The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just food for thought........
    My project started out to be a single seat Retro Rat Rod copy of the "Marmond Wasp".
    And it morphed into a 2 seat roadster, of the New York to Paris Race of 1908 theme.
    Have Fun, Love reading your progress

Comment

Captain, you know that triggers a thought in my warped mind. Remember the movie "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood? Well maybe there is a fusion of all the old stuff most of us have collected, The Race of Gentlemen and that movie, all blended with a taste of the 24 Hours of LeMons. I can picture it now, junkyard dog engines not rebuilt, just repaired enough to run, old straigh axles front and rear, both old Ford and others, for those who like to be different. Frames like you used, but has to be an actual manufacturers frame, mini-truck, old car, hay wagon??? etc. Enough safety equipment so it wouldn't be a blood bath. And some kind of body, real or hand cobbled. I can picture using the next door neighbor's 90's era Jeep Cherokee, as the starting point. Take the Cherokee body off, put safety gear on, and hammer out some sort of body that looks like it would belong in that era.

Like I said totally screwed up mind...

So back to earth. Today I am pondering what to do regarding the radiator. Currently it has a new 3 cross cross flow radiator, which fits the chassis just fine, but is wider than the nose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1052.JPG Views:	7 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	1288793

I could try to widen the nose (I suck at body work, so doing glass is waaaaayyy out of my comfort zone). I could just break down and procure a new radiator the correct width (vertical flow). Or remove the filler cap, capping the hole and moving the filler to an expansion tank, and making the hood sides flair out forming a scoop on each side, sort of like the nose of the Ala Cart show truck nose. Again I suck at body work, but this is metal forming, that I can get done, if maybe taking 2 or 3 false starts to get there. The front of the scoop would be fitted with a metal mesh to camoflage the bracketry and end tanks of the radiator. It would also be a good place to hide a couple of lights for directionals, running lights etc.

Also on to the design of a rear nerf bar/bumper/taillight assembly. I have drawn up a tubular design that looks like a paper clip in shape, albeit with equal bends on each end, approximately 6 inch diameter bends in 1 inch tubing. Arms of the same tubing going forward to attach to spuds welded to the frame, so it can be removed if necessary. In the curved end, a section of plate with the dome end of a gas cylinder welded in on the front/body side, and the flat plate then giving a nice surface to mount a 1950 (I think that's the year???) Pontiac taillight assembly. Keeps from having to screw them to theturtle deck and running a ground wire, as the light and bumper would be grounded to the chassis. It also gives the same vibe as that front crossmember/bumper you can see in the picture. The only reason its not done yet is I don't know how wide the turtle deck is, and I don't have the Pontiac taillights...

Today the design, tomorrow the fabrication, well Saturday, tomorrow is all day hospital visit for Maggie's routine MRI visit. We really love those days, starting out at 9:30 in neurology, going to radiology for the MRI, back to neurology, and finally to see her neuro-oncologist after lunch. We usually get out of there around 4 pm after starting the day at o-god thirty. After 20 years we've gotten used to it, and know a lot of the people by first name... and them us.

Well. that's all for today.

Comment

Fingers crossed for Maggie. I was so lucky with my cancer treatment - 3 years out and it's like it never happened. Hope Maggie can get to that point.

Dan

Comment

Was in for my late lunch and checked on your post.
          First, I love your thinking, Years Ago I had a For Fun Car Rally with my Rusty Iron Junkie Friends.
          It was Called The;
          MAD MOTOR MARATHON !!
          Rules: ANY Vehicle
          . in ANY Condition
          . 20 years and Older That can Hold 55 MPH
          . FOR OVER 100 miles can enter !!
          And a assortment of Treasured Trophies;
          . Lost and Found (before GPS)
          Most Original Rust aka The Rusty Bucket Award
          . Just Tough Luck
          . Etc
          Once we even had a Scavenger Hunt in a Junk Yard stop.
          I might have to get that back together again.
          Next,
          Look at some Big Daddy Ed Roth's cars on how he added right and left air intakes to get things to fit (hide).
          My minds eye way exceeds my pension checks!
          But being Krazy is Free !!
          ​​​​​​
          ​​​​​

Comment

Captain, I like the way you think!,,,

Dan and I used to get into these weird states of mind where our bench racing discussions had taken a ride thru the Twilight Zone. Something tells me you would fit right into one of those types of bench racing discussions.

So an aside, nothing to worry about Dan. Maggie is getting to be an old hand at that MRI thing. Like the last 20 years (yes its been just about 20 years since Maggie was first diagnosted with the brain tumor) they will continue watching it, 6 months we get to do this all over again.

So back to ruminating. Yes I can see in my mind's eye some of Roth's use of air scoops to hide something that needs to be unseen. I'll take a couple of pictures of the front, and post them. If anyone can draw worth a rat's pituty, and wants to assist my warped mind, I would appreciate the suggestions. One question: How do I post a picture that anyone can get to in some way, shape, or form to alter?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
              Captain, I like the way you think!,,,
              . One question: How do I post a picture that anyone can get to in some way, shape, or form to alter?
              Hopefully the guys can fill in this blank. I've seen pics reposted with lines and arrows so I know it's been done but I don't know the process.

Dan

Comment

Anyone can post a pic (upload) and anybody can copy a pic (download). To edit a pic, you would need to use a photo application, save it with a new filename, then post it up for the next go-around.

Comment

Here's an example done with 3 pics from page 1 and five-minutes with the Windows Paint program.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Dave Racer Edit.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1288955

Comment

That picture just goes to show... What I don't know, but it shows it!

They say I'm butt ugly and this proves it, altho it would insult any self respecting butt!

