My next build ..... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next build ..... ?

I've been thinking about what I'd like to build next. My LS swap 68 Cougar build is just about complete. I still have to reupholster the front and rear seats as well as the door panels. Here's the scenario , I've got my 88 S10 which is in awesome condition . It's on a complete Ridetech suspension , 10 year old paint , super clean interior , it's a really clean ride . I get compliments all the time. The thing is that I very rarely drive it , most of the time I drive my 05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 . The truck has some value , if I sell it I can put the money towards finishing the Cougar and financing my next build. I've been playing with the idea of building a street/strip 94-98 Mustang with a turbo LS . Fox bodies are getting hard to come by around here and the SN95's are starting to grow on me. Ya I know , another LS swap Ford but as you know that doesn't bother me. Or I can Turbo LS swap the S10 . I could complete the S10 build faster than a SN95 swap but it's not like I've got money to throw at the S10 at the moment . If I build the S10 I'd swap out the Ridetech and pretty much everything else , so what to do what to do ?. I think I'm leaning towards the Mustang build. I've been watching Clap'd out on YouTube and Ry's SN95 build has me jacked but every time I look at my S10 in the driveway I think that thing looks so awesome. Either way I'll have a street / strip machine . Like I said what to do what to do ?.

Square Body S-10.... But its your project/money....
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

something with fat fenders
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

since you already have the s10, that would be my choice.
        or go buy something weird-like a volvo p1800- and pro
        strreet that sucker!

Comment

I always wanted to do an Opel GT or maybe a Manta with an aluminum Buick 215 - or now, the Rover version not in US salvage yards in the Land Rover version. V8 power in a light weight car and a light enough engine to not mess up the handling. Probably not something I'll get around to.....

Dan

Comment

Having my own 350 S10 on the back burner , I'd keep it and LS it . But if your going to take all the Ridetech stuff out, maybe its time to find it a new owner .But a half breed SN95 ? Nobody but you is going to like it . ( And that is enough ) But my recommendation would be a C4 Vette . Put that LS in it .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

OK, lets pretend that the hair isn't standing up on the back of my neck with all this LS foolishness.

Can you sell the S-10 for enough to complete the SN95 build? If not, then aren't you going to be in the same boat with either build (trying to find the money to complete it)?

Are you taking the RideTech stuff out to improve the launch capabiliities of the S10?

For me, I think I would like a kick ass little pickup that would embarrass would be challengers both in a straight line and in the twisties.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                OK, lets pretend that the hair isn't standing up on the back of my neck with all this LS foolishness.
                right, because needlessly complex and needlessly expensive aren't things. So, he should sell his S10 - because it's been done... and buy an SN95? why, because that hasn't been done to death?

Comment

I knew a guy with a Fox body with a Cadillac in it. Whatever happened to that guy........

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    Having my own 350 S10 on the back burner , I'd keep it and LS it . But if your going to take all the Ridetech stuff out, maybe its time to find it a new owner .But a half breed SN95 ? Nobody but you is going to like it . ( And that is enough ) But my recommendation would be a C4 Vette . Put that LS in it .
                    A C4 Corvette ? nobody likes those and I absolutely love vettes ! lol

Comment

I like C4s. I think they're the one of the most under rated cars ever built. Especially now, it's a lot of car for the $$.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        I like C4s. I think they're the one of the most under rated cars ever built. Especially now, it's a lot of car for the $$.

Dan
                        it was a light-year change between it and the C3, but that same distance occurs between the C4 and C5/C6 (C6 changed the rear suspension a bit)... I truly wonder if the C4 will ever hit 'collector' stride.

Pros:
                        It's a Corvette and American's sports car
                        It is light years better then anything that came before it
                        It is an inexpensive way to get into world-class handling and V8 power - why this is super-cool is because it will suck your common Miata inside out on any track day or autocross.

