X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Then, do I use it under the Whatever project or save it for Sonny?
    I'd say yes.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Got all the ugly ground off, including the tube thru the hole in one end. Found a chunk of metal inside the axle. And no it wasn't the chips or some other swarf from whomever drilled thru the axle. It looked like a chunk of something from the forging process of the axle. I bet it drove someone along the way crazy trying to find a noise in the front of the car it came out of. Tomorrow, 2 plugs of 1/4 inch thick steel plate and some time with the tig, and the holes will be repaired. Then, do I use it under the Whatever project or save it for Sonny?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Woo hoo! Lookie, lookie! Championship rear axle Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1861.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1344131 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1860.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1344132 in place of this one: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1615.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1344133 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1613.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1344134 Big beefy axle in place of not so much! The new to me axle has a 10 inch ring gear, the little one is basically just a Model A ring gear. So, a little bit of reworking ahead, and it will be a good part of Sonny.

And for you old Ford guys, I won't say the price, as it was a bargain. No, not the above axle, this one
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1862.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1344135
    Yes it's a V-8/60 tube axle, 1937 vintage. You can see some stuff that needs to be cut off, and there's a hole in it to be patched, both non-issues. It has NO pitting, it's straight, and the kingpin bores are in good shape. Compared to a 1933-34 i-beam axle, it's light.

Name:	DSCN1866.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	1344136
    It's also a tad narrower than the i-beam axle. I'm really tempted to see if I can fit it into the Whatever project. Who knows what evil lurks in the garage of Dave? Only Dave knows...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So tomorrow is a swap parts day. A little more than a year ago I think? I picked up a midget quick change rear axle. It's currently in the back of the Blazer, as by this time tomorrow it'll be back home sort of. The guy I got it from offered to swap it for a championship quick change rear axle. I think he's got a need for it for a customer. Now this guy is 82ish years old, still working on customer cars. I'm going to be lucky if I can still work on my own stuff at 82.

So Sonny, son of the Whatever project, will have a rear axle that'll stand up to anything I can throw at it. Now I have to make some changes in the plans for Sonny. So we're going to need some serious bench racing to get the car rolling.

Parts that are in the garage: 283, Hilborns, Schroeder champ car steering assembly, whatever transmission turns out to be appropriate, lots of steel to work with, and probably other odds and ends that I don't remember. BTW, I also have a lead on a Powerglide that's been set up for drag racing. So knowing that I can be influenced, what ideas are out there?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

Just Sitting Back .....
    Enjoying the Banter........
    You know, I had a Banter once. Flame orange and black. Except at night. Then it was flame black. Or maybe just black. It was hard to tell, because it was dark!

Did you have a Banter? Can you say Banter? I bet you can...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied

Just Sitting Back .....
    Enjoying the Banter........

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

How was that? Can you tell I was formerly employed by government?
    Two governments! BTW - Russell's nose is also in the government trough (as my Dad would have said).

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I was thinking if there is space, a spacer would be easier than building new headers.

I have never built headers you might be available to re square the exhaust ports and get them a few degrees down.

Third option. Only the lawn chair crowd will notice. I don't think anyone will notice at 55+ mph. Do we really care what the lawn chair crowd thinks?
    So upon further review and evaluation, and considering all of the options, and ruminating over the so called lawn chair and the utter lack of caring about what they say or think, and cogitating on the work entailed in the reconfiguration and realignment of the tubes with respect to the frame rails, I have come to a most momentous decision regarding the disposition of the headers, that being said I feel that you all have been extremely supportive of the efforts I have attempted to make in the execution and construction of the Whatever project, and therefore it requires a well thought out way to get to the point of this extremely irritating diatribe...

To answer Russell's question, idk, idc, and idgaf what the lawn chair brigade says...

How was that? Can you tell I was formerly employed by government?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    You know that we've gotten way away from the topic lately. So for my next posting, I'll be back to progress. Right now I'm spending some time and money getting some bits and bobs to finish the exhaust system. I'm going to keep the current set of headers as is, and I have started on a tri-Y system, as I would like to get the headers under the hood, once I make it. The sprint car style headers will find a home on the next project, so knowing that they have a 5 degree tilt. Ill plan for the engine placement to compensate. Tri-Ys should allow me to tuck the exhaust system up under the frame. I'm going to shoot for 2.25 inch diameter outlets on the tri-Y system. And nothing trick after all for mufflers, just what will fit down under the floor above the lower frame tubes.

Wish me luck...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Hey Dan. Remember the Do Dah parade? And Tom Baines' story of his participation in it? Some of my colleagues at Battelle did the Columbus parade late 80s. They all wore black Blues Brothers type suits sunglasses and hats. And all had similar brief cases like Elwood carried his harmonica in.

Only they all carried a certain brand of battery powered pistol drills, 12 guys in all, in the brief cases. They'd walk a bit, stop, get out the drills, hold them up in the air, and hit the trigger. They were Battelle's "Drill" Team!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Nothing like Putting Some
    ZIP in your DoDa !!
    You know, I always wondered what would happen if the tubes were all different lengths. And had reeds like an harmonica in them. It's just a thought

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Nothing like Putting Some
    ZIP in your DoDa !!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So instead of beating myself up and messing with the headers, instead I drilled the mounting flanges for the injector ram tubes and mostly finished them. There's a little bit of trimming to do with the tubes, but that's winter project time in the basement.

Name:	DSCN1858.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1343773 Here's the tubes mounted on the injectors.

Name:	DSCN1859.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1343774 Closeup of the system I came up with. I'm going to get different screws with safety wire holes drilled thru the heads, and all of the flanges need trimming to match the shape of the injectors. But essentially done.

So now back to the Whatever project!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Gonna hafta throwa loada nitro at it for the flames!
    Or one of those ignitors in the sidepipes.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

The exhaust angle will help keep the front wheels planted under acceleration
    Gonna hafta throwa loada nitro at it for the flames!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X