No announcement yet.

76 C10 short box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever happened with the Olds? Last I remember you were well into making it rust free.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      What ever happened with the Olds? Last I remember you were well into making it rust free.

Dan
      Its coming along, but I was waiting on parts and can work on it when its colder. Also i need to have more vehicles drivable, which is the reason the truck went in the shop. I need something else cool for a summer driver, and the GTO works, but its kinda getting faster and less economical, besides the truck has utility and a slammed square body is kinda sweet.. The Cutlass and the truck will be in the shop while its cold out, especially if I can get the waste oil heater going. Truck is getting cab corners, rockers, doors, and probably bed sides. Most of that is cheap, except the bed sides, then its getting painted black.. might go single stage, might go base clear. It depends on what the price of materials does after all the lockdown crap finally ends.

Another project I want to do for a daily is the 71 Formula, the plan is a good suspension, from mostly factory stuff, some 17" wheels, 400/2004R, and make it as aero as possible so I can have a cool car that gets decent mileage for trips to town and the surrounding area. It would be kinda quick, but not overly so. Either 2.41, 2.73, or 3.08 gears are going under it. I wanted to go get it this year, but that didn't work out with the trip home in May, and then other stuff happening this month.

I want the Cutlass done and out of here by June, its taking up too much shop space. Next year will probably be spent doing the Mustangs, Cougar, and Cuda. Did I mention my dad left me his Cuda back in May? the Cuda needs some paint, rust repair, engine/carb work. I think it will get the FiTech because its such a slug.. no way should it be that slow now, the Edelbrock carb on it is not helping it at all.

Cutlass is about 2 maybe 3 hard days welding and shaping metal then a day painting the underside, then it can go back on the frame. Once its on the frame it will go together very fast. The house took up all of last year, and I have been trying to focus on a place to live rather than building vehicles, so everything else languished for 3 years unless I had to drive it.

Comment

That Cuda is pretty - as I know the others will be. Which engine?

I really admire your productivity. I seem to be able to do 3-5 hours/day now that I'm an old fart. Things still get done but at a slower pace. I wish you lived closer so you could spur me on and I could lend you a hand when needed.

Dan

Comment

That Cuda is pretty - as I know the others will be. Which engine?

I really admire your productivity. I seem to be able to do 3-5 hours/day now that I'm an old fart. Things still get done but at a slower pace. I wish you lived closer so you could spur me on and I could lend you a hand when needed.

Dan
          Its a 340/727 with 3.23 sure grip. The E carb has got to go, its really pathetic.No plans to make it a race car or anything, more of a fun driver we can take to shows. Dad won lots of trophies with it when he first got it. You can't drive it and not be noticed, definitely not something you want to use to rob a bank. Its still in Nebraska at my brother's shop. The kid wanted to go along to the funeral which meant I had to take the dogs, she had two of hers, so we had to take the winter beater '06 GP, with 5 dogs in it. So no bringing the car back without the truck and trailer. The truck to go get cars is another project, 02 ish Suburban that a meth head took apart on the inside. Got it in trade. The C10 is for moving stuff local, might be able to take two dogs in it, since one of mine died and the kid stayed in Nebraska with her two. Lots to do, and I have to move the cars from the farm since my youngest brother owns it now. Its what we all agreed on. I need to find some land back home and get the hell out of Michigan.. lol

Honestly I do about 2-4 hours a day, but I try to do something every day. When I can work, I tend to work kinda fast, just can't keep it up for long. Ten years ago I would have had the trans out of the GTO and the new one back in last night. As it is, I drained the fluid, pulled the driveshaft, upper bolts, and considered putting a seal in the steering box. Before that I did some wiring and tuning on the 68 LeMans, cleared the shop so I could get the C10 out, then pulled it on the trailer so I can move it around easy. Then I put the GTO on the lift, its getting tough to get down and put the lift under the frame on things.

