X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That would pass NHRA as I understand it. But you could make a bolt together halo cage for LSR in Maine and take it out when cruising town. Just a thought...... I think E/STR assuming you're running gasoline. I'll check the record in Maine.

I'm back: E/STR is an open record. If you can get down the track you have a record. The "D" class record is over 200 so you don't want to slip into a bigger engine class!
    So what would a 1300 cc/80 ci engine fit into? With a little encouragement the 2nd Mini could be put together. Or 61 ci? After all I have 2 different sizes of engines for the Mini.

I have the Mini, and the Camaro is still a dream.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    So just like the Mini had. It was a bolt in that I fully welded.
    That would pass NHRA as I understand it. But you could make a bolt together halo cage for LSR in Maine and take it out when cruising town. Just a thought...... I think E/STR assuming you're running gasoline. I'll check the record in Maine.

I'm back: E/STR is an open record. If you can get down the track you have a record. The "D" class record is over 200 so you don't want to slip into a bigger engine class!
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 25, 2023, 10:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So just like the Mini had. It was a bolt in that I fully welded.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

You know, that doesn't seem right. I thought I read that in unit body cars, such as a Camaro, that NHRA did allow bolt in cages, with caveats. Such as a specified size and thickness baseplate, number of bolts, size of the bolts, number of points, i.e. how many attachment points, and et max with said cage.

I'm probably wrong, because I usually am. I seemto remember reading about a car that coul crossover between NHRA and SCCA type events. It would be nice if the difference sanctions could get together on something like that. After all, I like going fast, but just one venue is so boring, especially if it only lasts 10 to 15 seconds. Of course being a former roundy pounder, go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary was the thing to do.
    You sorta have it - but not quite. NHRA allows BOLT IN cages in a unibody car w/restrictions but not BOLT TOGETHER cages. So the only bolts allowed as where the cage attaches to the body whereas in LSR (and, I think, some other sanctions) bolted joints are allowed within the cage structure, again with restrictions. The nice part with the S&W joints is that they meet the joining requirements so if you use them in the right places you're OK. A guy ran with us at ECTA with a modern Ford GT with a bolt together cage and got in the 200 MPH club with it. Passed tech with no issues. Side note: That cage was built by S&W and was a work of art. The reason was that the guy's wife wouldn't ride in the car with him if it had a jungle gym so it had to come out when not being raced.
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 24, 2023, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    You remember correctly. Section 21, page 21, current rulebook (hasn't changed much in a while if I remember correctly)

"... All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar welded or bolted to frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame; therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. ..." (followed by all the caveats)

source: https://nationaldragster.s3.amazonaw...k_22_11_08.pdf
    Last edited by Beagle; November 23, 2023, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Or you could make a bolt-in halo cage for Whatever and run it (him, her?). Bolt-in is OK in LSR though not in NHRA - go figure. With the bolt-in you can take it out for daily use. S&W makes a great bolt together tube connection for this purpose - I did the down bars in Mutt with them.
    You know, that doesn't seem right. I thought I read that in unit body cars, such as a Camaro, that NHRA did allow bolt in cages, with caveats. Such as a specified size and thickness baseplate, number of bolts, size of the bolts, number of points, i.e. how many attachment points, and et max with said cage.

I'm probably wrong, because I usually am. I seemto remember reading about a car that coul crossover between NHRA and SCCA type events. It would be nice if the difference sanctions could get together on something like that. After all, I like going fast, but just one venue is so boring, especially if it only lasts 10 to 15 seconds. Of course being a former roundy pounder, go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary was the thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Or you could make a bolt-in halo cage for Whatever and run it (him, her?). Bolt-in is OK in LSR though not in NHRA - go figure. With the bolt-in you can take it out for daily use. S&W makes a great bolt together tube connection for this purpose - I did the down bars in Mutt with them.
    The thick plottens! Oops, I did it again, reverse those words.

Interesting. I wonder if it becomes available whatwhatswm SWMBO would say? Hmm, have to see what developes.

On another note: think back a few pages where we saw our intrepid troglodyte and his nephew anachronism making a scrap iron stand for the new to me lathe. And the discussion about it needing a wooden top for the lathe to sit on. Well, today I was at my favorite hardware store, Allerdice Ace Hardware, where I get premier discounts (you have to spend a lot to reach that goal), and asked about butcher's block counter top material.

Yes, they were willing to get me some, but howabout using a piece of glue lam, 1.75 inch thick? Oh and btw, we have a miscut section, 18 x 55 or so. I need 16 or wider x 46 or longer.

Great! How much?

It's yours for the taking! Yup, I'm there a lot...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Ooo, had to tell me that, didn't you? And worse yet, there's a 1st generation Camaro just around the corner from me, and it's been sitting outside for 4 years now, without moving. I wonder if it might be for sale. Could be interesting...
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 22, 2023, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Ooo, had to tell me that, didn't you? And worse yet, there's a 1st generation Camaro just around the corner from me, and it's been sitting outside for 4 years now, without moving. I wonder if it might be for sale. Could be interesting...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

One last thought: imagine a 3 inch stroke version, smaller yet, for maybe some sort of class limits engine. Yes I have a problem. My name is Dave. Hi Dave...
    184.00 to 260.99 CID is an E engine in LSR. Most of those class records are pretty soft so you could run up to Maine and have lots of fun. Planting a seed........

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Still can't seem to message, so yeah all good.
    Got an early Christmas present today! Got the address for the flip flop. Start looking for a centennial Michigan State plate sometime next week. They look great BTW. And those little blemishes, I actually like that they are there. Once installed, that 283 will look like it belongs in the Whatever project. If anybody wants those fugly chromed aftermarket valve covers, let me know. I've got a box they will fit in and packing tape...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Swappin' tin!
    It took 3 looks before I realized that last thing in your comment was an exclamation point, and not a t. Makes a real difference in the meaning.

Like punctuation in the following sentences: Time to eat grandma? Time to eat, grandma? BIG difference

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the Whatever project. Crazy idea here. Remember Chevy had some oddball engine combinations for the small block back in the 70's? Like the 4.2? Basically it was a 2 year engine by the best I can surmise. 3.671 inch bore and 3.1 inch stroke. 262 cubic inches displacement. It was intended to be an economy engine, but given GM in those days, it was a bit of a flop. So what, you may ask?

Well, here's an interesting tidbit about that engine. It had heads with 60 cc combustion chambers, 1.71x1.5 intake and exhaust valves, and most importantly the same ports as their current 350 heads, i.e. not huge but for a small displacement engine possibly oversized. That is if you intend to use it in an economy mode. And they appear to be heavy cast heads, which were a slightly later development that Chevy tried for weight reduction.

And I am just crazy enough to contemplate getting one of these engines as an experiment. Or at least for a set of the heads which might be a good swap onto a low compression 283. With slightly larger intakes, it could be a good setup.

So keep your eyes peeled for one, preferably up here in the northeast, but I might be able to swing the shipping cost for a running example, price or swap potential one.

One last thought: imagine a 3 inch stroke version, smaller yet, for maybe some sort of class limits engine. Yes I have a problem. My name is Dave. Hi Dave...
    Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; November 21, 2023, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Once I have the return address it's yours.
    Swappin' tin!

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Still can't seem to message, so yeah all good.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    That plate would be great. I usually like ones that have some-type story behind them instead of just buying at swap meets etc., this'll do.
    Once I have the return address it's yours.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X