Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    I've had different race team names over the years. The S10 raced under the Lazy Mutt Racing moniker. I raced the Camaro under Music with ME Racing in the event we wanted to write it off as advertising for the music studio but we never did. We can come up with something - If it had a SBC Chevy it would have to be Mini Mouse Racing but not applicable. D&D racing is one possibility but not very imaginative.

Dave - remember, it LSR nobody cares what size your valves are, what cam you run, what CR you have, or how many carbs you run. The Classic classes won't allow EFI (it has to be period correct) but as long as you claim the actual displacement everything else is OK. If you run a blower/turbo it changes your class and either N2O or alcohol puts you into a fuel class which is fine as long as you pick a class that reflects that.

Keith and Tonya partnered with Brian Lohnes and his bride when the track moved to Ohio. When we lost the Ohio track after 4 seasons Brian and Keith sold the whole deal to Steve Strupp who now runs the ECTA in Blytheville AR. A long haul for Dave but Loring isn't TOO bad of a tow from upstate NY.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    rattle can... nothing wrong with that if it's done right! It's probably cheaper to spray reduced Rustoleum though. lol. Heck, at one time, there was a giant thread about using Rustoleum, a mop, and a tipping brush! Dan does good paint work... mine would look like Tom Sawyer conned the neighborhood into painting it. haha.

I think Keith Turk used to take that "neat in appearance" thing from the rule book pretty serious though, if he's still playing in the ECTA. I haven't heard from/about him in a while, hope he and Tonya are doing good. Dan?

Roger the weight thing - traction and HP and any aero gains you can make. Weight in the right place is traction, but you know that. I just like to hear myself type.
    Thing is, I know nothing about this type of racing. Yes I've read about it for 6 decades, but never been to any event. Dirt tracks, road racing, ahem, cough, cough, er some latenight speed events on back roads, a couple of trips down a dragstrip, and dirt tracks. Oh I said that twice. Because I did that the most. Way too much in my youth. And I bet the choice of a real Austin Mini is probably not the best choice. But I have it and lots of parts. So what would a smart person do?

And I really don't like to paint! Or do final bodywork. Dan chided me constantly on the proper practices and procedures for doing the finish work. Did I listen? Do chickens have earlobes?

So in the spring I guess I'll see what it's going to take to get it back as a roller, and finish up on the cage reinstall. This is the 2nd Mini, with the cage, mostly, from the 1st Mini. Oh, and lots of parts from various sources. Muwahahaha, I call it FrankenMini!

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    rattle can... nothing wrong with that if it's done right! It's probably cheaper to spray reduced Rustoleum though. lol. Heck, at one time, there was a giant thread about using Rustoleum, a mop, and a tipping brush! Dan does good paint work... mine would look like Tom Sawyer conned the neighborhood into painting it. haha.

I think Keith Turk used to take that "neat in appearance" thing from the rule book pretty serious though, if he's still playing in the ECTA. I haven't heard from/about him in a while, hope he and Tonya are doing good. Dan?

Roger the weight thing - traction and HP and any aero gains you can make. Weight in the right place is traction, but you know that. I just like to hear myself type.
    Last edited by Beagle; November 26, 2023, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    I believe it is Dan. But the car will have a name or something like that for the record book. And Dan said that he won't let me rattle can paint it. However I don't remember what we called ourselves back in A^2 when fettling old cars.

So we'll see what Dan says... Dan?

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied

Now if it's Dave's Car.....
    And Dan Drives it.
    Who is the Record Holder?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

So if I understand you correctly, either engine would get a record just making it thru a run. And it would be faster with someone who doesn't weigh 1/5 of the car's weight. And looking at your pictures lately, I'd say that could be worth around 7 stones. (Hey, I'm keeping it British). You'll have to make the conversion to figure that out.

And you probably still have the proper kit as a driver...
    If you build it I will drive. Even though I'm retired I'll come our of hibernation to run down the track. That said, weight is not nearly as important in LSR as in other forms of motorsports as once you overcome inertia in the first part of the track there is little difference in HP required to keep in moving and gain speed slowly for a mile+. The folks at Bonneville often add hundreds of pounds of ballast to keep the car stuck to the salt.

Yes, I still have my race suit and I think my helmet is still current.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    I got your message but cannot respond, there's no box provided for it and clicking on random things gets nothing. In any event is the Q-Jet intake you have an early one with the front oil fill? You might want that if using the earlier type covers. I probably have that too but those have some weight to them.
    Just early enough. It's got the filler! And also provisions for pcv. I'm a big believer in pcv systems, knowing the history of the device. It was invented by GM in the 20s, yes really, to extend the life of delivery vehicles. Drivers would leave their engines running, for various reasons, while delivering the goods on their vehicle. But no motion means no moving air for a road draft tube. GM was seeing engine failures of under 5000 miles, some cases were in the hundreds of miles. The pcv system was their solution.

Now in current technology engines, not only does it keep combustion residuals out of the crankcase, but with enough pressure reduction in the crankcase, it helps effect better ring seal, pulls oil down from the combustion chamber helping with detonation and preignition, other effects. Yeah, Dan and I worked with engines in the past and actually paid attention to stuff like that...

