No announcement yet.

S10 2.0 ..... Turbo ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve spent hours behind the dash installing the new wiring harness. I didn’t want to just cut and splice . So I’ve been unpinning connectors and plugs . Since I removed all of the HVAC there is more room behind the dash but not as much as you’d think. I made an aluminum panel with a bus bar and a couple of terminal blocks and mounted it to the firewall behind the glovebox. I’ve run the wires not needed from the new harness to the terminal blocks. I can then connect new components easily. This harness is a great piece for the price . Thought I was surprised that there was no backup light wires provided but there is for a CB radio
    Last edited by langleylad; May 2, 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Time for an update, in order to get the proper driveshaft angle and not wanting to do major surgery on the trans tunnel. I made new motor mounts . In doing so many things come into play . Transmission to tunnel, power steering pulley to steering box , exhaust manifold to frame rail and thankfully the oil pan to crossmember is not a problem since I modified the crossmember. I modified the passenger side frame rail for clearance for the exhaust manifold. I also bodyworked the firewall where I removed the HVAC and the fuse box connector. This morning I sprayed on some factory bright red and painted a section of the frame rails . I was lucky to find some low profile Allen head bolts at work. These will give me more clearance between the PS pulley and the steering box. Click image for larger version

Name:	3E1E7181-6ED0-4D60-A726-5283079E3517.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	1293587

Comment

• where is the CB antenna going to be?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          where is the CB antenna going to be?
          . Good one !
          Last edited by langleylad; May 8, 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Got a bit done today. Installed the Motion Raceworks manual brake kit , a very nice piece . I also mounted the Wilwood brake proportioning valve , I’ll try and bend up some lines tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9D170CF-6EAD-4533-BF47-13D8D2174509.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	1293742

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
              Got a bit done today. Installed the Motion Raceworks manual brake kit , a very nice piece . I also mounted the Wilwood brake proportioning valve , I’ll try and bend up some lines tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9D170CF-6EAD-4533-BF47-13D8D2174509.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	1293742
              Looks spiffy . Nice and compact looking .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_72267.jpg Views:	3 Size:	752.2 KB ID:	1293911
                Brake lines are done and the Jeep steering shaft is shortened and mocked up . The Jeep shaft is smaller in diameter than the S10 shaft.
                Last edited by langleylad; May 11, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1B597720-E1A8-4724-9A49-745C7734DD8A.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	658.4 KB
ID:	1294134 I hope it’s as noticeable in picture as it is live but that’s 2 1/2” on top and 3” below. Big difference to me and it’s only a 1/2” difference.

Comment

• the shot angle messes with it, but pi*r*r on 2.5 v. pi*r*r on 3.0 is 4.9 sq in v 7.1 sq in .... in metric, it's bigger.

Oh yeah, forgot, it's only 1/4" side to side (both sides). It'll fit. May need to be buffed out a little. :| That's what hammers are for. (and I'll stop now)
                    Last edited by Beagle; May 14, 2021, 09:20 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I needed the 2 1/2” for the crossover leading to the turbo and the 3” for the down pipe .
                      Last edited by langleylad; May 15, 2021, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        the shot angle messes with it, but pi*r*r on 2.5 v. pi*r*r on 3.0 is 4.9 sq in v 7.1 sq in .... in metric, it's bigger.

Oh yeah, forgot, it's only 1/4" side to side (both sides). It'll fit. May need to be buffed out a little. :| That's what hammers are for. (and I'll stop now)
                        They ARE NOT HAMMERS........
                        They are Modifiers.......
                        Available from Tiny "Watch Maker" size
                        To Circus Tent Stake 20 pound size.......
                        But Implemented Dents are still called "Hammer Hickies"

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post

They ARE NOT HAMMERS........
                          They are Modifiers.......
                          Available from Tiny "Watch Maker" size
                          To Circus Tent Stake 20 pound size.......
                          But Implemented Dents are still called "Hammer Hickies"
                          I can appreciate you perspective, but at my age, you can't really take anything away from every time I ever heard my Dad say "Don't force it son. Get a bigger Hammer" and there's still everything from a 4 oz to a 16 pounder around here that belonged to my great grandad. Sledge hammer. I don't want to swing a 20 pounder, my best days were done in with a 12. For that matter, some implemented dents might have been called whiskey dents. :| lol.
                          Last edited by Beagle; May 17, 2021, 06:09 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• When I worked on a survey crew the fun thing to do with the new guys was show them how easy it was to handle a 12 pound doublejack. Hold it from the end of the handle and lightly touch your nose with the hammer, then let them try. Yeah, we were cruel. We had a 16 pounder, but I can only think of a handful of times anyone ever used it, myself included. It wore you out quick. I couldn't even imagine swinging a 20 pound hammer all day. Those skinny old guys were tougher than the hardest tough guy today.

Comment

• Those Huge Hammers that they drove Carnival Tent Stakes with were as large as a child's head, had a Large Iron center,
                              and both sides had replaceable Hardwood "Pucks" .
                              I don't own one, just remember them when as kids, Small Town Excitement was them set up the carnival at the county fair.....
                              And the "The Bell Ringer" with vertical sliding weight sent by hitting the flip lever with a maul

Comment

• I'm surprised you didnt flip the exhaust manifolds so they exit up higher. What kind of plan do you have for the turbo placement? The higher the better as the return is only gravity feed. Will you be welding a bung in the pan for the oil return?

Also check you converter bolt holes to the flexplate bolt holes. I've seen that sometimes they dont line up on certain LS swap motors. Guys will take a die grinder/carbide bit and elongate the flexplate holes. Cant remember if it needs done on the 4.8 or 5.3, etc?
                                Last edited by redneckjoe69; May 18, 2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X