatherpac plug in took some doing but it was possible - I was glad that I had done a dry run before I screwed the new sensor in place.

The GREAT news is that Truck is back to his old self though probably with a bit more pep in his step as they would have said in my long-ago childhood. Boost is eager and tops out at about 18 PSI or so. When I have a bit of time I'll look into bumping up a bit more boost but the clipped vanes (Tim clipped them a bit) do give better midrange and a little more on the top end as he predicted. Being an automatic I can't just screw in a boost elbow like on the stick shift trucks but I'm sure there are tricks that will give a few more PSI. For now he's kickin' butt!

Dan

Comment

Glad to hear Truck is back at tearing up the streets of Wilmington!
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

The stock radio was getting unreliable (wouldn't come on when cold and then started intermittently not coning on at all) so it was time for a replacement. After about 270K miles I guess that's to be expected. So a call to Crutchfield and I ended up with a 2DIN JVC that still features a CD slot - not all of them do. It has all kinds of features I haven't figured out yet but sooner or later I'll know my way around it.

But this post isn't about the new radio. When I dug in there it turned out that a lot of the inner dash plastic was broken up which is consistent with the poor quality of the dash plastic in general. When Rackley's installed the new dash top a while back they had warned me of this but I didn't realize that the AC/heater controls were barely hanging in there. So here's the fix:

First, CAD bracket design: (confession: the bracket is already in place in this pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	1292341

And then the radio in place along with the supported heater controls. The dash fascia wasn't snapped back in place here but it is now.

Name:	IMG_0633.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	1292342

I may do some gluing together the next time I get in there.

Comment

Quick Question:

Truck's steering wheel leather was getting chewed up and PnP hasn't had any that were any better so I decided to do a Wheelskins wrap. These are real leather and made in the USA which I'll take every time but I do have a slight issue and I'm wondering if one of you has resolved a similar thing:

Name:	IMG_0643.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1292725

And:

Name:	IMG_0644.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1292726

So how do I get it to lay flat at the spokes? Maybe I just have to give it time but open for input.

Dan

Comment

they didn't give you enough material. You need enough to go up the spoke far enough that your horn button holes it in place...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Tenacity for the WIN!!! Turns out it was the MAP. For reasons unknown Mother Mopar put a jumper from a simple Weatherpac 3 prong plug to a weird plug that went to the (apparently) OEM MAP sensor. When I unplugged the jumper wiring harness lead that plugged into the jumper did fit into the MAP sensor that I bought a few days ago. When I removed the broken sensor it turned to indeed be the MAP. So I screwed out the kaput MAP (1 1/16 socket, BTW) and screwed in the new one. after transferring the O-ring. It IS a difficult place to get to but not impossible even for an old fart. Getting the Weatherpac plug in took some doing but it was possible - I was glad that I had done a dry run before I screwed the new sensor in place.

The GREAT news is that Truck is back to his old self though probably with a bit more pep in his step as they would have said in my long-ago childhood. Boost is eager and tops out at about 18 PSI or so. When I have a bit of time I'll look into bumping up a bit more boost but the clipped vanes (Tim clipped them a bit) do give better midrange and a little more on the top end as he predicted. Being an automatic I can't just screw in a boost elbow like on the stick shift trucks but I'm sure there are tricks that will give a few more PSI. For now he's kickin' butt!

Dan
                    Now just add another 82 psi for that magic 100 . .

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      they didn't give you enough material. You need enough to go up the spoke far enough that your horn button holes it in place...
                      I have an Email off to Wheelskins so we'll see what they recommend. Time might take care of it as it's a little better today.

Dan

Comment

Further maintenance of Ol' Truck.

Half of the Edge Juice with Attitude readout screen went dark several years ago and it finally totally pooped out recently. The tuner part of the system still seemed to be working (performance was unchanged) but I couldn't read trans temp or fuel pressure (the two I generally displayed) nor could I adjust among the available tunes. I called Edge and they said that they no longer supported my unit and no, they couldn't (wouldn't?) fix it. I was calling around to see if there was a local electronics repair place that might be willing to dig into it when I was contacted on a Cummins Diesel forum where I had posted on the topic. A guy replied from Diesel Auto Power in Salt Lake City and they have a couple possible solutions in NOS. I called them and sure enough - problem solved. A new screen is on it's way - actually an upgrade with a touch screen which was available when I got mine but I was being cheap. It'll plug right in. I also ordered a replacement EGT sensor as mine had died a while ago - eager to get everything back up to snuff.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          Further maintenance of Ol' Truck.

Half of the Edge Juice with Attitude readout screen went dark several years ago and it finally totally pooped out recently. The tuner part of the system still seemed to be working (performance was unchanged) but I couldn't read trans temp or fuel pressure (the two I generally displayed) nor could I adjust among the available tunes. I called Edge and they said that they no longer supported my unit and no, they couldn't (wouldn't?) fix it. I was calling around to see if there was a local electronics repair place that might be willing to dig into it when I was contacted on a Cummins Diesel forum where I had posted on the topic. A guy replied from Diesel Auto Power in Salt Lake City and they have a couple possible solutions in NOS. I called them and sure enough - problem solved. A new screen is on it's way - actually an upgrade with a touch screen which was available when I got mine but I was being cheap. It'll plug right in. I also ordered a replacement EGT sensor as mine had died a while ago - eager to get everything back up to snuff.

Dan
                          This reads like oour old motto again: A job worth doing is worth overdoing. And its corollary: A job isn't done until its been done twice.

Comment

I bit of learnin' - or probably re-learning.

I've been wondering where my boost went on Truck. I was getting almost no boost (about 4 PSI) on my mechanical gage and the Edge gage (reads off the computer) shows "0". So I replaced the intercooler tubing boots (they were original and looked a bit funky) - no improvement. So wondering if the intercooler was plugged I moved the mechanical gage to the turbo outlet - no change. So I'm thinking I need to send the turbo back to Tim's Turbos when I had a brainwave - "Is that gage OK?" So I ran over to our Parker store and bought a real (non-Chinese) gage and sure enough - boost! About 22 PSI before the intercooler and about 21 after it as well as I could read it while accelerating in traffic. So the issue was with the old gage (in the trash) and the Edge readout - no clue what's wrong there.

So bottom line - we HAVE boost. I thought so as the ol' boy felt normal but it was worrisome.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

This reads like oour old motto again: A job worth doing is worth overdoing. And its corollary: A job isn't done until its been done twice.
                              and it's time to sell when you're doing that same job the 3rd time

Comment

You think the MAP sensor has gone bad? Or line to it?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X