So regarding the package, I'll find where I put the receipt this morning, and put the tracking information in a pm to you. That way we'll both have it. Look for that tomorrow Sunday, as I'm making dinner next, and then to bed... hey I'm old and I need my beauty sleep.

And before anyone else says it, no it hasn't made a difference yet...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    As far as the Mini: Thinking that body would fit in (engine letter size)/CPRO - in LSR PRO is Production, not Professional, C is Classic.. So the 1300 would be H/CPRO (1.016 - 1.523 liters). The 61 CI would be at the top of I/CPRO (49.00 - 61.99 CID - don't bore that engine!). Wait and I'll look up the records........

H and I/CPRO are both open records. Get down the track and yer somebody!
    So if I understand you correctly, either engine would get a record just making it thru a run. And it would be faster with someone who doesn't weigh 1/5 of the car's weight. And looking at your pictures lately, I'd say that could be worth around 7 stones. (Hey, I'm keeping it British). You'll have to make the conversion to figure that out.

And you probably still have the proper kit as a driver...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    As far as the Mini: Thinking that body would fit in (engine letter size)/CPRO - in LSR PRO is Production, not Professional, C is Classic.. So the 1300 would be H/CPRO (1.016 - 1.523 liters). The 61 CI would be at the top of I/CPRO (49.00 - 61.99 CID - don't bore that engine!). Wait and I'll look up the records........

H and I/CPRO are both open records. Get down the track and yer somebody!
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 25, 2023, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    I got your message but cannot respond, there's no box provided for it and clicking on random things gets nothing. In any event is the Q-Jet intake you have an early one with the front oil fill? You might want that if using the earlier type covers. I probably have that too but those have some weight to them.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    So Dave, I dunno what's up w/ messaging here but it isn't working. I had to get around back to those valve covers, finally did, sent them off today which because you wisely live as far from Gov Newsom (remember that name, he'll be in your state campaigning some day) as possible will reach you in a week. I don't need nor want any covers back, I literally have a pile of various valve covers (I hoard stuff) which will all go to scrap someday. Got any license plates? I hoard those also but they are more desirable here.
    Hey Loren, there's a USPS package on its way to you, and should be there Monday. Let me know if you can read private messages from me, just yes or no, and if you can, ill pm you the tracking number. I assume that the system still is not working for you..

And those valve covers, perfect as far as I'm concerned. They finish the look of the 283. So when it eventually gets a refresh, I'm going to keep it looking factory, well at least on the outside. I have parts from the mangy 327 that can be recycled into it, so it'll have a Quadrajunk and not the more correct 50s 4 barrel, but at least it will be a factory intake.

And if I ever get back on the 327, it will be decidedly not factory. Holley 4 barrel on an Edelbrock Torquer, 1st generation. Roller cam, 462 heads, Gearte gear drive for the cam, Canton road race oil pan, and other assorted good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

That would pass NHRA as I understand it. But you could make a bolt together halo cage for LSR in Maine and take it out when cruising town. Just a thought...... I think E/STR assuming you're running gasoline. I'll check the record in Maine.

I'm back: E/STR is an open record. If you can get down the track you have a record. The "D" class record is over 200 so you don't want to slip into a bigger engine class!
    So what would a 1300 cc/80 ci engine fit into? With a little encouragement the 2nd Mini could be put together. Or 61 ci? After all I have 2 different sizes of engines for the Mini.

I have the Mini, and the Camaro is still a dream.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    So just like the Mini had. It was a bolt in that I fully welded.
    That would pass NHRA as I understand it. But you could make a bolt together halo cage for LSR in Maine and take it out when cruising town. Just a thought...... I think E/STR assuming you're running gasoline. I'll check the record in Maine.

I'm back: E/STR is an open record. If you can get down the track you have a record. The "D" class record is over 200 so you don't want to slip into a bigger engine class!
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 25, 2023, 10:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So just like the Mini had. It was a bolt in that I fully welded.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

You know, that doesn't seem right. I thought I read that in unit body cars, such as a Camaro, that NHRA did allow bolt in cages, with caveats. Such as a specified size and thickness baseplate, number of bolts, size of the bolts, number of points, i.e. how many attachment points, and et max with said cage.

I'm probably wrong, because I usually am. I seemto remember reading about a car that coul crossover between NHRA and SCCA type events. It would be nice if the difference sanctions could get together on something like that. After all, I like going fast, but just one venue is so boring, especially if it only lasts 10 to 15 seconds. Of course being a former roundy pounder, go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary was the thing to do.
    You sorta have it - but not quite. NHRA allows BOLT IN cages in a unibody car w/restrictions but not BOLT TOGETHER cages. So the only bolts allowed as where the cage attaches to the body whereas in LSR (and, I think, some other sanctions) bolted joints are allowed within the cage structure, again with restrictions. The nice part with the S&W joints is that they meet the joining requirements so if you use them in the right places you're OK. A guy ran with us at ECTA with a modern Ford GT with a bolt together cage and got in the 200 MPH club with it. Passed tech with no issues. Side note: That cage was built by S&W and was a work of art. The reason was that the guy's wife wouldn't ride in the car with him if it had a jungle gym so it had to come out when not being raced.
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 24, 2023, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X