Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Woo hoo! It's on the bench!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1896.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	1348405 I've got a lot of little things to do to get it running, but this is progress. Now, however, I've got to rearrange the garage and make everything fit in and be usable.

Name:	DSCN1897.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	1348406 And concrete! I'm going to fill the pan between the bottom legs with concrete for even more weight. I can barely move it now, so I'm thinking that it won't dance around once the Italian heritage comes out.

Name:	DSCN1898.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	1348407 And drive belts. Thank god harbor freight sells linkbelt. I don't want to take it apart just for belts...

That's all for now!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Moved ahead a little bit today on the lathe subproject. Got the 4 hold down hanger bolts laid out, pilots drilled, and the lag screwed in! Woohoo, man I'm really cooking with gas now...

Hey, it took all afternoon, after we got back from Maggie's therapy appointment, for the heater to get the garage warmed up. 65 degrees at the back door! Probably a little warmer where the lathe subproject is sitting. T-shirt warm!

Yeah, I'm a slacker.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Keyboard diarrhea...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Dyslexia??
    Lexdysia?

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Dyslexia??

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Double shots is more better than no shots. Heck, back in the day of film development and processing, my Mom always got double prints.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Liked the picture so much, I figured you guys would like to see it twice

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well, there was progress today on the lathe subproject. I got the weight pan made, the plank top screwed on, and purchased 2 bags of concrete for ballast. A little paint in the pan tomorrow once I get the garage warmed up (the paint wants 50 degrees or more for 4 hours ), and the concrete goes into the pan. It's post setting concrete, so just dump it in the pan, dampen, and walk away. I can do that!

Name:	DSCN1893.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	1347428
    So, moving on...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

I have a Lazer Level .....
    I got it from one one the past jobs it was on.
    I didn't STEAL IT, they just Never Asked for it Back...... A little Profit Sharing I call it.
    Retirement benefit. They just figured you'd rather it than a gold watch. Never understood the gold watch thing. I'm retired, time is irrelevant now, well, except for doctors appointments. And bathroom schedules. Very important for bathroom schedules.

Way back in the millwright days, we used K&E transits to level and align the machines. Of course that would be a little bit of overkill for this small lathe. 3 or 4 of the guys got to go to a 2 day training course. I was handed the manual. One of my friends and coworker Tony and I had a machine in need of alignment, and the guys with the training were out in the field doing the final alignment. Tony and I figured out how to do it in about a half a day.

The foreman didn't have any confidence in the alignment so when the 1st crew got back, he had them check our work. Took them the better part of a week. Meanwhile we're standing around not getting any more work done on the machine with a shipping deadline approaching. They got done and had not moved anything on the machine, i.e. we had done it correctly. I was glad when that foreman left for a "better" paying job with a competing company, which went under a couple of years later...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    So, back on topic: sort of. I'm still working on the new to me lathe. Next steps include fastening the top to the legs, welding the angle iron leg spreaders and concrete holders in place, painting it with Rustoleum machine gray per Dan, and finally getting the lathe on the top.

So 1st step was to get screws to bolt everything down with, top to legs and lathe to top. DONE! That was yesterday... But I forgot to get 0.005 shim stock. And I'm ordering a new precision machinists level from littlemachineshop.com. I had one to use in the lab before I retired, but I don't want to drive 100 miles round trip twice to do the initial leveling of the lathe, when I might move it after rearranging the garage in the spring. And besides, like mentioned above, only those with no imagination die with a positive net worth .

I have such a mess in the garage right now, I have a tough time walking around the Whatever project let alone working on it. Next up is finish the right side header, and back on the tri-Y headers. Back allowing.

So now I've committed to get going, let's see how good I stick to the plan!
    I have a Lazer Level .....
    I got it from one one the past jobs it was on.
    I didn't STEAL IT, they just Never Asked for it Back...... A little Profit Sharing I call it.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So, back on topic: sort of. I'm still working on the new to me lathe. Next steps include fastening the top to the legs, welding the angle iron leg spreaders and concrete holders in place, painting it with Rustoleum machine gray per Dan, and finally getting the lathe on the top.

So 1st step was to get screws to bolt everything down with, top to legs and lathe to top. DONE! That was yesterday... But I forgot to get 0.005 shim stock. And I'm ordering a new precision machinists level from littlemachineshop.com. I had one to use in the lab before I retired, but I don't want to drive 100 miles round trip twice to do the initial leveling of the lathe, when I might move it after rearranging the garage in the spring. And besides, like mentioned above, only those with no imagination die with a positive net worth .

I have such a mess in the garage right now, I have a tough time walking around the Whatever project let alone working on it. Next up is finish the right side header, and back on the tri-Y headers. Back allowing.

So now I've committed to get going, let's see how good I stick to the plan!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Yeah, UPS. Ground. January. Sorry about the expense, and mucking up your build thread. -Loren
    Mucking up what? Wait, you mean I'm supposed to stay on subject? Why I remember one time at one of the Superflow Advanced Engine Technology conferences when I had talked one of our division directors to speak, that she had me mention a project Dan and I worked on, I think the project was done in 95. Dan, when did we bring in the Crusher Camaro. And we were going thru reorganization of government, for what good that did.

Well, it did get a couple of the old guard out the door. Unfortunately not all of the problem managers left. And they told us instead of lower level management titles, we had team leaders, which was never fully defined as to duties, responsibilities and authorities. Which lead to my section chief and me, a team leader, to have daily discussions about the directions of our various projects.

Oh wait, what was I talking about? See, it's not a problem, getting me off topic...

Maybe someday I'll stay on topic. Nah!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    You didn't screw up, I forgot to tell you to not use the U.S. Post Office. They will not deliver anything bigger than an envelope in my area, they hold it at the facility for a few days and if you didn't for any reason (e.g. out-of-town) get or see their notice to go there and wait in line for it they send it back marked "undeliverable". I have lost many parcels over the years because I forgot to tell people or to not use USPS. Somehow UPS or FedEx are able to get stuff here without any issues.

This is hardly a rural area, the USPS just puts itself out to suck that bad. If I have to even mail an important letter I'll sometimes put it in a box and send it UPS.
    Weird! All of the services (even DHL) work well here although they sometimes get the wrong house as there's a E and W with the same numbers on our street - understandable that there would be mistakes. We're all the time getting each other's pizzas, etc. and we pretty much sort each other's mail regularly. If we have our usual mail man (he IS male) we're OK but when a sub is on the route it's mayhem.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Yeah, UPS. Ground. January. Sorry about the expense, and mucking up your build thread. -Loren

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    You didn't screw up, I forgot to tell you to not use the U.S. Post Office. They will not deliver anything bigger than an envelope in my area, they hold it at the facility for a few days and if you didn't for any reason (e.g. out-of-town) get or see their notice to go there and wait in line for it they send it back marked "undeliverable". I have lost many parcels over the years because I forgot to tell people or to not use USPS. Somehow UPS or FedEx are able to get stuff here without any issues.

This is hardly a rural area, the USPS just puts itself out to suck that bad. If I have to even mail an important letter I'll sometimes put it in a box and send it UPS.
    Oh man! The guvmint! So that same address via UPS or FedEx will get to you? I'm going to wait until after the holidays to reship it! Minimize the chances that way...

Merry Christmas

Leave a comment:

Working...
X