My headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while, so I figured I'd update.

After a few days of fighting the install of the kit with crossover, dad got annoyed and decided to take it up the street to an exhaust shop. They couldnt get the x pipe installed (read:didnt want to use their own pipe) so they just ran it as the kit would have. It sounds much better than the previous system, so I'll live with it.

Brakes are non-existent. When I picked the car up, I blew past the house because I couldnt get it stopped. Got it turned around then ran into an issue of it not wanting to stay running (timing was way out of sorts). Finally got it to stay running, and it became apparent that we never checked the trans fluid after checking the speedo gear..it wouldnt engage reverse without a loud thud.

I went out yesterday and fixed the trans fluid issue and timing. Didnt have an extra person to fix brakes, but noticed a fairly significant puddle under the car. Upon further inspection, the front seal on the oil pan is leaking pretty bad. So, I'm going to bleed the brakes when I get help, and send the car to another shop for another pan gasket. Fortunately, the power tour was pushed back..but I've still got a ton to do before that and not much money to do it with..haha
    '69 Oldsmobile 442
    '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's vehicle)
    '20 Ram 1500 BigHorn (my daily)

Comment

Get to it, those are significant reliability issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        Get to it, those are significant reliability issues.
        Yep, hoping to head out tonight after work and address the brakes. Car goes in Thursday for the oil pan gasket. I also need to put a spacer in for the new steering wheel, as I noticed it wont allow the shifter to operate without tilting the wheel down.

HOPEFULLY...once it gets back from the shop I'm left with new rear tires and detail work (repaint the grille work, new headlights, trunk repaint, etc) so I can put some serious miles on it. I may try to get a little more timing out of it, but I want to get it consistently on the road first.
        '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Alright, so it's been a busy week and a half..so now I'm finally getting around to this.

Brakes are good, oil pan gasket has been replaced, and the car is back home. When I took it to the shop, I noticed a vibration-but didnt figure out where it was coming from. When I picked it up, I threw more timing in it (hoping maybe it was timing related) and it surged pretty bad. Pulled over and backed timing back out and focused on where the vibration was coming from, and determined it was drivetrain.

About 5:30 the next morning, I start wondering if I had ever tightened the motor mounts when installing the headers. Sure enough, the drivers side mount was pretty loose. I've not gotten it off the stands and run it yet (refer back to opening sentence) but I'm hoping I lucked out and that's the issue.
          '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Glad to hear you're making progress. I'm FINALLY getting stuff done on Mutt so I have a fresh reminder of how good that feels.

Dan

Comment

..and so it continues.

Went out to try again with the Grant Extender kit..no Bueno. In the process, I figured I'd just fire the car up since it's been a while since I heard it and that's where things went south. I turned the key and nothing happens. After a couple more shots, and checking the battery cables, I threw the battery on the charger. It showed the battery was charged appropriately, however I noticed a buzzing coming from the fuse panel. When on the charger, I manage to at least get clicking when trying to start..but it still won't turn over.

I guess I'll drive the loaner until my truck comes back..but I'm absolutely befuddled as far as what the cause could be.
              '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

My experience with electrical gremlins is that it's always a bad ground. That "always" really means "most of the time" but that's where I'd start looking.

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; June 7, 2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  My experience with electrical gremlins is that it's always a bad ground. That "always" really means "most of the time" but that's where I'd start looking.

Dan
                  one should always be well grounded
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                    Yeah, I agree. It ran fine on the way home, showed no signs of electrical issues, and all I've done since is lift the car to tighten motor mounts and remove/reinstall the steering wheel (still can't get the extension to fit)

the only thing that I could think of was when I was trying to pull the knob off of the shifter..it seemed like there was a cap over a screw. I took the hammer and screwdriver and tried to pry it out, but I didn't beat the living snot out of it.

Fusible link seems like a solid suggestion I've heard, but it doesn't make sense when I put the charger on and try to start it. Im going to pick up some new battery terminals and (if I can find them) a couple in-line fuses to replace/bypass the fusible link idea.
                    '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

A couple of options: There are automotive circuit breakers that I've used to save a circuit. They reset when the load is removed - mine are from Advance Auto. If you really want inline fuses, I found mine at our local Marine Warehouse but I don't know if you have marine stores in your area.

Dan

Comment

I'm okay with whichever. Honestly, putting a new fusible link in is fine with me, but my thought is simply changing a fuse is less tedious than rewiring a link.

The circuit breaker idea sounds interesting
                        '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

I think it takes longer for a fusable to burn out . But , I'm not an expert .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                            I think it takes longer for a fusable to burn out . But , I'm not an expert .
                            IF everything is copacetic it shouldn't be burning out anything! I like the manual reset circuit breakers. They will pop before any damage is done to the wiring and it tells you something is going on as opposed to the automatic reset style that don't necessarily make sure you know there is an issue.

Comment

Well, here goes an update....

Went back out last night to track any burnt links, couldnt find any. Decided to track down the buzzing from the fuse box-it was the horn relay. I pulled the relay and suddenly I had lights.

Long story short, a short in the horn on the new wheel/adapter has drained my battery to the point of no return. I pulled a battery out of dads extra truck and it fired right up.

I can't even afford to drink anymore now that Ive finally got my truck. ‍
                              Last edited by brotherGood; June 9, 2020, 06:19 PM.
                              '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Alright, threw some new plugs in it and decided to take it around the block. It still has the driveline vibration, so I'm guessing pinion angle. When I swapped the rear end, I also removed the isolator setup, moving to a setup similar to the late 60's muscle cars. With the geometry change, I was warned the pinion angle may be off.

How do I check that, and how do I adjust it?

Thanks in advance
                                '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Working...
                                X