Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeptical
    replied
    Decided to go ahead and build the starter mount myself. Found some crusty bar stock I'll turn on the lathe for the main mounting points. I'll build it similar to the FieroGuru mount. Ultimately I couldn't bring myself to spend that $$$ for a starter mount. I've also been sidetracked by other engine builds and acquiring Trans Am parts.

https://fieroguruperformance.com/?page_id=1558

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    So I think my idea of using the stock mount in the stock location is no good. The G6 F40 bracket bolts to the stock mount just fine but my quick and dirty measuring tells me it's too high and too far forward. Not a big deal as I was expecting some fabricating of the mounts. But I also noticed that I might also have to notch the bottom portion of the drivers side frame rail after rough measuring the dimensions of the engine and trans. The frame rails taper inwards as you get closer to the firewall. and the F40 is a little bit wider than the F23. Again, no biggy but I was hoping to not have to do that. We'll see what happens when I try to stuff it in there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220821_152618.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	561.3 KB ID:	1324992

these are the Rear (Left) and front (right) G6 trans mounts. The Front mount wont work after the transmission is modified for the starter. The rear I might be able to use. Just have to wait and see once it's sitting in the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220821_175139.jpg-comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	753.2 KB ID:	1324993

Last edited by Skeptical; August 24, 2022, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Decided to mock up the intercooler placement this past weekend. It fits in the car really well!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220821_101914.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	1324943

Name:	20220821_101941.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	1324944

Name:	20220821_102001.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	861.4 KB
ID:	1324945

Shot from the drivers front showing what all is and isn't in the way.

Name:	20220821_102527.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	1324946

Name:	20220821_103212.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	1324947

Name:	20220821_105250.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	699.2 KB
ID:	1324948

Name:	20220821_105302.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	1324949

Name:	20220821_105320.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	536.9 KB
ID:	1324950
    Stock auxilary trans cooler. Seems like a waste to pull it but...Manual. Maybe I'll repurpose it or add it to the cooler pile I have going.

Name:	20220821_110640.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	587.3 KB
ID:	1324951

Hood latch support. I'll rework this and put it back .

Name:	20220821_112735.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	1324952

This will get trimmed up and put back in to help with air management. My hand is on it in the picture above when I'm reaching down from the top.

Name:	20220821_123901.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	1324953

Like a glove! Ignore the temporary brackets.... Although, I'll also give 5 fake internet points to whoever can tell me what the brackets are from.

Name:	20220821_125126.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	1324954

Drivers side. Slight trimming of the closeout material is needed.

Name:	20220821_125108.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	1324955

Passenger side. Same thing.

Name:	20220821_125032.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	641.5 KB
ID:	1324956

No need to modify the hood release. Good news! Fits almost like it was made for it.

Name:	20220821_125231.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	1324957

Hard to get a good shot from the front since I'm right up against some workbenches.

Name:	20220821_123457.jpg-comp.jpg
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	1324958

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Clutch and flywheel arrived. This thing is pretty. Thought I was going to be able to bolt the engine and trans together this weekend and stick it in the car but I forgot about the need to modify the transmission bellhousing for the starter. I'm torn between making my own bracket or just hitting up one of the Fiero people to get one of their prefabbed brackets. That also eliminates the stock mount on the front of the transmission that I was hoping to use.

Name:	20220819_152558.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	1324710

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    Those shifters are pretty hard to find, nice score.

Leave a comment:

• andy30thz
    replied
    NICE!!! Good to see some progress on this thing! I know you've got a ways to go...but your plan sounds solid!

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Got the F40, Jack shaft, shifter cables and shifter. Just happened to find a local auto recycler that just got a manual G6 in. Paid more than I'm used to at the U-pull-it joints but I justified it since they did all the work to pull the stuff and they were awesome to do business with. Also talked to Spec on Friday. They are making the flywheel and clutch setup. Once those things show up, I can bolt this thing together and plop it in the car. I was thinking too that since I don't need the LS4 computer to run the auto anymore, one of those Holly Terminator setups might be the way to go. It's way cheaper to run a stock computer and use HP Tuners since I already have it but I've been kinda wanting to try the Holley setup.

Name:	20220812_180508.jpg-comp.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	1324421

Fixed picture I think.
    Last edited by Skeptical; August 13, 2022, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical View Post

Keep it AND buy the 3rd gen Firebird. Those Grans Am GT's get harder and harder to find every time I look for one. Speaking of 3rd gens, there is an 86 Trans Am that I've been eyeballing not far from the house. It's been sitting on flat tires in this company's parking lot for who knows how long. At some point I'm going o go ask about it. Add it to my collection of fun.
    they are, but this one also just doesn't do much for me, I'm not wild about FWD cars, if I keep it long term, and the drivetrain fails in any significant way, it will get converted to RWD, but I'm not sure that will happen.

