No announcement yet.

S10 2.0 ..... Turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't usually get much done this time of the year , spend more time hanging out with the family.

Lately I've been looking for the best deals on parts and researching the best parts for the job. Watching lots of videos and trying to learn from others mistakes and wins. The TH400 is all finished , wrapped up and put aside. I still have to get a converter.

I did receive the Holley 302-1 oil pan yesterday from Summit on sale. I was looking at the eBay Holley knock off pans but they are too deep (front to back) to fit in the S10. I could notch the cross member to make it fit but decided against that. I'd save $150 on the pan but the Holley pan saves me the hassle . I ordered an eBay special , the GT45 turbo. I've watched plenty of Richard Holdener's videos and he sold me on it plus it's dirt cheap and it'll be perfect for my needs . The truck is just going to be a toy anyhow . I'm not planning on making 1000 hp , 500 hp is easily in reach and more than enough. From what I've learned from Richard and Matt Happel (Sloppy Mechanic) you don't need a lot of high $ parts to get the job done. I'm looking at an 4.8 Vortec/LS and I'll drop in an Elgin E1839-P cam 220/224 .575 lift 112 lsa this cam is also known as the Sloppy Stage 1 cam . The Sloppy Stage 2 cam is really popular and really too big for a 4.8 from what I've learned. A few months back I picked up another eBay special , a 92mm throttle body. So I'll keep on collecting parts in the mean time .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	936.6 KB
ID:	1285907

Comment

I'm betting a 220* intake on a 112 LSA will probably sound a lot like an E cammed Mustang 5.0...
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        I'm betting a 220* intake on a 112 LSA will probably sound a lot like an E cammed Mustang 5.0...
        That's ok with me , I had a 88 5.0 and loved it until I got T-boned by a Bronco .

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
          . I'm not planning on making 1000 hp
          Yet.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I’ll pick a converter when I have the engine design decided.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

since I'm becoming go to guy for derailing langleylad's threads.. (SORRY!!) ... you mean this one ?
              Yes
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I found the perfect engine on Craigslist a couple of days ago. A low mileage ( 60,000 miles ) 2007 4.8 , complete running engine . Funny story , in the ad there is a video of the engine running . As I'm watching I think to myself , I know that voice . It's my neighbor across the street ! lol . I had no idea , he does all his work at his dad's shop. I spent more than I wanted too but everything is there and pretty much everything that I'll need. Plus it has low mileage which is a big plus .

Comment

I word from someone who's been there: Be sure to pressure lube it before you start it up. There's a plug at the left front of the block just below the head that's for the oil galley. I went to the local Parker store and we rigged up some fittings to go from the engine plug to a 1/4" NPT. I went thru 2 salvage yard engines before I learned that trick. The engine's oil pump is terrible at pulling up oil from a dry engine (I almost said "it sucks at pulling up oil" but that's exactly what it doesn't do!).

Dan

Comment

[QUOTE=DanStokes;n1286084]I word from someone who's been there: Be sure to pressure lube it before you start it up. There's a plug at the left front of the block just below the head that's for the oil galley. I went to the local Parker store and we rigged up some fittings to go from the engine plug to a 1/4" NPT. I went thru 2 salvage yard engines before I learned that trick. The engine's oil pump is terrible at pulling up oil from a dry engine (I almost said "it sucks at pulling up oil" but that's exactly what it doesn't do!).

Dan

Thanks Dan but this is a perfectly good running engine (watched the video) so I shouldn't have to worry
                    Last edited by langleylad; January 15, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

It depends on how much the engine is handled, etc. before reinstallation. The two I failed were drained of fluids and shipped to NC from wherever they were found (I know one was from Florida). Anyhow, if that internal oil pump loses its prime it will have a hard time getting a prime back before major damage happens. The supplier (LKQ IIRC) is now requiring pressure prelube or they won't warranty the engines based on my experience. They were really good at working with me and their tech rep said they had a lot of these engines fail when reinstalled and by working with me they figured out why.

Dan

Comment

I need some input please , I'm playing with the idea of running manual brakes , mainly because I'd like to lose the booster to make some more room. It has been many years since I've had a vehicle with them , your thoughts ?

Comment

I converted Mutt to manual brakes and it works fine, at least 1 mile at a time. I did a bit of research and found out the appropriate master cylinder bore size and went with that. In the case of the S10 I just went with whatever GM used for their manual brake/disc brake application (can't pull up the diameter off the top of my noggin) and it's worked out fine. Squirrel or one of the smarter-than-Dan guys (there's plenty on here) may be able to provide a formula or other guidance to help you get the right bore size the first time but of course there IS always trial and error.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                            I need some input please , I'm playing with the idea of running manual brakes , mainly because I'd like to lose the booster to make some more room. It has been many years since I've had a vehicle with them , your thoughts ?
                            may want to consider a hydroboost....master cylinder stays in about the same location,however, you lose the volume sacrificed for the vacuum can....
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Staying with power steering? I wonder about Astro van hydroboost.. As popular as those conversions have become I'd bet there's a kit for it.

Off the top of my head, at least on the stuff I messed with, the pushrod attachment point needs to be moved or get a manual brake pedal. I don't recall on the brake pedal but I remember crying about getting the clutch pedal out of a second gen s10..
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Man, I wish you were close to me, I'd take the current engine and trans combo off your hands.

I have an 87 Mazda B2000 that just doesn't run right. The 2.0 in it is a gutless turd anyway. I wanted to do an SBC swap but christ on a cracker, a 350 core is more than I paid for running drinving cards 20 years ago. Asking prices on an LS engine/trans combo are prohibitive as well. That little 4.3 would be perfect for my 100+ mile a day commute!.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X