Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loren
    replied
    I have one of those and once I satisfied myself that I would be able to work it, it's just sat there waiting for a real project. With that, your major stretching will still need a shot bag or tree stump with a depression ground into it then the 'wheel smooths the hammering out while coining/stretching some too. I would highly recommend buying some fresh .050 3003 or 5051 aluminum to learn with and not messing with old steel. You want just nice material in there or you will ding up the wheels.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I already have several 4 1/2 grinders so I went that way rather than buying another tool. But then, TOOL!!!!!!
    Exactly! I think that it is obvious to even the most casual of observers that I have an affinity for collecting tools, regardless of the age, frequency of intended use, or any such nonsense.

Tools, the adult person's toys...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I beat you to the punch. A couple of years ago I bought one of those Eastwood surface conditioning thingies. And a few of the various types of drums. They had a sale and another incentive that made it affordable (I'm glad HF has a similar one hopefully the drums interchange). I've used it a few times and it works for me to remove paint and rusty areas. But like all metho, it's messy, so I'll be waiting for better weather.
    I already have several 4 1/2 grinders so I went that way rather than buying another tool. But then, TOOL!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Go online and order up some stripping wheels for your 4 1/2" grinder. It's the easiest way to strip that sheet metal.
    I beat you to the punch. A couple of years ago I bought one of those Eastwood surface conditioning thingies. And a few of the various types of drums. They had a sale and another incentive that made it affordable (I'm glad HF has a similar one hopefully the drums interchange). I've used it a few times and it works for me to remove paint and rusty areas. But like all metho, it's messy, so I'll be waiting for better weather.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    You all have a much better opinion of my abilities than I do. I'm planning on making a lot of bent metal first. The neighbor has a lot of stuff like old metal shelving, that's 18 or 20 gauge. And I can use up as much as I like. Unfortunately it needs to be stripped of paint and rusty areas, but the price is right. So as soon as I have destroyed some, I'll show you just how bad I am.

On the brighter side, there's enough metal in one shelf to make a grille for the track nose on the whatever project. And I have a good picture in my head on what I want the surrounding edge to look like. I think it will be a good first attempt to build something using the English Wheel. And I don't even have to make a template. I can make it fit the nose, cause that's what it needs to do...

So now I have 2 new toys for making good metal into scrap!
    Go online and order up some stripping wheels for your 4 1/2" grinder. It's the easiest way to strip that sheet metal.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    You all have a much better opinion of my abilities than I do. I'm planning on making a lot of bent metal first. The neighbor has a lot of stuff like old metal shelving, that's 18 or 20 gauge. And I can use up as much as I like. Unfortunately it needs to be stripped of paint and rusty areas, but the price is right. So as soon as I have destroyed some, I'll show you just how bad I am.

On the brighter side, there's enough metal in one shelf to make a grille for the track nose on the whatever project. And I have a good picture in my head on what I want the surrounding edge to look like. I think it will be a good first attempt to build something using the English Wheel. And I don't even have to make a template. I can make it fit the nose, cause that's what it needs to do...

So now I have 2 new toys for making good metal into scrap!

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Here it is, the latest addition to the garage!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_173819.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1349534 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_173755.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1349535 I've been watching videos on the care and feeding of the English Wheel, looking for ones that include the Harbor Freight wheel or the equivalent from other suppliers. This one is from Jeg's, because it included the lower anvils, as I found out that people call them. They're rollers to me...

I have spent a lot of time looking at Wrey Shelin's videos. He uses a bunch of the Harbor Freight wheels for his classes, and a lot of the videos show him using, modifying, tuning up, or in some way altering them. You can see the first change in the above pictures. He turns the bases around, putting the wide double foot to the rear. It helps the balance and gets the big leg out of the way. He also adds a 6x6 cross under the legs to raise the machine up and add more stability. The neighbor has a 6x6 so that is next...

The engineer in me likes the concept of his further modifications, however I feel there might be a better way to get to the endpoint. So that's all for now...

I need more room now!
    My shoulders hurt just looking at it! I am looking forward seeing what you make.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    whoa, a professional metalworker in our midst.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Here it is, the latest addition to the garage!

Name:	20240209_173819.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1349534 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240209_173755.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1349535 I've been watching videos on the care and feeding of the English Wheel, looking for ones that include the Harbor Freight wheel or the equivalent from other suppliers. This one is from Jeg's, because it included the lower anvils, as I found out that people call them. They're rollers to me...

I have spent a lot of time looking at Wrey Shelin's videos. He uses a bunch of the Harbor Freight wheels for his classes, and a lot of the videos show him using, modifying, tuning up, or in some way altering them. You can see the first change in the above pictures. He turns the bases around, putting the wide double foot to the rear. It helps the balance and gets the big leg out of the way. He also adds a 6x6 cross under the legs to raise the machine up and add more stability. The neighbor has a 6x6 so that is next...

The engineer in me likes the concept of his further modifications, however I feel there might be a better way to get to the endpoint. So that's all for now...

I need more room now!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    It's here!. Now where do I put it? 1st step, assembly. Then, where will it fit in? I have to stop adding stuff to the garage...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

"Some college" - basically, trade school. No certificate in anything.
    Okay so I'm the freak here! I didn't start out as an engineer. I spent 10 years turning wrenches on paper machinery.

Yes, Loren, it's gotten at least twice the mileage doing the 2 round trips. The Mini probably only got 1300-1500 miles total autocrossing, limited street use, and a couple of track events. And 650 miles on the trailer going to upstate New York from Ann Arbor. 1 round trip plus the 2nd trip out is at least 9000 miles. It looks good on that toolbox.

So today was a good day in the garage. Got the concrete in the weight pan of the lathe stand! Mark McCullough of This Old House doesn't have to worry about losing his job anytime soon, but being it's just a bottom mass, ehh!

Name:	DSCN1899.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1348905
    And I got the drive belts on! Only cut myself once in both of those projects. Don't know which one...

And Wednesday I'm getting a new, new tool! from Jeg's yet! And the price was good. Should I tell you all what it is? Or wait until it's in the garage? Oh, I'm just going to tell you what it is. An English Wheel! And theirs has the lower anvils included in the price. Unlike Harbor Freight.

But the garage is still a little bit of a mess. , whom am I kidding? It's a pigsty! I'll take pictures when it gets here... of course it needs some assembly. At least no batteries are needed.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

I barely got through high school (seriously) so don't worry about me...
    "Some college" - basically, trade school. No certificate in anything.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    I'm just trying to fit in with the bunch here....
    Engineers, Lawyers, 2 time Dr. of Nuclear Physics.....
    I barely got through high school (seriously) so don't worry about me...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

Good to see a "Normal" Shop Tool Boxes of Organized Chaos!!
    I do like reading Dan's MG posts.....
    But I am getting a Narcosis from his
    TV Show Shop Cleanliness......

Please , Not to Hurt yours or anyone's feelings Dan
    ​​​​​​
    Believe me, my shop is a mess. I try to spiff up the area where the pics are taken but really - it's a pit.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1348838

Got the plate a while back, THX. Two trips across the country, it probably has more miles on it in the box than it did on a car...
    Good to see a "Normal" Shop Tool Boxes of Organized Chaos!!
    I do like reading Dan's MG posts.....
    But I am getting a Narcosis from his
    TV Show Shop Cleanliness......

Please , Not to Hurt yours or anyone's feelings Dan
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X