Ideally, I'd like to find a 85-90 non T/A Firebird, I'm not wild about the GFX on them, I prefer the base and Formula versions. engine and trans don't matter, as they wouldn't stay for long... lol!

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by ejs262 View Post

Thanks

the stock mounts will work for the rear mount, and it will also work for the side mount, if your cradle has provisions for it, however, the F23 with the Metric bellhousing does not have provisions for the front mount, so a custom mount must be used. I elected to make all of my own mounts. I might be selling that one to fund a 3rd gen firebird, but it needs to be finished first.
    Keep it AND buy the 3rd gen Firebird. Those Grans Am GT's get harder and harder to find every time I look for one. Speaking of 3rd gens, there is an 86 Trans Am that I've been eyeballing not far from the house. It's been sitting on flat tires in this company's parking lot for who knows how long. At some point I'm going o go ask about it. Add it to my collection of fun.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied

that's a killer thread you have going over there. Nice work too! I was thinking you would just be able to use the stock mounts from the 2.4l Grand Am with 5spd or modify them slightly. It's been years since I've been under the hood of one of those cars. I loved'em when they were new. Aside from working on them back then I did piles of the pre-delivery inspections when they'd come in off the truck at the dealership. They moved a lot of those cars.
    Thanks

the stock mounts will work for the rear mount, and it will also work for the side mount, if your cradle has provisions for it, however, the F23 with the Metric bellhousing does not have provisions for the front mount, so a custom mount must be used. I elected to make all of my own mounts. I might be selling that one to fund a 3rd gen firebird, but it needs to be finished first.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied

They say great minds think alike, but they don't say idiots don't think alike too...

https://www.realfierotech.com/viewtopic.php?t=21841

it's still a work in progress, hopefully I'll have it back on the road by the end of the month.
    that's a killer thread you have going over there. Nice work too! I was thinking you would just be able to use the stock mounts from the 2.4l Grand Am with 5spd or modify them slightly. It's been years since I've been under the hood of one of those cars. I loved'em when they were new. Aside from working on them back then I did piles of the pre-delivery inspections when they'd come in off the truck at the dealership. They moved a lot of those cars.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied

I was going to do that swap in my Cavalier to try and let 1st gear run out a little longer. I hate first gear in that thing.
    For the Lumina, I was thinking the taller whell/tire combo would be offsetting it enough. I've been staring at this sub 1-inch input shaft on this thing thinking a turbo LS4 is going to twist that thing right off. I may set this F23 to the side (Maybe find a 99+ Grand AM Gt to put it in) and go ahead with the F40 because I HATE doing things twice. Speaking of which, I need to call SPEC back, they were supposed to be making the flywheel and clutch setup for the F23. Hopefully they haven't started but if they did, I may still be using the F23 for the first go.
    They say great minds think alike, but they don't say idiots don't think alike too...

https://www.realfierotech.com/viewtopic.php?t=21841

it's still a work in progress, hopefully I'll have it back on the road by the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    FYI, some cobalts, with the RPO FY1 got a numerically lower gear ratio for the F23, which may be a better match for the higher torque LS4. These cobalts were the "XFE" models, which were designed for eXtra Fuel Economy. I have a F23 in my fiero built using that final drive.
    I was going to do that swap in my Cavalier to try and let 1st gear run out a little longer. I hate first gear in that thing.
    For the Lumina, I was thinking the taller whell/tire combo would be offsetting it enough. I've been staring at this sub 1-inch input shaft on this thing thinking a turbo LS4 is going to twist that thing right off. I may set this F23 to the side (Maybe find a 99+ Grand AM Gt to put it in) and go ahead with the F40 because I HATE doing things twice. Speaking of which, I need to call SPEC back, they were supposed to be making the flywheel and clutch setup for the F23. Hopefully they haven't started but if they did, I may still be using the F23 for the first go.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    FYI, some cobalts, with the RPO FY1 got a numerically lower gear ratio for the F23, which may be a better match for the higher torque LS4. These cobalts were the "XFE" models, which were designed for eXtra Fuel Economy. I have a F23 in my fiero built using that final drive.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Long block is all buttoned up. I guess I need to open up the transmission and put the LSD in it next and get some more parts ordered for this beast.I took a week off in August so hopefully i can at least get this put in the car and start in on the Turbo and wiring junk.

Name:	20220719_201312(2).jpg
Views:	156
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	1322903

Leave a comment:

Working...
X