No announcement yet.

Capt's New Tow Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a solid solution if you've got the range you need from one tank. I've heard more than once about dual tank Ford's filling up the wrong tank from the return line. I've had both styles, where the high pressure pump is inline and the tanks both have lift pumps and the later style where each tank has a high pressure pump in it, but never experienced it personally. The old style, my '88 F150, I switched all the time anyway because I thought it might be buildup or dried seals... now I'm kind of curious how it all works because secret squirrel plans that might need both high pressure pumps running (where would they return to??)

The later trucks with single tank and deadhead'ed pumps make a lot more sense to me (and probably the warranty folks too) for everyday trucks. My 2016 has a single 36 gallon tank that I'm spoiled with, but it really doesn't matter because my navigator has to stop about every 60-90 minutes anyway.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      my navigator has to stop about every 60-90 minutes anyway.
      I can relate with the navigator!

Dan

Comment

This is the Easiest Heater Core replacement that I ever have done.
        I was sceptical even after looking at the diagram Click image for larger version

Name:	heathous5.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1290991 ​​​​​​
        the only problem was removing the plastic clips on the core tubes in the engine compartment.
        Actually they broke, the removal procedure doesn't work.
        ​​​​​​But the core is easily removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2059.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	691.9 KB
ID:	1290993

Name:	KIMG2053.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	1290992

the core slides right out after you get it out of the sealant around the edges.

Name:	KIMG2055.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	668.6 KB
ID:	1290994

And the new core slides in.

Comment

Sure is nice to get something easy once and a while!
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
            This is the Easiest Heater Core replacement that I ever have done.
            I was sceptical even after looking at the diagram Click image for larger version

Name:	heathous5.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1290991 ​​​​​​
            the only problem was removing the plastic clips on the core tubes in the engine compartment.
            Actually they broke, the removal procedure doesn't work.
            ​​​​​​But the core is easily removed.

Name:	KIMG2059.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	691.9 KB
ID:	1290993

Name:	KIMG2053.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	1290992

the core slides right out after you get it out of the sealant around the edges.

Name:	KIMG2055.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	668.6 KB
ID:	1290994

And the new core slides in.
            Now try replacing a heater core in a fox body ! ............... it took me a weekend

Comment

Took me a weekend - and the ensuing week. I couldn't find anyone in Ann Arbor, including professional shops, who would take it on so I had no choice.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post

Now try replacing a heater core in a fox body ! ............... it took me a weekend
                I traded a '83 Cougar over the heater core. Too bad I didn't know about this guy!

Name:	new-core-in-jpg.66991.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1291158

When I took the car to the shop, the guy told me the heater core was leaking. I was surprised about that and couldn't believe it at first. But sure enough, when I got the car back it was steaming up the windows. Having replaced a really corroded radiator (likely the original one) a couple years...

but yeah, '88 F150, thirty minute job... I still have scars from my '86 C10. May have been one of those pivotal brand allegiance moments. :|
                Attached Files
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Great tip on the heater core replacement. I'm hoping mine is still good but if not I'm going to try this method. Think I'll pull the upper intake as the 5.8 is taller and wider than the 5.0.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Took me a weekend - and the ensuing week. I couldn't find anyone in Ann Arbor, including professional shops, who would take it on so I had no choice.

Dan
                    Yeah us too. Maggie had the extended warrantee on her Rustang, and Varsity Ford did the job. Only cost $25. Best $25 ever spent on a car by me!

Comment

Captain, this van reminds me of a J. J . Cale song, made famous by Eric Clapton: Cocaine, or the song by Jackson Browne, Cocaine.

Or one of my friend's wife's brownies. Man they were good! Him and her and her younger sister, who was my age, sitting in their home eating hash brownies way back in the day... At least I remember the start of those nights, the rest is just a blur. Waking up the next morning wanting to inhail a bag of M&Ms. Oh the wasted days of youth...

Comment

Can't do admitting to any of that, as I can be called back to do Government Jobs......
                        BUT I Will Say........
                        Yes I Grew Up When,
                        DRUGS WERE GOOD FOR YOU !!!

Now its Beers, and if Too Many,
                        tomorrow is Doing Things Slower....
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Well the drugs we take now are good for us. However they are the result of doing all those things that were fun back then...

And I bet I can speak for Dan as well as for myself, Never working for government again!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                            Well the drugs we take now are good for us. However they are the result of doing all those things that were fun back then...

And I bet I can speak for Dan as well as for myself, Never working for government again!
                            I am Very Selective in answering Phone Calls, as I really have NO INTENTIONS of going back to work !!
                            But if it's a Government or Public Utility "Integrity Work Call", I can Do This Work with NO PENALTY to my Pension Payments,
                            And I get Premium Class 1 Teamster Pay Scale plus Bennies......
                            I still Have this Rusty Iron Junkie, Compulsive Collector Disorder to support !! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I'm simply never going to work again - for anybody!

EDIT: As I think about it - I really did like my Gov't job. The work was interesting and I had a fair amount of independence (though I had to snatch that). What I didn't like was that the most self-serving were allowed to push themselves int management where they could make work life unpleasant for all of us. I miss the work sometimes and I miss the great folks I worked with but I never miss the idiots who ran that zoo.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; April 2, 2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Me neither. As you said Dan I liked the people we WORKED WITH, not the people we WORKED FOR. Big difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X