No announcement yet.

1991 Lumina Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could get the Grand Prix with the manual and 3.4 too (Maybe even the Cutlass W-body but I've never gone looking for one). We had one come through the shop back at Pontiac in the 90's complete with the billion button options and spaceship looking center console computer. I haven't looked up under the dash yet to see what I'm going to do about a clutch pedal. Blindly guessing that I'll be making something from scratch because I doubt I could find the stock pedal assembly. The stock clutch master cylinder is like $30 on rock auto so I can at least use that for a reference.

So for the transmission, I'm throwing around the idea of using the F23 instead of the F40. The Fiero and Cobalt guys seem to have good luck throwing a lot of power through them and they are easy to come by locally for cheap. The over drive gear is about the same too. Plus I also have an LSD for the F23 that was going in another car but hey, I can always buy another one!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_164651.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	1319724

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical View Post
      You could get the Grand Prix with the manual and 3.4 too (Maybe even the Cutlass W-body but I've never gone looking for one). We had one come through the shop back at Pontiac in the 90's complete with the billion button options and spaceship looking center console computer. I haven't looked up under the dash yet to see what I'm going to do about a clutch pedal. Blindly guessing that I'll be making something from scratch because I doubt I could find the stock pedal assembly. The stock clutch master cylinder is like $30 on rock auto so I can at least use that for a reference.

Attached is a list of auto wreckers showing 88-90 Grand Prix's with manual transmissions in their inventory. One of them should have a pedal cluster available...

Name:	GPPC.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	1319733

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Attached is a list of auto wreckers showing 88-90 Grand Prix's with manual transmissions in their inventory. One of them should have a pedal cluster available...

Name:	GPPC.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	1319733

Excellent research!

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	GPPC.jpg Views:	20 Size:	427.3 KB ID:	1319733

You know, It didn't even cross my mind to look on car-part.com for manual cars and call them about the pedals. Thanks Tardis! I'll make a few calls and see if any of them have the pedal assembly! I see they also show the elusive manual cutlass too. Neat!
          Last edited by Skeptical; May 31, 2022, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Poked around on some w-body sites to see if anyone had some pictures of the pedal mount from the manual cars. Found a pretty good one. The one on the left is what comes in the early w-bodies and the one on the right is like what comes in a 2000-ish Grand Prix. The top circle shows the clutch pedal mounting point and the bottom circle is the safety switch. I went out to the garage and stuck my head under the dash and the bracket on the car is the same as what is pictured on the left. Thankfully they didn't make two different assemblies that year. So I just need the clutch pedal itself or just make one. The pedal (not pictured) looks to be straight with a 45 at the bottom to kick it towards the brake pedal. Easy enough to make but I'll try to get the factory part first.

Edit - Actually the clutch pedal is in the picture. It's laying across the newer style mounting assembly on the right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	w-body pedal boxes-old-newer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.6 KB ID:	1319769
            Last edited by Skeptical; May 31, 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

So found another fun fact while I was prepping the other side of the engine compartment for some paint. Not only is the bracket under the dash for the clutch already there, the hole for the clutch master is already in the firewall with a rubber plug in it. I didn't look to see if the hole for the shifter cables is there but I bet it is. Makes this part of the swap ridiculously easy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	clutch_hole.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.1 KB ID:	1320025

I also ordered the clutch master cylinder which comes with the reservoir, push-rod and line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lmc125.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	1320026
              Last edited by Skeptical; June 5, 2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Called every yard that listed having a manual transmission and got nothin' for a clutch pedal. Most pull the transmissions and other valuable stuff and crush them. The other interesting thing I've been coming across on car-part.com is the listings are ancient. One guy said that car was crushed in 2014. Another one closer to me said he thinks the car has been gone since 2004. Oh well, I'll keep looking since it's fun hunting parts sometimes but sounds like I just need to go ahead and make one.
                Last edited by Skeptical; June 7, 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

This is a long shot but I found this thing up in Canada that is being parted out. i asked about the pedals so we'll see if i get a response. Honestly I want the whole car. H.O. Quad 4 Cutlass Supreme with a 5 speed???? That's just crazy weird.

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB001_web.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1320275

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB003_web.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1320276

Name:	E3C2675A76E640A2969CDB5DEE0C4FDB006_web.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1320277

Comment

Probably rusty but that looks like a find! Hook up the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Probably rusty but that looks like a find! Hook up the trailer.
                      Heh, round trip would be roughly $2000+ in gas. If I came across something like that locally I would grab it.
                      Last edited by Skeptical; June 10, 2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

And the Return Boarder Crossing can get REAL interesting !!!
                        Depending on the boarder Customs Agent.
                        GVT, Value of Sale Bill, vs His/Her "Fair Market Value",
                        And of Course the "Red Coats" or on Our Side "Boarder Patrol"
                        going over it with, "Dogs and Wands"......!!!!!

​​​​​​

Comment

One F23 and clutch master. I need to figure out the flywheel and clutch setup now. I know there are some people that make a flywheel for the ls4 now and some of the sketchier stuff where people fill the holes and have a v6 flywheel re-drilled. Something about re-drilling a flywheel that's pointed at your crotch in the car has me saying "NOPE" on that option. I'm going to guess that the clutch will be the same as what's in a cavalier. I have a Spec 3+ in a turbo Z24 that that seems to engage in a different location randomly sometimes. It's rather annoying but It holds that power just fine. If anyone has some direction on the clutch/flywheel setup let me know.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_121948_comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	675.7 KB ID:	1320358
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_121955_comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	790.7 KB ID:	1320359

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123401comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	512.9 KB ID:	1320360
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123440comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	1320361
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220611_123447comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	440.1 KB ID:	1320362

Last edited by Skeptical; June 11, 2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

One F23 and clutch master. I need to figure out the flywheel and clutch setup now. I know there are some people that make a flywheel for the ls4 now and some of the sketchier stuff where people fill the holes and have a v6 flywheel re-drilled. Something about re-drilling a flywheel that's pointed at your crotch in the car has me saying "NOPE" on that option. I'm going to guess that the clutch will be the same as what's in a cavalier. I have a Spec 3+ in a turbo Z24 that that seems to engage in a different location randomly sometimes. It's rather annoying but It holds that power just fine. If anyone has some direction on the clutch/flywheel setup let me know.

That clutch master looks just like the one from my Beretta (V6 5 speed). That one came all in a unit with master, line, and slave and pre-bled. Worked fine.
                            Last edited by DanStokes; June 12, 2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That clutch master looks just like the one from my Beretta (V6 5 speed). That one came all in a unit with master, line, and slave and pre-bled. Worked fine.
                              Speaking of, I was looking at a 5spd Beretta GT the other day for $1700. I really like the Z26 better but I can't imagine many of those cars exist anymore.

I wonder if turning down a regular LS1 flywheel, adding the ring gear and having it drilled for the right clutch would work. If only I had access to a bigger lathe....

This should be the right ring gear. they are $15-$20.

Comment

Speaking of, I was looking at a 5spd Beretta GT the other day for $1700. I really like the Z26 better but I can't imagine many of those cars exist anymore.

I had 4 of those at one time..

89 GTU 2.8/5spd
                                88 GT 2.8/5spd
                                93 GTZ 3.1/Auto
                                94 Z26 3.1/Auto (Not Pictured)

Name:	MVC-272F.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1320410

I enjoyed them for 3-4yrs and sold them all. They were fun cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X