No announcement yet.

Model T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blown 427 is doing just fine where it is...

Anyways, project creep. I'm going through all the mechanicals, and fixing things that might break in the next several thousand miles. There is still a lot of worn out stuff getting put back in. But I'm also cleaning and (brush) painting the chassis and parts, and it's gonna look better underneath, at least. Lots of fun to work on this stuff, and learn how it was done in the old days. They sure were clever back then.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No hypoid on that diff and I'd guess the gearbox is straight cut, so that would be an expected fair bit of noise while moving. Does it have front brakes?

Is there more detail on it's progress on the HAMB?
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Not much detail about it anywhere, really. I'm just posting a few pics in a few different places, when I feel like it.

The engine is going back together, I just got the crank and pistons in. I got a rebabbitted rear main, and spent several hours getting it to fit, but I"m happy with it now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	progress04.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	1272595
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Do you have four point sockets for those mains bolts

Do they have an oil pump or is it all splash?
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

Comment

No front brakes, only rear internal band parking brakes, plus the foot brake which is a band in the transmission.

I have a 9/16" 8 point socket.

The oil system is splash, the flywheel dips into the reservoir, and oils the transmission, then it also drips oil into a little funnel that connects to a tube that runs to the front of the engine. This lubes the timing gears, and then runs back along the pan. Each rod dips into a little trough in the pan, so the oil gets splashed all over. The main bearings just have a hole above them, that lets oil drip into them from the walls of the crankcase. No oil holes on the rods, they get to absorb oil however they can. The amazing thing is that it works really well. Although when the little funnel and tube get plugged, no oil to the engine! Mine was plugged solid, probably been that way for a couple decades, yet it still ran, and didn't burn up the bearings or anything.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I am finding that thing interesting.

The crank is forged, is that right?
              Tim
              Melbourne Australia

Comment

Yeah, the crank is forged. Well made stuff, just primitive because it's so early in the process of learning how to build cars.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

going back together...

Click image for larger version

Name:	progress12.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1272848
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Looks very easy to work on, with the right tools!

How many hours a day are you spending on it?
                    Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty easy to work on...with the right tools! Having a lathe, press, welder, torch, sandblaster, etc comes in handy.

I'm working on it from morning till night, with breaks for food/naps/rest. So, perhaps 8-12 hours a day.
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Did you know you would do a frame off when you bought it or is this scope creap?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

It's a little bit of scope creep...but I did know I wanted to make sure everything worked right. Turns out it's pretty easy to remove the frame and clean it up, while I'm at it. I also decided that since the car had been painted, but the underside left really yucky looking, it would be appropriate to clean it all up. And it doesn't really cost much at all do make it pretty, while making it work--just an extra week or so, because the parts that need cleaning are not sheet metal, they are easy to scrape and sandblast and brush some black paint on.

The Ford factory service manual has the first chapter devoted to "disassemble the car" and the next to "assemble the car". So it's really a straightforward process--remove the body, take the rest apart, it's an easy job.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

After a month of tinkering, it's running again.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Dang it's quiet! Sounds like you did a very good job on the babbit fitting...
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I hope so. It seems kind of loud to me, but you know how it is when you work on something, you're listening very closely.

It leaks oil out of several places, and some of them are strange, like the starter and generator. The front seal is felt, I hear they have to settle in before they quit leaking so much. I guess we don't worry about leaks unless they're pretty bad.

Still waiting for some suspension bushings to arrive in the mail, so I can get it back on the ground and drive it.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X