S10 2.0 ..... Turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post

edit - forgot you have the turbo combo to add, so maybe another 100-150lbs depending on intercooler setup etc.....
    how does one forget a turbo?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Time for an update , to start I gotta say how happy I am that I got my hands on this engine . The fact that it only has approx 60m miles really shows. I tore it down to gap the rings and this engine is in great condition , super clean. I opened up the top rings from .016 to .025 and the second rings from .025 to .030 . The rod bearings look great as they should.
      I also swapped out the stock valve springs for the Pac 1218's , simple swap. I pulled the stock cam which I'm replacing with the Elgin Sloppy stage "1" cam . One thing that I did notice was the front cam bearing was showing a little copper in two places. The stock cam journal looks fine but I'm going to replace that front bearing , the others look fine. So this slows things down until Tuesday when I should have my hands on the new pieces.
      Last edited by langleylad; March 15, 2021, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• In typical langleylad fashion , I didn't look into the cam bearing "problem" deeply enough before I ordered new bearings and tore the "damaged" out. Turns out that it's not a bad bearing and that it's quite common for LS cam bearings to show some copper. From what I've read in assembly at GM they align hone the cam bearings and this causes the copper to come through. According to Brian Tooley it's not something to worry about . Quite often when they replace camshafts in relatively new engines they have seen this. If a pro isn't worried either am I.
        My parts arrived today (a day early , I love Rockauto) , so I tapped in the new bearing and installed the cam and associated bits and pieces . Tomorrow I'll bolt on the heads and valvetrain and maybe give it a coat of paint if all goes well .
        Last edited by langleylad; March 16, 2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Everything went well today I'm glad to say. I managed to bolt down the heads using GM MLS head gaskets and new Felpro fasteners. I installed the new LS7 lifters and trays even though the original pieces are in excellent condition , bagged and tagged them and into my parts cabinet. Everything else was like new and was reused . I then finished the day by wiping the engine down with grease and wax remover and brought out the spray gun. I used Eastwood high temp ceramic engine paint that I had left over from my Cougar project . Looks great .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1218.jpg Views:	10 Size:	794.2 KB ID:	1290213
          Last edited by langleylad; March 18, 2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• it's all aluminum now

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              it's all aluminum now
              Ya , it’ll be even faster now !

Comment

• Looks like it Belongs in "Space X"

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post

Ya , it’ll be even faster now !
                  and I believe you... oh wait, you're a Canadian.. we will use the standard "trust but verify" :D

Comment

and I believe you... oh wait, you're a Canadian.. we will use the standard "trust but verify" :D
                    That's mighty nice of you !

Comment

• I guess the next step is to move the Cougar out of the shop and into the driveway so I can move the S10 into the shop and start to dismantle. I plan to modify the crossmember so can get the engine to sit low enough to get the TBSS intake to fit under the stock hood. I'm going to use the factory cast exhaust manifolds , passenger side on driver side and vice versa. Obviously they will need to be altered . I picked up a couple of schedule 10 2" stainless steel 90 degree elbows to play with. I'll use these to extend the manifolds and then weld on v-bands which then I'll run 2 1/2" stainless tubing that I have left over from the Cougar. But I'll have to wait till the engine is in place before that fun begins.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	1290945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1290949

Last edited by langleylad; March 29, 2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• wait a minute... where the exhaust manifold come from?

Comment

wait a minute... where the exhaust manifold come from?
                          2007 Express Van

Comment

• that should be slick.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• It has begun ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1291253

Comment

• Got lots done today

Click image for larger version

Name:	0681EB75-F525-4687-A3AB-CB2865937795.jpeg
Views:	70