Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cstmwgn
    replied
    So I have to ask - exactly where is the "moist coast" of Florida?
    I don't recall finding a dry one in my travels.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Those are sweet old machines. A couple of the shops I worked in had them and they always made a pretty nice looking valve. Do you have the concentric seat grinder that came with these? I think they were additional money but the shops that I worked in had both. The concentric seat grinder isn't state of the art but they worked OK.

Dan
    I have "A" seat grinder. I don't know if it's the one that came with the machine though. One of these is what I learned on as a teenager. Now that i think about it, It's been quite a few years since I ground my own valves and seats. I enjoyed it back then and am looking forward to it. Plus I have several other sets of heads stashed away I can have some fun with at a later date.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Those are sweet old machines. A couple of the shops I worked in had them and they always made a pretty nice looking valve. Do you have the concentric seat grinder that came with these? I think they were additional money but the shops that I worked in had both. The concentric seat grinder isn't state of the art but they worked OK.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    It needs a little cleanin' but it will do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_164819.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	913.6 KB
ID:	1270981

All cleaned, lubed up and ready to grind some valves.

Name:	20200523_214931.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	812.6 KB
ID:	1270979

Hmmm...... Looks safe to me!

Name:	20200523_183212.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	1270980

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical View Post
    I'll do some diggin around. Replacements aren't expensive by any means. I just prefer the stockers. I might drive up to Jax and steal the valve and seat grinding equipment from my dads place and see how they measure up after grinding them.
    I'm trying to remember the name of the head rebuilder in the Clearwater area. The last time I was there (Mom lived there for years) it was on the main drag from Clearwater to St. Pete - I think it was 19 but might have been alternate 19. Anyhow, big company and at least at one time they had ALL the equipment and were relatively cheap because they did so many of them. MANY years ago they did a head for my MGB that I brought with me from MI while we were visiting the folks. They did it in a couple of days, - boiled it out, flattened the deck, did the valves, etc. It ran great for the couple of years that I kept the car.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    I'll do some diggin around. Replacements aren't expensive by any means. I just prefer the stockers. I might drive up to Jax and steal the valve and seat grinding equipment from my dads place and see how they measure up after grinding them.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I bought some LS heads from a guy who rebuilt some stock 317s, then went aftermarket.... I'm in the fully refreshed heads less then the cost of the valves.... maybe someone nearby is doing something similar?

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    And with this set of pics, we are all caught up to where I'm at with the car/engine/project/thing/stuff/etc.

This is after starting to hit the valve with the wire wheel. She definitely had an oil burnin' problem.

Name:	20200517_145304_scaled.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1270600

Looks like something from sex ed class that I was warned about.

Name:	20200517_145348.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	1270601

Not as bad as i was expecting once the exhaust valves were cleaned up. They will probably clean up with a grind but I may just replace them.

Name:	20200517_160234.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	1270602

Tips weren't looking too healthy. I'll have to find the specs to see how much can be taken off.

Name:	20200517_160059_Scaled.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1270603

Name:	20200517_160401.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	1270604

I'm 50/50 on these valve. If I can find a cheap set of factory take outs I'll go that route.

If anyone has some, this is what I need -
    2.00" Intake
    1.575" Exhaust

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Remember to prelube that sucker before you hit the key. I made a rig out of a pressure cooker that worked well but I've seen them made from big PCV plumbing drain pipe. Bottom line, LSs will fail if not prelubed as proven to me by the engine I put in my Grandson's Trailblazer SS. Three times.

Dan
    That's good info. I usually just crank em without the spark plugs in them and they pick up oil pressure within a few seconds. That got me poking around the internet looking how different people prelube em. There are some neat setups people are building out there. Not sure how I will handle this one yet.

I like this Melling video. Pretty straight forward way to prime an LS.

SuperBuickGuy, I bet the Vaseline trick would work just fine to get it to prime. The pump on this 5.3 has bunch of lucas assembly lube oozing out of it. Last time I did one of these it sat for a year before I spun it over without the plugs in it. Primed in seconds. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that is one of the methods that GM used to recommend with their crate engines and replacement engines (That didn't have an easy way to prime it). I vaguely remember seeing it right on the tags that came with the engines back when I worked at Pontiac.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I don't think so as the pump is buried in there where it would be hard to do. But maybe (says I, mulling it over......). But the pressure luber is easy enough to make and there is a port you can access fairly easily. I wonder if the Vaseline would get in the way of forcing oil thru the pump and passages? (More mulling......)

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Remember to prelube that sucker before you hit the key. I made a rig out of a pressure cooker that worked well but I've seen them made from big PCV plumbing drain pipe. Bottom line, LSs will fail if not prelubed as proven to me by the engine I put in my Grandson's Trailblazer SS. Three times.

Dan
    I know I didn't because I planned on pre-lubing by pressure; however, does the Buick pre-lube trick work on LS? (vaseline baby).

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Slamming the rotating assembly back together. Nice new cam bearings in there too.

Name:	20200425_170754_scaled.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1270426

Name:	20200425_174817_Rotated.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1270425

If you look real close, you can see an LS9 cam in the picture.

Name:	20200425_175316_Cam_Scaled.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1270430

Name:	20200425_190509.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	706.5 KB
ID:	1270428

Name:	20200514_215640.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	1270429

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Cam bearings knocked out, honed, and cleaned up.

Name:	20191103_173131.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	860.4 KB
ID:	1270194

Name:	20191103_173120.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	1270195

Minding that gap...

Name:	20200419_194619.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	1270196

All gapped and ready to rock. Note - the silveryness of the gap is from the ever so slightest whiff of the file when knocking down the burr. They aren't chamfered there I assure you.

Name:	20200420_185939.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	886.7 KB
ID:	1270197

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I have never heard of the F40 I bet that would be fun. I am not sure I have ever driven an AWD car before. My car is pretty much stuck it the 90's other than the Holley Terminator X. I have to finish my paint work. Get ready for Dragweek. If there are enough pennies left in the fun account I want to put a diy China turbo on the mustang this winter. I think i have been look at your epay turbo as a possibility. Let us know what you think about it. I am not sure if the stock 5.0 will spool it.
    You'll definitely see how it works out here. I don't know if you would have a problem with a turbo this size on a stock 5.0 or not. I'd say do the math and peruse the internet for people who have already run this setup. None of us are reinventing the wheel here (that seems like it could be a dad joke about turbine wheel or something). Good luck with the dragweek car. I'll be watching for it on the stream when it comes up.
    Last edited by Skeptical; May 17, 2020, 04:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X