The 68 runs very good now, considering its engine is almost all used parts I got from the Pontiac community. I wonder how many people can put together a 461 with solid lifters on hydraulic cam and aluminum heads for around $3200.. I even found some headers for it that only cost me $150 shipped. Still not getting WOT on the LeMans, but its not like I am racing it right now. When I do go race it, the thing should run.

The rear tires and mounts showed up today, its noon, so I need to cook/eat something, and get the trans done on the GTO, and will probably mount the C10 rear tires too.

Comment

The wheels and tires got here for it, the 454 is now out of my shop, and the LS mounts are in. So once I figure out whats up with the 65 I can get back into this thing. Traded the 454 for a 72 LeMans that has the GTO front end on it. The front end parts on that thing are worth about $5k, even with some rust in the fenders, so it was a hell of a deal. I need them for my 72 GTO because it was bought wrecked.

Comment

Deal on the '72. The parts you need as well as additional parts as you find that you need them. Is the parts '72 a convert? Might be value there, too. But I know you already thought of that.

Dan

Comment

Deal on the '72. The parts you need as well as additional parts as you find that you need them. Is the parts '72 a convert? Might be value there, too. But I know you already thought of that.

Dan
                Not a ragtop, the guys I got it from needed roof parts for a Chevelle, so they cut the sides out above the door glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

the guys I got it from needed roof parts for a Chevelle, so they cut the sides out above the door glass.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

While I am not afraid of EFI in the least, the requirements to put it on this thing are more than I want to deal with to get it running and moving under its own power. Wanting it moving this year makes the difference, since I might need to take it home to Nebraska pulling a trailer if I can't get the '00 Silverado going again. So I broke down and bought a Holley intake and an MSD ignition to run it with a carb. There is a ton of carbs sitting around here, and I might just get silly and put one of the adapters on it so I can run the Qjet that was on the 454, or the one from the 455 HO, or the 79 Trans Am, or one of the E85 carbs I have done... I wonder how many LS engines are fed with Qjets...

To do EFI I need HP tuner or LS1 Edit, some kind of software and scanner, 6.0 injectors, a base tune since I changed a few things like the cam and headers, need to delete the rear O2 channel as well as VATS. Then I need to pull the tank from another truck, probably the '00 Silverado to use the pump and make some lines. While the cost is about the same as the $750ish for the intake and ignition, time is a factor here because snow will be showing up in 50 to 70 days, and then it will stay until May. I need to move back home so I can drive my junk all year with no need for sacrifices to the NaCl gods.

All I need is one of the many 5-7psi pumps I have around here, some time playing with the MSD, some carb gaskets, and the carb. The longest part of the deal is going to be swapping the Th350 guts from the BOP case back into a chevy case so it has the right length tail shaft for the driveshaft. Just so happens its the same length as a 700R4.. if I can ever figure out why two of them do not work after sitting a few years. No its not fluid level, the front pumps aren't broken either, so it has me scratching my head. Not to worry, a Th350 should work fine for a while. There are a few Th400s laying around as well, but that needs a different shaft again.. who knows if I have one that will work or not. I want to go 80E and EFI, but its not happening this year, or even next year most likely, and I need a spare parts chaser/trailer yanker.

That LeMans is very interesting the more I look at it, if it shows up in its own thread then I decided to rebuild it. A Pure Stock 455 HO clone would be kinda cool..For now its parked by the 70 GTO.

Comment

The metal is here, I am carving up an 04 Silverado for parts to use on this one. New doors, rockers, cab corners, cab mounts, and patch panels for the box are sitting here waiting to go on. Put all of that stuff on, change the rear leafs, flip the axle, notch the frame... Then shoot it all black like it was before, wait until I can get in and put plates on it, current wait times are two months, and then I can drive this thing again. Might go ahead and get HP Tuners so I can put the EFI on it now that I have a tank from the 04 ready to go under it.

More videos on the way. This will do for now.

Comment

Great to hear from you! Hope all goes well.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X