No announcement yet.

Stanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those look great! those are the same tire and size I on PF1. I liked them.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was a bit nervous about Sumitomos as I'd never run them and I didn't know anyone who had. The tire store I frequent doesn't sell them but they said they're fine so I felt a bit better about them then. They look excellent and I'll see how they work soon.

Dan

Comment

Very sharp!
        Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
        74 Nova Project
        66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
        79 Chevy Truck Project
        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

And 4 high quality studs will work just fine. Nice look. Remember when I tried snows on the back of ours with the police wheels? That was fugly!

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Just like your avitar!

Dan

Comment

Paint Tips:
                I worked up the driver's door to repaint the top part and fix the area where the MAACO paint pealed off along with a race number (won't make that mistake again). I'm trying my new Harbor Freight gravity-feed gun (not the disposable one, this one was ~ $125). The gun is pretty decent though I'm still getting used to it. The transfer rate is MUCH higher than my old Binks #7 so I need to adjust technique. That and the fact that I ended up with slow hardener and I got some runs. Here's how I fixed them:
                Cut the big bumps then scrape the runny parts:

Scrape: I'm pulling the blade toward the right in this pic so it won't dig in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0757.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	437.9 KB ID:	1303219

And after scraping. Minimal sanding w/800 grit and it was ready to buff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0756.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	306.6 KB ID:	1303220

This works WAY better than trying to sand them out which pretty much always results in sanding thru. Full disclosure - I had to repaint anyhow as I buffed thru in another area not related to the runs. The second coat looks a lot better as I sprayed lighter and used a faster hardener.
                Last edited by DanStokes; August 15, 2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I was a bit nervous about Sumitomos as I'd never run them and I didn't know anyone who had. The tire store I frequent doesn't sell them but they said they're fine so I felt a bit better about them then. They look excellent and I'll see how they work soon.

Dan
                  Hi Dan

You may know Sumitomo better by their other brand name, "Dunlop" ....

Andy
                  Last edited by Red_Kitty; August 18, 2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Who owns who? They look great on the car!

Dan

Comment

Andy - I looked up Dunlop and Sumitomo. Sumitomo used to ge in bed with Goodyear (or was it Goodrich? but I don't think so) but evidently they've split up. Goodyear had control of the Dunlop name and part of the agreement when they were together was that Goodyear would make Dunlops for the North American market and Sumitomo would make them for the Asian market. Evidently that's how they left it after they split up. Don't you wish couples could just get along?

Anyhow, 'Stanger updates:

Stanger sitting outside with his new shoes. I REALLY like them. He looks lighter and more athletic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0764.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1305720

So it wouldn't latch I removed the door striker when I was working on the door. As I threaded the center pin out I heard a CLINK and sure enough the captured nut for the latch pin had fallen down in the quarter panel which meant I had to pull the roll cage loose (but not all the way out) so I could remove the rear seat and the rear side trim to recover the nut and start the door pin back into the nut. Turns out that the small retainers were gone which is why it fell in the first place though I decided not to fix that at this time.

Here's the cage going back it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0763.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	880.2 KB ID:	1305721

And then..... As I was pulling the ol' boy in and out of the shop he developed a brake line leak. It turns out that when I replaced the flex lines a few weeks ago the steel line got twisted a bit and eventually failed. This pic shows the point of failure - that sharp bend seems to be the weak link.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0774.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	927.2 KB ID:	1305722

I ordered up new SS lines and started the installation. The right side line on an AC Mustang is not a picnic to replace. After several hours of pain and suffering it's in place as shown here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0775.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	1305723

And here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0776.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	843.3 KB ID:	1305724

And a look in the engine bay. Note what's not there right now. The master isn't too bad but the booster is such a stinker to do that I'll get a new one before reassembly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0778.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	893.4 KB ID:	1305725

Dan

Last edited by DanStokes; September 5, 2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

oooo shiney stainless steel, looks great Dan.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Love seeing a Ford powered mustang. Looks good. Like the new wheels. I had a set for a bit but they didn't get along with my 4 eyed suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by JWS4621 View Post
                            Love seeing a Ford powered mustang. Looks good. Like the new wheels. I had a set for a bit but they didn't get along with my 4 eyed suspension.
                            Thanks for the appreciation. I think the 5.8 tall deck fits just about as well as the 5.0 though it is a bit closer here and there.

I have 8mm spacers on the front studs and the quad shocks, etc. are long gone from the rear, replaced with Maximum Motorsports stuff. I had to shuffle the right side exhaust a bit to clear both the driveshaft (turns out it was rubbing) and the right rear tire. Moving a 20 year old exhaust connection (muffler to tail pipe) is never easy but after a slice to the muffler outlet tubing and a lot of heat Asa and I got it done. Those rear tires are BIG suckers - 275/40ZR17's and on 10" rims and the combo look great.

Dan

Comment

Car looks great Dan , I just read through and it reminds me of the 89 LX that I bought new . Enjoyed it for 8 years until a Bronco wiped out the front end . I'll be sure to follow along .... even though it doesn't have an LS

Comment

All I can say is ....PooPoo on an LS in a Ford! (I cleaned that up a bit). I really like the 5.8.

I was planning to have it back together today but it turns out that when I did the rear axle/disc brake swap I installed a '93 Cobra master which is just like the 5.0 LX master only different. Now that I've ordered the wrong one from Advance and returned it it's all coming back to me (in my defense that was more or less 20 years ago......) Anyhow, I think I'll call Maximum Motorsports tomorrow and get the right master and a spiffy bit of plumbing they offer to make everything hook up more nicely. Back on hold for a few days as I await the Big Brown Truck.

As far as looking great - I buffed it out and Asa and I waxed it but Stanger REALLY needs a new paint job. Thinking I'll strip him down this winter and take him to Harry (my local painter guy w/booth) and get fresh paint/clear.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; September 8, 2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X