Stanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I'm cornering the market so that I'll be rich.... someday, people will realize the value of these things and then who will be laughing? and I'm doubly smart because I have a nailhead, several 215 aluminum motors, and even a complete 350 Buick. The world will bow at my feet when they realize how smart I was in collecting this scrap.... errr... crap.... errr... TREASURES!!!!

what I don't understand is Dan has a nailhead that would work just fine in the Stanger.
    Yeah and wouldn't it also put Stanger in a vintage category if he took it to ECTA? I'm just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Yeah and wouldn't it also put Stanger in a vintage category if he took it to ECTA? I'm just saying...
      when you're right, you're right. No argument from me on this...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Okay Dan, we all want to know: nailhead in Stanger for next year? New record holder in your future?

Comment

I'm cornering the market so that I'll be rich.... someday, people will realize the value of these things and then who will be laughing? and I'm doubly smart because I have a nailhead, several 215 aluminum motors, and even a complete 350 Buick. The world will bow at my feet when they realize how smart I was in collecting this scrap.... errr... crap.... errr... TREASURES!!!!

what I don't understand is Dan has a nailhead that would work just fine in the Stanger.
          Not any more. Nobody would take it (even for free) so it went for scrap metal. It needed everything - pistons, crank grind, etc. etc. And no, a OHV V8 doesn't qualify for vintage, just flathead V8s or inlines so a Buick straight 8 would work. It hurt my heart to scrap the 322......

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; September 12, 2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Not any more. Nobody would take it (even for free) so it went for scrap metal. It needed everything - pistons, crank grind, etc. etc. And no, a OHV V8 doesn't qualify for vintage, just flathead V8s or inlines so a Buick straight 8 would work. It hurt my heart to scrap the 322......

Dan
            So I could probably get a hold of a flathead if you really want one. And it would be a Ford in a Ford, so the purists won't complain. I'm pretty sure Rocco still has an 8ba block I gave him. You can even mate it to the automajic in Stanger that way. Hey just tryin' to help an old friend...

Comment

So I could probably get a hold of a flathead if you really want one. And it would be a Ford in a Ford, so the purists won't complain. I'm pretty sure Rocco still has an 8ba block I gave him. You can even mate it to the automajic in Stanger that way. Hey just tryin' to help an old friend...
              8-1’s. Be cool.

Comment

Great concept but it's been done. There's a guy who races a flathead in a Fox Mustang at Bonneville and, I think, El Mirage. Look for an orange Fox in the Bonneville pics. I'm sticking with the 5.8 though I do know a guy with a 500 Caddy in a Fox body........

Dan

Comment

Great concept but it's been done. There's a guy who races a flathead in a Fox Mustang at Bonneville and, I think, El Mirage. Look for an orange Fox in the Bonneville pics. I'm sticking with the 5.8 though I do know a guy with a 500 Caddy in a Fox body........

Dan
                  from what I understand the fox body is an excellent storage platform
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

from what I understand the fox body is an excellent storage platform
                    Sadly, you seem to be right on this one.

Dn

Comment

Sadly, you seem to be right on this one.

Dn
                      So what's happening with Stanger? Updates please!

Comment

So what's happening with Stanger? Updates please!
                        The new front brake lines are in (the right side line is a real PITA) and after several attempts I have a start on bleeding the system using a big syringe to pressure bleed. I've done this before and it works well with a completely empty system though I always seem to need a little old-fashioned foot-powered bleeding to finish it up. My buddy Dick (he of Volvo fame) is coming by after lunch tomorrow and we'll hopefully finish up the bleeding process. Then it's a state inspection and following a trip to the license plate agency we should be on the road! VROOMM!

A couple of days ago I got the brake light and pedal-to-booster connection reattached. This is no easy job and after an hour or so upside down under the dash I out-stubborned it (one of my Mom's words). It explains why Asa and my first attempt didn't work. He was pumping and didn't realize that the brake pedal should have been off the floor and I had forgotten that I hadn't hooked up the brake pedal yet. We both learned something.

Of course, there's always more to do. The top cylinders seem to be leaking so I'll have to look into that and no doubt more challenges will identify themselves.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; September 26, 2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I hate those sever attempts . And hey bleeding brakes is never a fun task. So it sounds like you got it, with a little hiccup. Those things happen.

Comment

Update:

Brakes are bled but apparently I got the booster rod length too short so a nice pedal happens too far down.. Hey, there was math involved and that's why God invented engineers which I ain't. So I'm cheating and have ordered up the H-shaped tool that makes it idiot-proof and I NEED that. Pretty sure I can pull back the master and reset the rod w/o opening the hydraulic system. Pics when the tool gets here.

On another front, my deck lid has a tiny bit of rust on the bottom edge which I had mentioned to Russell. With his advanced level of Google-Fu he pulled up a white '92 convert that had made it's way to an LKQ yard in Greenville, NC. They have their system set up so that you can never call the yard and get a parts check so I took the chance and drove up there. Turns out the deck lid was still there and almost pristine so I picked it up for $55ish and brought it home. Asa and I started stripping it down so I can touch up a tiny bit of paint on the underside of the lid and transfer my lock and wiring harness to the replacement lid. I might restripe it to match my old paint scheme but I'm still chewing on that. Pics to follow.

Dan

Comment

Update:

Brakes are bled but apparently I got the booster rod length too short so a nice pedal happens too far down.. Hey, there was math involved and that's why God invented engineers which I ain't. So I'm cheating and have ordered up the H-shaped tool that makes it idiot-proof and I NEED that. Pretty sure I can pull back the master and reset the rod w/o opening the hydraulic system. Pics when the tool gets here.

On another front, my deck lid has a tiny bit of rust on the bottom edge which I had mentioned to Russell. With his advanced level of Google-Fu he pulled up a white '92 convert that had made it's way to an LKQ yard in Greenville, NC. They have their system set up so that you can never call the yard and get a parts check so I took the chance and drove up there. Turns out the deck lid was still there and almost pristine so I picked it up for $55ish and brought it home. Asa and I started stripping it down so I can touch up a tiny bit of paint on the underside of the lid and transfer my lock and wiring harness to the replacement lid. I might restripe it to match my old paint scheme but I'm still chewing on that. Pics to follow.

Dan

So did you pay core charge and get the extended warranty on it?

Our LKQ here loads you up if you don't watch them closely.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

So did you pay core charge and get the extended warranty on it?

Our LKQ here loads you up if you don't watch them closely.
                                They were disappointed that I didn't go for the extended warranty. And yes, the $55 includes a core charge. On a piece of sheet metal. Just another way to list a low price that you can't actually buy an item for.

Strange yard. As mentioned, there's no way to directly contact the yard. There were a couple of guys running a big fork lift and the crusher but the front end was staffed by 2 young Hispanic women who knew nothing. Pretty sure I could have told them that that the deck lid was a starter and that's how they would have billed it. Just warm bodies to take in the money. Don't get me wrong - they were nice enough but clearly just clerks. When possible I'm sticking to our local Pick n Pull.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; September 26, 2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X