Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.currieenterprises.com/un...nding-u-joints
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Thank you for your help my friend

Comment

• I thought that I’d share something with you all . Yesterday I was ordering some AN fittings from Summit. I was wanting black anodized fittings but a couple were back ordered by a month at least . I tried a few other suppliers and got the same thing. It dawned on me that I’m not going to be able to see these so I wonder if they have blue anodized pieces, sure enough they did . Ordered them , now I don’t have to wait a month.

Last edited by langleylad; September 23, 2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• So after figuring out which u-joints I needed I placed an order with Summit . A week later they show up at my door. One is just a standard 1310 , the other is a conversion u-joint 1310/1330 . Anyhow I received the wrong conversion joint in the correct box ……

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
            So after figuring out which u-joints I needed I placed an order with Summit . A week later they show up at my door. One is just a standard 1310 , the other is a conversion u-joint 1310/1330 . Anyhow I received the wrong conversion joint in the correct box ……
            Bummer. Sadly, I don't think Summit has much control over that though in my experience they're pretty good about fixing it.

Dan

Comment

• Since I had recieved the wrong u-joint , I was at a standstill with the driveshaft. What I'm dealing with here is mating a Chevy diff and a 68 Mercury driveshaft. I had all my measurment in hand and started searching the net for the correct u-joints , I found them and ordered them. The diff end of the shaft required a 1.062 cap with a cross width of 3.219 and the diff yoke required a 1.125 cap with a cross width of 3.625 . Neapco makes such a piece so I ordered one from Summit as you already know. The part I recieved had the correct cross widths but all the caps were the same size 1.062 , this is no bueno . With the wrong joint laying on the bench , I removed the diff end joint from the orignal S10 shaft and layed it beside the "wrong" joint . Then I noticed that the GM piece has the c clips on the inside of the joint and the "wrong" joint didn't , so even if I did receive the correct joint it would not have worked anyhow as it is the same design. As the c clips locate the joint in the yoke , they are very much required. Then I layed one joint on top of the other and noticed the yoke with was the same. With calipers in hand I got to measuring , I pulled the caps off of the joints and measure the inner portion of the joints and they are the same . So I took the caps with the c clips from the GM joint and installed them on the new "wrong" joint . They were a perfect fit as the inner diameter is the same . I then proceeded to install it on the driveshaft , no problems there , pumped it full of grease and I crawled under the truck , slid the trans yoke in and "plunk" she slid into the diff yoke without a hitch .. perfect fit . Sometimes you get lucky ....
              Last edited by langleylad; October 3, 2021, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Lucky is good. On my adaptor U-joints for Mutt the guy who made the driveshaft provided them so I really don't know the source but probably Neapco. Anyhow, they work fine.

Dan

Comment

• Summit got back to me yesterday and told me that the replacement was on it's way and to throw the "wrong" part away ...........

Comment

• My Pull a Part yard of Choice is a Good 45 minute ride. Was open during the whole pandemic.
                    The only thing of worry are the same for All Junk Yards, ......Surprise Hornet Nests, Mosquitoes, NoSeeUms (Don't Bite, but just swarm you) and here in the far North, Black Flies.
                    BUT, we DON'T have Poisonous Snakes, Scorpions, or Brown Recluse Spiders !
                    Inventory does change, but the Klunker Laws, and China's Thirst for Iron a while back, kept it in limited supply of "Good Junkers" in the Era I'm looking for....

Comment

Summit got back to me yesterday and told me that the replacement was on it's way and to throw the "wrong" part away ...........
                      annoying, I don't know where to be irritated at an auto parts supplier or at the jerk who knowingly returned the wrong part in those situations. Probably the jerk yeah buddy, you got your $30 back and cost me $100. Thankfully I know that people like that find their lives are being lived in constant headwind because no one trusts them.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 4, 2021, 08:05 AM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

annoying, I don't know where to be irritated at an auto parts supplier or at the jerk who knowingly returned the wrong part in those situations. Probably the jerk yeah buddy, you got your $30 back and cost me $100. Thankfully I know that people like that find their lives are being lived in constant headwind because no one trusts them.
                        The thing that annoys me most is the fact that companies ( Summit in this case) will ship out the "replacement" part in no real hurry . When I built my Cougar , I used the Detroit Speed Quadralink rear suspension. Now this is not a cheap package , it was missing spacers for the coil overs .I notified DSE , they appoligized and said they would send them right out . 3 weeks later they showed up in the mail . In my mind , they should have shipped them out via UPS/FedEx 2 day service and it would have cost them what $20-$30 .... peanuts .

Comment

• On a side note, I just read that Detroit Speed and Engineering was bought by Holley.

Comment

• Ummmm it looks like I owe Summit an apology , the replacement arrived today ........... Sunday ! Yes a Sunday delivery ! . Thank you Summit

Comment

Ummmm it looks like I owe Summit an apology , the replacement arrived today ........... Sunday ! Yes a Sunday delivery ! . Thank you Summit
                              they're waiting because what you said really hurt them

I mean, really, did you really have to say that they make AutoZone look like a speed shop?
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 11, 2021, 10:05 AM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they're waiting because what you said really hurt them

I mean, really, did you really have to say that they make AutoZone look like a speed shop?
                                You love to stir the pot don’t you ?

Comment

Working...
                                X