• Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

and after youre done and the engine is right side up,
    dont forget to check the trans locating dowels didnt get
    pushed in too far.....
    Never had that problem but I guess that could happen. Worth a look for sure.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Perhaps my best shop tip: With the engine out of the car put it on the bellhousing surface (or "on it's butt" as I say) and slide the cam in. It's dead easy and there's almost no chance of skinning up a cam bearing. Just watch that you don't displace the rear cam plug. Of course, in chassis you have to use the horizontal method but you might as well make it easy when you can.
    and after youre done and the engine is right side up,
    dont forget to check the trans locating dowels didnt get
    pushed in too far.....

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Perhaps my best shop tip: With the engine out of the car put it on the bellhousing surface (or "on it's butt" as I say) and slide the cam in. It's dead easy and there's almost no chance of skinning up a cam bearing. Just watch that you don't displace the rear cam plug. Of course, in chassis you have to use the horizontal method but you might as well make it easy when you can.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    So I decided on a summit cam after seeing the absurd prices other cams have gone up to. $500 for a cam is just too much. I grabbed the SUM-8713R1 with a gift card I had to replace the LS9 cam I was going to run.

Out with the LS9 and in with the Summit cam.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220706_205002.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	652.4 KB
ID:	1322116

I do like these specs. I tend to stick around 224 on the intake for street stuff. The lift numbers work well with the springs i already put on the heads so good to go there (Comp LS6+ springs).

Name:	20220707_140922.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	1322117

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

I had 4 of those at one time..

89 GTU 2.8/5spd
    88 GT 2.8/5spd
    93 GTZ 3.1/Auto
    94 Z26 3.1/Auto (Not Pictured)

Click image for larger version  Name:	MVC-272F.jpg Views:	13 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	1320410

I enjoyed them for 3-4yrs and sold them all. They were fun cars.
    Good looking collection you had there! A former friend of mine had a purple Z26 that I would have loved to get a hold of. I think the idiot traded it in on a truck in the early 2000's. What I'd really like to find is a 92-95 Grand Am GT. I used to want specifically a 2 door 5 spd HO quad 4 car. Prior to that, back in the 90's I wanted one of the 3300 powered cars and wanted to swap in the supercharged 3800. Any 2-door 92-95 Grand Am GT is on my list of weird cars to acquire if i can find one that isn't rusty or beat to hell (Even a beat to hell car would almost be worth grabbing now to me).
    Last edited by Skeptical; June 13, 2022, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I liked mine a lot. Red GT w/grey interior.

Leave a comment:

• tardis454
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical View Post

Speaking of, I was looking at a 5spd Beretta GT the other day for $1700. I really like the Z26 better but I can't imagine many of those cars exist anymore.

I had 4 of those at one time..

89 GTU 2.8/5spd
    88 GT 2.8/5spd
    93 GTZ 3.1/Auto
    94 Z26 3.1/Auto (Not Pictured)

Name:	MVC-272F.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1320410

I enjoyed them for 3-4yrs and sold them all. They were fun cars.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied

That clutch master looks just like the one from my Beretta (V6 5 speed). That one came all in a unit with master, line, and slave and pre-bled. Worked fine.
    Speaking of, I was looking at a 5spd Beretta GT the other day for $1700. I really like the Z26 better but I can't imagine many of those cars exist anymore.

I wonder if turning down a regular LS1 flywheel, adding the ring gear and having it drilled for the right clutch would work. If only I had access to a bigger lathe....

This should be the right ring gear. they are $15-$20.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...9ukTDUJfxAPEdW

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical View Post
    One F23 and clutch master. I need to figure out the flywheel and clutch setup now. I know there are some people that make a flywheel for the ls4 now and some of the sketchier stuff where people fill the holes and have a v6 flywheel re-drilled. Something about re-drilling a flywheel that's pointed at your crotch in the car has me saying "NOPE" on that option. I'm going to guess that the clutch will be the same as what's in a cavalier. I have a Spec 3+ in a turbo Z24 that that seems to engage in a different location randomly sometimes. It's rather annoying but It holds that power just fine. If anyone has some direction on the clutch/flywheel setup let me know.

That clutch master looks just like the one from my Beretta (V6 5 speed). That one came all in a unit with master, line, and slave and pre-bled. Worked fine.
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 12, 2022, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    One F23 and clutch master. I need to figure out the flywheel and clutch setup now. I know there are some people that make a flywheel for the ls4 now and some of the sketchier stuff where people fill the holes and have a v6 flywheel re-drilled. Something about re-drilling a flywheel that's pointed at your crotch in the car has me saying "NOPE" on that option. I'm going to guess that the clutch will be the same as what's in a cavalier. I have a Spec 3+ in a turbo Z24 that that seems to engage in a different location randomly sometimes. It's rather annoying but It holds that power just fine. If anyone has some direction on the clutch/flywheel setup let me know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_121948_comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	675.7 KB ID:	1320358
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_121955_comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	790.7 KB ID:	1320359

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123401comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	512.9 KB ID:	1320360
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123440comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	1320361
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123447comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	440.1 KB ID:	1320362

Last edited by Skeptical; June 11, 2022, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    And the Return Boarder Crossing can get REAL interesting !!!
    Depending on the boarder Customs Agent.
    GVT, Value of Sale Bill, vs His/Her "Fair Market Value",
    And of Course the "Red Coats" or on Our Side "Boarder Patrol"
    going over it with, "Dogs and Wands"......!!!!!

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Probably rusty but that looks like a find! Hook up the trailer.
    Heh, round trip would be roughly $2000+ in gas. If I came across something like that locally I would grab it.
    Last edited by Skeptical; June 10, 2022, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Probably rusty but that looks like a find! Hook up the trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    This is a long shot but I found this thing up in Canada that is being parted out. i asked about the pedals so we'll see if i get a response. Honestly I want the whole car. H.O. Quad 4 Cutlass Supreme with a 5 speed???? That's just crazy weird.

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB001_web.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1320275

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB003_web.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1320276

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB006_web.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1320277

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Called every yard that listed having a manual transmission and got nothin' for a clutch pedal. Most pull the transmissions and other valuable stuff and crush them. The other interesting thing I've been coming across on car-part.com is the listings are ancient. One guy said that car was crushed in 2014. Another one closer to me said he thinks the car has been gone since 2004. Oh well, I'll keep looking since it's fun hunting parts sometimes but sounds like I just need to go ahead and make one.
    Last edited by Skeptical; June 7, 2022, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X