S10 2.0 ..... Turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S10 2.0 ..... Turbo ?

I decided to build the 88 S10 again ........... I did paint and body plus RideTech suspension 10 years ago. Actually I did a lot more than that. I freshened up the interior , a SSBC rear disc brake conversion plus tires and wheels. I've owned the truck for the last 20 years. I bought it off a woman who had moved up to BC from So Cal . The truck has a 4.3 V6 with a 700R4 behind it . Back in 01 two weeks before Christmas it blew a head gasket , it had over 100,000 miles on it . It was my only transportation at the time , so I called up the local Chevy dealer and bought a remaned long block . Since it was that time of the year I popped into a speed shop and purchased a Edelbrock intake and headers also by Edelbrock . Those headers have never been off the engine , still running the original header gaskets .Years later I added a Holley throttle body and MSD distributor . The truck runs great , it now has over 287,000 miles on the truck overall . I've always run Mobil synthetic oil , I'd love to see the inside of the motor.

That brings us to now , the plan is to swap in a used LS and throw a turbo on it . I've already been scouring the interwebs as they say . I picked up a 83 Turbo 400 off of Craigslist locally here . The old guy told me that it had been rebuilt , driven for a year and then parked when he was having other problems with the truck (not the trans) . He decided to part the thing out. I also found a great deal on a brand new TBSS intake. I thought it would be a good idea to collect most of the parts for this project before I start tearing things apart . We'll see how that works .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1087.JPG Views:	8 Size:	997.0 KB ID:	1275260Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1098.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1275263Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1094.jpg Views:	8 Size:	839.0 KB ID:	1275261Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1096.jpg Views:	8 Size:	771.3 KB ID:	1275262Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1099.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1275264Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1100.jpg Views:	8 Size:	571.9 KB ID:	1275265
    Last edited by langleylad; July 21, 2020, 05:26 PM.

can't wait to see this.... I want to do the same thing to a blazer
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Sounds like fun. Look forward to watching!
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Dan

Comment

Sounds like a plan!!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Invest in Mickey Thompson or BFG first? Sloppy stage 2 build should remove any notion of traction.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              Invest in Mickey Thompson or BFG first? Sloppy stage 2 build should remove any notion of traction.
              True. They tell me I boil the hides on a second gear shift with the Mercedes Diesel! Of course, I'm running Nitto drag radials but at 60 psi - it's an LSR thing.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; July 22, 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                can't wait to see this.... I want to do the same thing to a blazer
                with a 3800 or an LS? :|

Comment

It will definitely be a "sloppy" inspired build but with a lot less sloppy ( no offence Matt) . Yes , traction will be an issue and yes a sticky tire will be in use.

Comment

I had a 300 horse 350 in a S10 short bed with a TH400 . It was a blast . Well except for taking off in the rain or snow . Ive got the same engine sitting in a stalled project S10 now . The thing averaged 12 mpg while running 70mph with 3.42 gears . Current project I've swapped a 5 speed into. Hopefully you'll get me motivated to finish it .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      I had a 300 horse 350 in a S10 short bed with a TH400 . It was a blast . Well except for taking off in the rain or snow . Ive got the same engine sitting in a stalled project S10 now . The thing averaged 12 mpg while running 70mph with 3.42 gears . Current project I've swapped a 5 speed into. Hopefully you'll get me motivated to finish it .
                      I was wondering how your S-10 was coming.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                        since I'm becoming go to guy for derailing langleylad's threads.. (SORRY!!) ... you mean this one? https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...y-driver/page6

Back at the topic, Matt gives me a cringe or two sometimes but he's got a point. The stuff is time and money, mostly time and he's not screwing around to make a pretty video for the shop teacher. The boy gets sh*t done. You know how it goes, everything looks like a nail if you are a hammer.
                        Last edited by Beagle; July 23, 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

since I'm becoming go to guy for derailing langleylad's threads.. (SORRY!!) ... you mean this one? https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...y-driver/page6

Back at the topic, Matt gives me a cringe or two sometimes but he's got a point. The stuff is time and money, mostly time and he's not screwing around to make a pretty video for the shop teacher. The boy gets sh*t done. You know how it goes, everything looks like a nail if you are a hammer.
                          Not a problem , I enjoy what you've got to say ....

I enjoy Matt's work ethic and I like the fact that he doesn't beat around the bush . I love it when you goes on about how good the factory parts perform , pointing to the factory coil packs and says " those are my 1000 hp coil packs and those are my 1000 hp plug wires" as he points to his stock junk yard plug wires . He does walk the walk

Comment

With a budget in mind I went with Trans-Dapt mounts . They were $127 cdn on Amazon . I could have purchased billet mounts but why would I ? they're motor mounts. I looked at Hooker mounts and they were close to $400 when all is said and done , they are pretty but so is $250 in my hand. The Trans-Dapt mounts have a little bit of adjustability and in the S10 there's not a lot of room anyhow , so I don't need lots. I should have more parts showing up in the next week. I'm still looking for an engine. My favourite pick & pull closed down for good because of this covid 19 PITA ! , which really disappointed me. It was nicely laid out and always had new stock coming in. I found a new place but their pick & pull yard is a bone yard , pretty much picked over . They have half of their yard closed to the public, It looks like that half is where all the good stuff is and they remove the parts as need and when they're finished with them they move them over to the pick & pull section. Not many other pick & pull yards around here . Probably going to have to spend more on a motor than I had planned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	1276363

Comment

Our PnP is fully up and running. They have you mask up and once in the yard everyone is pretty well distanced so I don't see that as an issue. Sorry your yard couldn't make it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X