No announcement yet.

Stanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripe width looks good . You putting a blue pinstripe on each side ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      Stripe width looks good . You putting a blue pinstripe on each side ?
      Not currently in the plan. I don't want him TOO painted up, like a lady with too much makeup (we've all seen that). And yeah, I'm good with the stripes too.

Dan

Comment

• The 73mm calipers arrived today from Cardone thru Summit. They were in stock at Cardone and they sent them right away so I'm very pleased with both Cardone and the shipper (forgot to look at who toted them). Note that there's a sort of washer welded to the ID of the piston - no problem but you have to know that before you order pads as there are 3 possibilities depending on that ID. Max Motorsports contacted and they'll send a PN soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	73mm Calipers.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	823.0 KB ID:	1310442

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; December 9, 2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Pads and retainer clips on the way. Jack at Max Motorsports provided me with PNs - one from them and one from Rock Auto.

Dan

Comment

• All the parts have been here and installed for a while. However, bleeding the system has been giving me a fit. I've put everything together and taken the master back off several times but I couldn't get the rears to bleed. After thinking on it I decided it had to be in the master, either a faulty master (probably not likely) or my bench bleed was inadequate. So today I removed the master - again - and set it up on the bench. I did the "push the piston w/Phillips screwdriver" trick and determined that I wasn't getting very complete travel of the piston. After as quick head scratch I came up with this contraption:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	983.9 KB
ID:	1311903

The arm was just a piece I had sitting in the scrap box - if I made one I'd weld a washer inline with the handle but this offset version worked just fine. Note the bolt pushing the piston and the boly/nut securing the pivot of my lever. MUCH easier and facilitated full strokes of the piston. Anyhow, it worked great and sure enough I started getting bubbles in the rear brake line then a nice clear flow. I put the master back on with the bench bleed fittings in place and unhooked the bleed fittings as quickly as possible to replace them with the brake lines. I bled the system with my HF vacuum bleeder (takes a good air compressor) and Bob's yer Uncle, I have brakes. The pedal is a tad lower than I'd expect but firm. When young Asa is back over we'll do a bit of foot bleeding just to be sure I have all the air out.

This means Stanger will be roadworthy soon!

Dan

Comment

• I student is probably telling the Master.....
              for low brake pedal,
              I have had to adjust the "Stem" with the ball on the end coming out of the Brake Booster.
              This is independent of the pedal throw adjustment. Its a PAIN to do, I used a piece PlayDough, on the Master Cylinder, and you want just enough that it is not "Squeezed Out", and the brakes are hanging up, and Too left much for Low Pedal.

My two bits.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                I student is probably telling the Master.....
                for low brake pedal,
                I have had to adjust the "Stem" with the ball on the end coming out of the Brake Booster.
                This is independent of the pedal throw adjustment. Its a PAIN to do, I used a piece PlayDough, on the Master Cylinder, and you want just enough that it is not "Squeezed Out", and the brakes are hanging up, and Too left much for Low Pedal.

My two bits.....
                Done did that. I actually own the proper tool (an "H" shaped deal with adjustable measuring rod) and I used it. The booster rod has about 0.002" clearance, about the minimum you should go with. I've had the pedal be a bit low from having just a tad bit of air in the system so I'll make sure that's not the case. And maybe this pedal sits just a bit lower than I'm used to and it's OK?

Thanks for the thought, though.

Dan

Comment

• More on the Saga of Stanger's Rear Brakes.

The guys at Maximum Motorsports took a second look a the pics I sent and noticed a significant problem: The calipers are switched from side to side. This means they'll never bleed as an air pocket gets formed at the top of the caliper piston. As I was working today I had a foggy memory of bleeding these attached to the brake line but not bolted on with a block of wood standing in for the rotor - not really a great solution.

Anyhow, I started yesterday to trade sides with the calipers and that went sorta well until I noticed that the E-brake cable brackets ran into the Max Motorsports Panhard brackets. Didn't want to give up the Panhard bar so I started inventing and came up with this:

Note that the bracket is no longer straight along its long side. I notched the bracket and bent it about 10* or so (I should measure that angle) then bolted it on the caliper and checked for clearance - it works! Then did the right side the same way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	672.3 KB ID:	1314632

Driver's side with the cable peeking out from the Panhard bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	844.7 KB ID:	1314633

Then the passenger's side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	869.1 KB ID:	1314634

And here's the right side all buttoned up. Note that the bleeder now points roughly up as opposed to pointing down like in the older pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	797.4 KB ID:	1314635

So all is well, right? Not that easy. Turns out that my 20+ year old Wilwood proportioning valve has taken the proverbial dump and no longer allows fluid to pass. A new one is on the way which I prefer anyway as it eliminates 2 adaptor fittings and I'm all for that.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; February 21, 2022, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• WHOO-HOO!!!! Today I actually drove Stanger on a public highway for the first time in 14 years - though not legally. I drove him to a shop where they checked the AC (low but held vacuum so they charged him up) and fixed a couple of other odds and ends. I drove him back and am working on getting plates but the automated DMV site can't deal with a car w/o plates for 14 years so I'll have to go in and talk to an actual human. The insurance is back in place so at least that's handled.

Once I have valid plates I'll take him over to Carolina Dyno and have Randy tweak the tune. Stanger runs well but is a bit fussy at idle and I know there's more HP to be had. The build is so old that it has an Autlogic piggy-back chip which may of may not still be needed.

I'd forgotten how quick Stanger is! Easy to remove rubber from the tires and implant it on the road.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; April 13, 2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      WHOO-HOO!!!! Today I actually drove Stanger on a public highway for the first time in 14 years - though not legally. I drove him to a shop where they checked the AC (low but held vacuum so they charged him up) and fixed a couple of other odds and ends. I drove him back and am working on getting plates but the automated DMV site can't deal with a car w/o plates for 14 years so I'll have to go in and talk to an actual human. The insurance is back in place so at least that's handled.

Once I have valid plates I'll take him over to Carolina Dyno and have Randy tweak the tune. Stanger runs well but is a bit fussy at idle and I know there's more HP to be had. The build is so old that it has an Autlogic piggy-back chip which may of may not still be needed.

I'd forgotten how quick Stanger is! Easy to remove rubber from the tires and implant it on the road.

Dan
                      Good job! So after legalizing it, what's next? Paint, new bigger engine when you start wanting more, flared fenders to get more rubber under it? Okay I'm done spending your money...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Good job! So after legalizing it, what's next? Paint, new bigger engine when you start wanting more, flared fenders to get more rubber under it? Okay I'm done spending your money...
                        It is enjoyable spending somebody else’s money 💰

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post

It is enjoyable spending somebody else’s money 💰
                          Especially Dan's! When we used to bench race, we sometime tried to see who (or is that whom?) could be the more radical. He won usually. But I am younger than him, so less experienced.

Comment

• Groovy !!!
                            And I thought 10+ years to get the Indy Racer Project on the road was a L-O-N-G Time..........

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I won't do much with the engine other than a better tune. He really needs paint but that can wait until after convertible season which runs pretty long here. My plan when the time comes is to prep Stanger then have Harry paint the tub. The hood and deck lid are already spiffy so those will be removed and I'll fight with door alignments and the right rear quarter-to-bumper alignment (Dave, remember we called that "close enough") before it goes to Harry's booth. I'm fighting with the idea of pulling the engine and trans so I can detail the engine bay and undercarriage but I may pass on that given that I expect a new project will be here by then.

Dan

Comment

• After it goes to Randy's is it going to the track or does this one stay at fair weather street car?
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X