X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

The exhaust angle will help keep the front wheels planted under acceleration
    That's IT!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    ... I can claim some obscure theorem that shows how much more power they will make at that angle! ...
    The exhaust angle will help keep the front wheels planted under acceleration

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    I was thinking if there is space, a spacer would be easier than building new headers.

I have never built headers you might be available to re square the exhaust ports and get them a few degrees down.

Third option. Only the lawn chair crowd will notice. I don't think anyone will notice at 55+ mph. Do we really care what the lawn chair crowd thinks?
    I like your thinking! Besides there's no way to tilt the engine. The firewall is perpendicular to the frame, the engine plates assembly sandwiches the firewall, and the internal support structure holds it all rigid. So having gotten a good nights sleep on it, I'm going to be positive and say that it's the way I intended the headers to hang. Besides I can claim some obscure theorem that shows how much more power they will make at that angle!

I didn't work in research for 35 years without learning how to bs, after all

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    I was thinking if there is space, a spacer would be easier than building new headers.

I have never built headers you might be available to re square the exhaust ports and get them a few degrees down.

Third option. Only the lawn chair crowd will notice. I don't think anyone will notice at 55+ mph. Do we really care what the lawn chair crowd thinks?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Tilt the back of the engine down a tad?? Or the front up?
    That's what I was typing while you were posting. Great minds think alike. What's our excuse?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

What happens when the get the weight of the muffs and side pipes in place? Seems like they'll droop some.
    Probably a tiny bit. But this was gnawing at my mind all evening. So I pulled out a couple of books about modifieds, and pictures I took years ago. And looked at the headers with great interest. But then I realized what the issue is. Remember that I said I set the engine level with the frame? I.e. there's no tilt to the engine. Look at the normal orientation of an engine and we see a 3 to 5 degree tilt, nose up. Those headers would be parallel to the frame if I had done that. You can see it better in current sprint cars, where the engine plate tilts back at the top about that same amount.

So everything points to me messing up when I set the engine square to the frame, which btw, also squares it to the firewall. So the carburetor will tilt forward and that set of headers will rise in the back.

Tomorrow I'm starting on the tri-Y headers and since those are going to be completely different, there's no problem with the engine angle... I hope

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Tilt the back of the engine down a tad?? Or the front up?
    Last edited by Russell; October 12, 2023, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

What happens when the get the weight of the muffs and side pipes in place? Seems like they'll droop some.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Wow, what a fight! I got the upper hand however, and victory is mine! is he losing it or what?

Okay so today I got the left side header tacked enough to pull off and make sure that it's not going to move when I finish welding it up. Cleaned up the garage after that, and rolled the Whatever project outside for some perspective pictures.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.7 KB ID:	1343676
    From the front with the nose on. Looks okay to me.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1856.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.0 KB ID:	1343677
    3/4 rear perspective, and I don't like the angle of the tubes! They slope up towards the rear instead running parallel to the frame.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN1852.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	1343678
    Crap! Right side also! I'm not going to cut them apart. I'll see if I can figure out how to get them level with the frame. It's just steel, maybe a little heat and a judicious application of force.

Or I guess I'll have to take them apart again and see why they don't sit right...

Of course I also have stuff to make tri-Y headers. Maybe it's time to get back to the garage and make them...
    Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; October 12, 2023, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    I'll get valve covers dragged out and photographed then shoot you a PM. It looks like the site is making things rough from here again so we'll see what happens.
    Thanks. I'll be waiting with baited breath, fishy...

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    I'll get valve covers dragged out and photographed then shoot you a PM. It looks like the site is making things rough from here again so we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Loren; October 12, 2023, 08:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Success! Got the headers to hang properly! Pictures first...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20231011_182943.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1343629 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231011_183007.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1343630 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231011_182917.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1343631
    Top picture, from the front. The right side header fought me tooth flywheel and nail. I'd pull one part together and somewhere else would move out of position. Did that for the better part of an hour. Serendipity struck however, as I got a wicked cramp in my left leg hamstring. It was all I could do to stand up and get it to release. In the struggle, I ended up in a position where I got a different view of the header. And I saw that the third tube back was a bit too long.

So break a tack weld, pull the tube out, and cut a little bit off. Refit, and see that it needed a tad more. Repeat. A half inch did it. Then the 4 tubes sat on the correct plane and were square to the frame. Tacked it as solid as possible and pulled it off and to the bench for a few more welds. Still not finished but it won't move around now. On to the left side.

I took all of the clamps, props, wedges and other stuff holding it together. Flexed it around, put the same blocking I used on the right side under it, and checked the angles. Within 2 tenths of a degree side to side. Put the chain grips on to make sure that it's not going to move, and a few more welds. Tomorrow I'll get more welding done on it so it'll stay put.

I've got to get some 3 inch exhaust pipe for the extensions and a couple of inexpensive glasspacks for the cores and I should be able to make a muffler insert that will make it somewhat civil. 2 turndowns and I have an exhaust system!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Definitely the cat's fault. They hate headers.
    ~18 or so years old. Set in her ways. Gets special food and the occasional treat of turkey or ground beef. But we haven't spoiled her. No, not at all! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1632.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	1343568 Here's her favorite spot

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

If you have a set and want to divest yourself of them, I'm interested in procuring same. Those cheap looking chrome aftermarket pos covers just ain't makin' it. So like Drew Carey says, "let's make a deal".
    Thanks...

So far today I've made 0.000 progress on the headers. I'm blaming it on the cat...

Name:	IMG_0822 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1343530
    Who, me?
    Definitely the cat's fault. They hate headers.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

If you were going to use them I think I have a set.
    If you have a set and want to divest yourself of them, I'm interested in procuring same. Those cheap looking chrome aftermarket pos covers just ain't makin' it. So like Drew Carey says, "let's make a deal".
    Thanks...

So far today I've made 0.000 progress on the headers. I'm blaming it on the cat...

Name:	IMG_0822 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1343530
    Who, me?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X