Thanks for the how to. I am slowly learning how to do these computer thingies, thanks to guys like you all who have taken the time to explain in simple words. I can explain mechanical engineering principles, as I have 35 yearsof being one, and Dan and I were awarded Bronze Medals years ago at EPA for a mentoring program where we got about 20 of our young colleagues up to speed on engine design theory and practical considerations, things we thought they should know as they were/are regulating the auto industry. Of everything I worked on during my time there, I feel this is the one area where we had a lasting impact. During my years at NYSDEC I had many occasion to review and comment on EPA proposed regulations, and as those young engineers advanced through the ranks and transitioned from being the people who did the grunt work to directing the scope of rulemaking,I could see a change in the way they approached those packages. Dan and I frequently stressed thinking for themselves, and not blindly doing what they were told to do and say. This has led to more reasoned rules, with less conflict with the industry.

I say we dun gud, Dan!

And that's all I'm going to say about that!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                      That picture just goes to show... What I don't know, but it shows it!

They say I'm butt ugly and this proves it, altho it would insult any self respecting butt!

Thanks for the how to. I am slowly learning how to do these computer thingies, thanks to guys like you all who have taken the time to explain in simple words. I can explain mechanical engineering principles, as I have 35 yearsof being one, and Dan and I were awarded Bronze Medals years ago at EPA for a mentoring program where we got about 20 of our young colleagues up to speed on engine design theory and practical considerations, things we thought they should know as they were/are regulating the auto industry. Of everything I worked on during my time there, I feel this is the one area where we had a lasting impact. During my years at NYSDEC I had many occasion to review and comment on EPA proposed regulations, and as those young engineers advanced through the ranks and transitioned from being the people who did the grunt work to directing the scope of rulemaking,I could see a change in the way they approached those packages. Dan and I frequently stressed thinking for themselves, and not blindly doing what they were told to do and say. This has led to more reasoned rules, with less conflict with the industry.

I say we dun gud, Dan!

And that's all I'm going to say about that!
                      Hope you're right! And I know we tried and those younguns came to see that much of what they learned in engineering school was beside the point. I eventually came to embrace my position as "crusty old technician".

Dan

Comment

1st off it's Rusty old Technician. 2nd I'm this close to ordering a t-bucket body and turtle deck for the project. I'm still agonizing over shipping, in particular how is a tractor going to get to my house at the end of a little cul-de-sac. There is a truck stop 1/2 mile from home right off the Northway, and I have a trailer, but it's burried in a foot of snow right now. We have had snow on the ground this year since Thanksgiving, and of course the trailer is behind the shed, and there's no good way to get it out until the snow is gone. Andback there doesn't see sun this time of year for much of the day. So you can see why I am procrastinating...

So instead, I have dreampt up the rear bumper/nerf bar/tail light setup. So a question for someone who has 1950 Pontiac round tail lights: What is the diameter of the chrome base?

My idea is to use the nerf bar kit from Speedway (I'm cheap, buying a set of 1 inch dies for my bender is way too expensive compared to buying the kit for a one off deal). Then assuming the diameters work out a flat plate to mount the lights to, backed up with the round ends of gas cylinder caps for housings. Then the wires can be run inside the tubing keeping it all hidden.

So anyone who has 1950 Pontiac tail lights,what's the max diameter?

Comment

I used to be a crusty old technician. Now I truly am a rusty old technician.

Dan

Comment

Today back in the garage, making rod end spacers. Why you ask? I'm 1/2 Scotts, and we're thrifty. Why buy when you have time and (sort of) the tools to make things. So first, some of you may have experience with this type of lathe (my condolences if you do...). It was marketed by Sears. It's a 6 inch swing lathe I inherited from a great uncle about 20 years ago. It's one of my newer machines!

Name:	DSCN1114.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1289863 Starting with a short section of 3/4 inch heavy wall tube from the short bin (some would say the scrap bin), drill it to 1/2id. Then chamfer one end to match the rod end, and cut to length. Easy, right? Well with a good lathe done in 10-15 minutes. With this lathe, double at a minimum. But hey my time is free these days...

Name:	DSCN1115.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1289864 And there you have it 20 to 30 minutes worth of free entertainment.

If you think that machine is old, post WW2 pre-1950, then look at this thing. Sunnen bushing grinder from 1928,from an old mechanic in my home town. He bought it new in 28. Retired around 1970, and gave it to a friend of mine who ran a gas station just up the hill from him, and at the bottom of the hill from where I grew up. I rescued it in 1975 when Sam was taking it to the dump as he 1-didn't know how to use it, and 2-didn't want it taking up space in the back bay.

Name:	DSCN1117.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1289865 I use it to hone king pin bushings and when I make an axle, the king pin boss after welding it in.
                            My shop is full of old shit, especially when I'm in it. I do have something new:

Name:	DSCN1118.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1289866 I could not justify a metal cutting free standing band saw, cost or space. This however is perfect for my needs. It's a Milwaukee Porta Band and a Swag table for it. Light, easy to set up, and less than a third the cost of even the cheapest new band saw. And I can take it out of the table for long cutoffs.

And last, I got this the last time at the welding supply house. I haven't used it yet, and don't even know if/when it will ever be just the tool to use, but come on right? I had to buy it... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1116.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	985.6 KB
ID:	1289867 More later...

Comment

I don't know, is it just me, or does everyone feel like some kind of milestone has been reached when it rolls outside for the first time? Oh crap the tablet's not seeing the camera's files today. More in a few when I figure out what went wrong...

Please stand by, we are experiencing old fart difficulties...

Comment

Computers, I hate them!

So as I was saying 1st roll out today to get some perspective shots: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1123.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	911.1 KB
ID:	1289971

Another view: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1126.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1289972 Now imagine it with a t-bucket and turtle deck...

Had to work on air compressor stuff otherwise, so no new parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X