No announcement yet.

1991 Lumina Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe anyone would have a sense of humor living in that humidity.... good on you for it ;)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I can't believe anyone would have a sense of humor living in that humidity.... good on you for it ;)
      Having lived in Florida my whole life, I don't really think about the humidity until someone brings it up. I've never had a problem with it. There is a plus side though. The ladies outfits shrink the more hot and humid it gets. You'd be amazed at how many out of state guys all of the sudden no longer have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical View Post

Having lived in Florida my whole life, I don't really think about the humidity until someone brings it up. I've never had a problem with it. There is a plus side though. The ladies outfits shrink the more hot and humid it gets. You'd be amazed at how many out of state guys all of the sudden no longer have a problem with it.
        here in the north, we use alcohol for that purpose.

Comment

So let me throw another swap idea that would be pretty cool. How about the F40 6spd in the Lumina? The fiero guys are bolting that one up to their ls4 swap cars. That trans in "brand new old stock" form right now is cheap. That would be a fun driver!
          Fieroguru performance makes a simple, clean starter adapter to allow the use of the F40 with the LS4,

The TDC you removed is a neat engine, but boy are they heavy...
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
          1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
          2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

Fieroguru performance makes a simple, clean starter adapter to allow the use of the F40 with the LS4,

The TDC you removed is a neat engine, but boy are they heavy...
            That's a nice bracket. Pretty much how I would have attempted that too. I wonder if something similar would work on the 4t80. I like that style of mountig better than Furches oil pan mount. Both cool though.

The TDC is an interesting one for sure. I'm going to stash it away for.... Well I don't really have a reason since I will not put it in anything I own. Maybe I'll make it a museum piece one day.

I do like the GM 60 degree motors. The Lumina was originally going to get the 3.9 and a turbo until I noticed the LS4's starting to litter the junk yards for the same price.

Comment

Here's a quick clip of the 3.4 Running before shutting it down for no oil pressure.

Comment

Ground the valves and took some pics with a cheap microscope. Some are really interesting.

Before
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200531_152339.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	1271262

After

Name:	20200531_152355.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	1271263

Before closeup

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h29m37s502.png
Views:	239
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	1271264

After closeup

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-31-21h38m07s011.png
Views:	241
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	1271265
                Intake Valve wear up close. Doesn't look that bad without the microscope.

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h34m38s125.png
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	1271266

This is what the combustion chamber looks like.

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h40m14s941.png
Views:	231
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	1271267

Exhaust valve seat

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h38m32s149.png
Views:	241
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	1271268

Piston with chunk of spark plug ceramic in it

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h39m23s612.png
Views:	245
Size:	507.9 KB
ID:	1271269

Gasket surface on head from head gasket surrounding the cylinder. According to the GM service bulletin, this doesn't need to be resurfaced. I can feel it with my finger tip but not my fingernail. I'll put an indicator on it and see how much of an indentation it is.

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-28-18h36m47s973.png
Views:	236
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	1271270

Ground valve tip

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-05-31-21h38m47s321.png
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	1271271

Comment

The chamber looks really porous. How does it look with out the microscope?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    The chamber looks really porous. How does it look with out the microscope?
                    Pretty crazy right? I was a little weirded out by it. The casting itself isn't porous, Its more of the texture from the sand casting process I think. The carbon might be playing games with making it look that way too. The piston one creeps me out the most. Looks like something laid eggs in it.

Here's some pics with a regular phone camera and some added shots of a different head. I usually smooth an rough areas in the chambers and round off any sharp edges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_115124.jpg Views:	0 Size:	878.8 KB ID:	1271353

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_115225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	683.0 KB ID:	1271354

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_115213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	750.7 KB ID:	1271355

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_115205.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.6 KB ID:	1271356

And here is a Quad 4/ Twin cam head with a close up shot of the combustion chamber with the microscope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_174904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,018.3 KB ID:	1271357

Similar texture in this head as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2020-06-02-17h49m56s835.png Views:	0 Size:	485.5 KB ID:	1271358
                    Last edited by Skeptical; June 2, 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

how are you going to post these super cool pictures without a link to said microscope?
                      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

That's a nice bracket. Pretty much how I would have attempted that too. I wonder if something similar would work on the 4t80. I like that style of mountig better than Furches oil pan mount. Both cool though.

The TDC is an interesting one for sure. I'm going to stash it away for.... Well I don't really have a reason since I will not put it in anything I own. Maybe I'll make it a museum piece one day.

I do like the GM 60 degree motors. The Lumina was originally going to get the 3.9 and a turbo until I noticed the LS4's starting to litter the junk yards for the same price.

My POS Fiero will probably get a 3.9 after I smoke the 3.5 that's in it. I don't think the mount works on a 4T80, but I cannot confirm that.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

how are you going to post these super cool pictures without a link to said microscope?
                          Ask and you shall receive brotha. Usually these china things are all the same or damn close so I buy the cheapest one I can find. I fire up VLC on Ubuntu to take the pics or video with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Last edited by Skeptical; June 2, 2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

My POS Fiero will probably get a 3.9 after I smoke the 3.5 that's in it. I don't think the mount works on a 4T80, but I cannot confirm that.
                            Quotes like that ensure that your 3.5 will never break now.

Also, I stumbled across this gem from one of my engine building textbooks from college in the 90s. My best friends son was asking about books to read to learn about how to fix cars so i went digging through some of my old books.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200602_231244_scale.jpg Views:	0 Size:	962.7 KB ID:	1271368
                            Last edited by Skeptical; June 2, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

"gasoline by itself will not burn; it must be mixed with oxygen in the air. If fuel burns in the open air, it produces no power because it is not confined...." buhahahahahahahahahahaha
                              what a maroon (in my best Bugs Bunny voice)

I'm only curious which of our scientists is going to stop laughing long enough to respond.... so free air is worthless, imprisoned air - now there's power there in the air

and let's hit one more. emissions engineers couldn't care less how much fuel is consumed to make clean air. Sorry Dan, couldn't resist that one either.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 3, 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                "gasoline by itself will not burn; it must be mixed with oxygen in the air. If fuel burns in the open air, it produces no power because it is not confined...." buhahahahahahahahahahaha
                                what a maroon (in my best Bugs Bunny voice)

I'm only curious which of our scientists is going to stop laughing long enough to respond.... so free air is worthless, imprisoned air - now there's power there in the air

and let's hit one more. emissions engineers couldn't care less how much fuel is consumed to make clean air. Sorry Dan, couldn't resist that one either.
                                I always beat my air before cramming it into a confined space and lighting it on fire. It's just who I am! Accept it! Keep in mind these weren't engineering books. They are basic student level engine rebuilding books (from 93) trying to explain the various concepts in a simplified manner. The hell that is the internet fact check experts hadn't rained (reigned(?)) its terror down on us common folk yet.
                                Last edited by Skeptical; June 3, 2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X