Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Woo hoo! A BIG BOX showed up today! Header time...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Is there a chunk missing on the left hand side of that water port?
    No! Thank god! You scared me and I had to run out to the garage and check! Just a bad picture. That's on me...

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Is there a chunk missing on the left hand side of that water port?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Hoo boy, messed with the 1st header kit. 1st put the sparkplug wires back on. Kind of important to allow clearance for them to the wires. Need to get exhaust pipe for the tailpipes as well. I want them equal and parallel to the frame. So 3-D Tetris time.

And of course I had to go down another rabbit hole as well. I wanted to verify the provenance of the 283. The casting numbers on the back of the block are correct for a 58 283. So next was to checkout the stamped numbers up front.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20230808_193028.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1340868 Here's a picture of the number, T6IOD. TONAWANDA, the date and it had a Poweglide. All checks out with the car it came out of. And now I know everything I need to know about it. And relatively clean to boot. Should be able to start it up soon

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Ooo, I love it when it's Christmas in August! 2 of the 3boxes of goodies arrived today. A flywheel and bolts, an extended pilot bushing, and 1 of the 2 header kits. Now I have to get out in the garage and do something...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Hoo boy did I spend a lot last night. Billet flywheel (SFI rated), extended pilot bushing because of the engine plate/firewall sandwich assembly, new ARP flywheel bolts, and 2 different types of header kits. Middle of next week delivery so I've got a few days to put the front suspension back on. Then it's on to finishing up on the fabrication of engine stuff. Good thing small blocks are essentially the same from 55 thru today's crate engines.

1 thing I haven't checked out yet is if the 283 has the bolt holes for a block mounted starter. If not, no big deal. I'll just have to make a drilling fixture copied from the 327 block and drill and tap 2 holes. I'm going to use a Tilton mini starter because I have a couple essentially new ones. So maybe 1 of these days I'll do something picture worthy again and have some real news...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Yes I DO Remember Snow Machine Racing !!
    I still have my First Snow Machine....
    A1972 Massey Ferguson SkiWhiz 440 twin !
    ​​​
    And By the the way,......
    Those Single Big Tillotson Carbs were Nick Named...
    "Sack Suckers".....
    Around here, it was nut busters, but essentially the same...
    My first sled, a 68 Skidoo 320 SS, had a nd cast aluminum ram horn. Ouch! By January 69 it was replaced by the rubber horns that became available.

The most fun sled was my 71 Blizzard Elan with a 292 Rotax free air Blizzard engine. That little beast was fast for its era, in a straight line. Oh shit for stopping or turning. The best sled was the last one, a 73 Skidoo TNT Free Air 340 twin. Good for about 85 mph, which was fast in those days. It wouldn't even be able to keep up with the mildest of today's trail sleds. I won't get on one, they scare me, and I know I'd want to see how fast whatever I was on would go. I doubt if I would survive it...

Stopped riding when I started racing dirt cars. Couldn't afford both! And a street vehicle. It also curtailed my mass consumption of libations, well until I allowed entry into the race car barn based on 6-packs.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Yes I DO Remember Snow Machine Racing !!
    I still have my First Snow Machine....
    A1972 Massey Ferguson SkiWhiz 440 twin !
    ​​​
    And By the the way,......
    Those Single Big Tillotson Carbs were Nick Named...
    "Sack Suckers".....

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Yes Sir .......
    Its like giving a Operator a can of Starting Fluid in Sub Freezing Temps to start his dozer.......
    A little bit is Good......
    A half a Can Has To Be Better !!
    Did you ever...

No, never!

Then why's your eyebrows missing?

You remember snowmobiles where the engine was between your legs? And if it was something like a Skidoo Blizzard with a 292 or 340 single with the Tillotson HD carburetor pointing right at the family jewels? And did you race it on methanol with some Castrol Nitroblend? And did you have the head machined for ridiculously high compression? And did you ever hole a piston? And laugh all the way home because you won on your stock class machine about $200? And did you think about what it was going to cost to replace all of the broken stuff in that Blizzard engine? And when you got to the local tavern drink 2 or 3 beers? And then, and only then, realized that you had a great time even if it ended up costing $600-700?

Yup same idea...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Yes Sir .......
    Its like giving a Operator a can of Starting Fluid in Sub Freezing Temps to start his dozer.......
    A little bit is Good......
    A half a Can Has To Be Better !!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    A stock 283 Longblock should put out some good numbers with a cam and heads, or did I miss something?
    You have to understand, with Dan and myself, a job worth doing, is worth overdoing! So taken to the limit, it means some is good, more is better, and too much still doesn't work

It's future is bright, with future use being in Sonny, and probably with some form of double hump heads, a roller cam, a bump in compression (maybe enough to warrant methanol) and Hilborns. Throw in some good rods and a magneto and you have an engine that should rev to the moon and back. By then the Whatever project will have a 327 based stroker, built for low and midrange torque without giving up too much on the upper end. But this one needs to be streetable on pump fuel.

BTW, I refuse to call the stuff at pumps gasoline. It's not that good old time fluid we were lucky to have. It's motor fuel... oh man flashbacks to where I worked when I met Dan. Never mind

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    A stock 283 Longblock should put out some good numbers with a cam and heads, or did I miss something?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Just put the 283 on a storage stand waiting for stuff. More I tinker with it the more I believe it's a unicorn engine. I don't think it's ever been opened up. Oh boy it's going to be a fun subproject...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I've never used tri-Ys but the concept is interesting.
    Sposedly better for low and midrange torque without too much loss at the upper rpm range. Hey it's a little 283 with a 2GC 2-bubbler. It needs all the torque help it can get... of course once the 327 (or maybe larger) gets built, I might have to rethink that...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I've never used tri-Ys but the concept is interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X