Cons
                        obsolete electronics
                        no frame
                        limited support
                        no sidepipes
                        it is neither cheap or easy to put an LS in one - especially if you want a functioning dash and AC
                        the Dana 44 rear differential does not love high-hp applications and there really isn't a good replacement
                        and the worst of all, billions of examples - so there is no scarcity.
                        and even more damning - if you put rack and pinion (with aluminum control arms) in the front of a 78 to 81 C3.... you have the full suspension of a C4.... all with a car that has aerodynamics and a growing popularity because it's so easy to fix its hp woes.
                        the kids are doing C5s - which means when those kids get older and look for a 'back in the day car' it will be a C5.

Collector cars like the ZR1 will always garner bucks, but anything prior to the dash refresh in 1992 - that gee whiz dash did not age well at all. Add to that issue that there are countless C5s as well, which are LS powered, and the C4 - while amazingly fun - won't ever hit the point where someone drags it out of a barn and does a ground up on it.

Not hating, but pointing out the limitation of a C4.... collector cars, in my opinion, require some point where the 'investment' really is an investment - and fundamental to an investment is it makes money. The opposite of investment is hobby.

If you're going to build a Corvette - C3s are the current version of cheap, affordable, and reasonable chance to have an investment rather then a hobby. C5s or C6 if you need a track weapon. While the C7 is an amazing car, it's an incremental change - so most people, will never have the skills to get themselves around the track faster then they can if they save 30k and buy a C6

Funny thing, though, I suspect the C4 will really hit its stride overseas - more specifically, in any compass direction other than Canada

and with all of that said. Get a 87-91 C4, gut it, put a huge motor in it, cage it - then go out and set records... but a drive-it-to-cruise... no. And the older you get harder a no it will be.... my dad has a 88 - he doesn't drive it much because 'it hurts'
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 23, 2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Not saying they are the world's greatest sports car but a lot of bang for the $$. There has to be some way to replace that dash with something more basic - maybe Dakota makes something? Not that you could drive it in CA. As far as HP - I'm thinking 400HP should be entertaining and possible with a version of the OE engine. Price-wise, I think the alternative is a Miata and that's a choice I could make.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Not saying they are the world's greatest sports car but a lot of bang for the $$. There has to be some way to replace that dash with something more basic - maybe Dakota makes something? Not that you could drive it in CA. As far as HP - I'm thinking 400HP should be entertaining and possible with a version of the OE engine. Price-wise, I think the alternative is a Miata and that's a choice I could make.

Dan
                            the biggest problem with the C4 is the C5. By the time you buy an LS motor, a 6 speed, and new dash - your total has already exceeded the price of a C5 that already has those things. Don't forget, the C4 has TPI, which is limited to about 300 hp before major mods are necessary to get it to flow.... sure, it's possible, but let's add that up.... LS motor plus what it takes to bolt it into the car, 10k, new trans 2500, new dash 2500.... and you still have the issue with the rear differential (whose solution starts at 5k)

example... 6 speed convertible $8200
                            https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/c...130355040.html

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 23, 2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to line by line answer your points but , here's my reasons .
                              1. They are cheap.
                              2. They are an excellent chassis that can keep up with most drivers skills.
                              3. You can put a LS in it and nobody is mad .Except the none car guy corvette owners that think everything has to be kept stock . An well , nobody cares what they think except them .
                              4 . Take off the air pump or a/c and there is plenty of room for a turbo or 2 .
                              5.They don't rust .
                              6.engine , trans , and rear are all located in the normal spots .
                              7. Haven't heard of a C4 having rusted out bird cage .
                              8.Engine accessability . Practically the whole front end flips up out of your way .
                              They have a frame , it just isn't a one piece C channel from end to end there is plenty to weld a roll cage to
                              While the dana 44 is a pretty good rear it is kind of rare in that only or at least mostly only manuals got it. Most got the dana 36 .
                              There are aftermarket analog gage dashes for them but really do we need that ? It can't be that hard to make your own . I'd recommend a 84 with a 4+3 not the most loved C4 but that macks them cheap and gets you the dana 44 . If your power level ever surpasses that I'm pretty sure Moser makes a 9 inch for it . Or just 3 link a solid axle back there if you really want to get after it in drag racing .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X