X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Definitely the cat's fault. They hate headers.
    ~18 or so years old. Set in her ways. Gets special food and the occasional treat of turkey or ground beef. But we haven't spoiled her. No, not at all! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1632.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	1343568 Here's her favorite spot

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

If you have a set and want to divest yourself of them, I'm interested in procuring same. Those cheap looking chrome aftermarket pos covers just ain't makin' it. So like Drew Carey says, "let's make a deal".
    Thanks...

So far today I've made 0.000 progress on the headers. I'm blaming it on the cat...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1343530
    Who, me?
    Definitely the cat's fault. They hate headers.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

If you were going to use them I think I have a set.
    If you have a set and want to divest yourself of them, I'm interested in procuring same. Those cheap looking chrome aftermarket pos covers just ain't makin' it. So like Drew Carey says, "let's make a deal".
    Thanks...

So far today I've made 0.000 progress on the headers. I'm blaming it on the cat...

Name:	IMG_0822 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	1343530
    Who, me?

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

The next swap meet I get to I'll be looking for Chevy stamped steel covers in decent shape with the offset holes. I just can't pretend it's a Corvette engine...
    If you were going to use them I think I have a set.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Dan, where are you when I need a plumber? Piping is your thing. Weebles wobble, but they won't flush down...

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of the feeble attempts to make headers. I got both sides sort of hung, but they didn't look right. However, I noticed that the lower frame tubes looked like a 2x4 or something else might be just right to rest the lower 2 header tubes on to get them square and parallel to the frame rails. A section of 1.5x2 box section tubing was the correct answer. So break a couple of tack welds, flex a couple around, and viola! The right side is hanging correctly. So tomorrow when the back allows, I'll do the same thing for the left side. Then cut the tubes to the same length at the collector end, and weld the center closure in. I'm going to leave the collectors off for now, as I want to get a section of 3 inch exhaust pipe for the extensions, and 2 turndowns. I'm going to make muffler inserts from a pair of glasspacks, and have to figure out the best way to be able to remove andreplace them. Got some ideas, am open to suggestions.

We now return you to a normal project writeup...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Pipular, you could say... well I would, cause I just did! Beat Dan to the punch...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Groovy !!

Totally "Tubular"
    Last edited by Captain; October 5, 2023, 08:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Garage time today was a good effort. I got the left side header mocked up and bolted to the engine. 1st, take a look at the round to square helper. Not as fancy as the one in the video, but it works and only took some time to make.

Name:	20231004_213559.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1343274
    Take a hammer, tap it into the ends of the pipes and then hammer to shape. I needed to rotate 2 of the squares after I formed them to get the tubes to hang properly. Put the mandrel back into the pipe and twist on it in the direction that it needs to rotate, and hammer as necessary.

Name:	DSCN1842.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	1343275 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231004_213525.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1343276 Click image for larger version

Name:	20231004_213453.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	1343277
    Here's the mock up. I'm questioning the angle of the pipes coming out of the engine. They angle down from the flange. However the vertical portion of the tubes appears to be pretty much plumb. The collector is only stuck on the end to see what clearance issues I'll have to deal with. I'm probably not going to be able to run the extension all of the way to the back of the car. Not enough clearance around the axle. So a bit of an extension with a muffler insert, and potentially a turn down/out, and that's the exhaust.

Now if I can figure out how to make the right side match...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Made a squarish mandrel today. Not as fancy as the one in the video, but effective, quick and cheap. Used some railroad spikes to make it from. Tap it into the ends of the pipes and then hammer to shape the rounded corners. Need to get some big hose clamps to hold the tubes in the proper position while I bolt the header assembly to the engine. Then I can align the tubes and get everything squared up for tacking. I'll do more tomorrow and get some pictures of the progress.

And I still have some fettling to do with the tubes on the injectors. But it's just details. Wanted to get back to the Whatever project before I forgot what I have learned making the ram tubes.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

I know I've seen starter pipes for SBC headers with the rectangular-to-round shapes pre-formed. No longer available? Or too pricey?
    Probably still available. But 1 more seam to weld... I'm being lazy

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-press-forming-tube-for-exhaust-flange.300284/[/URL]

[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    I was able to find this idea....: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/tool-for-forming-round-to-square-header-tubing.151625/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-press-forming-tube-for-exhaust-flange.300284/

Last edited by silver_bullet; October 1, 2023, 02:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Rats! Can't get away with anything anymore...

Started on the 1st set of headers, the sprint car style kit. Round tubes into squarish holes Speedway? But I have learned a lot about moving exhaust pipe steel in the "Case of the Flanged Ram Tubes". See that wasn't wasted effort after all .

Now the good things about the header kit is it's made with 16 gauge exhaust pipe and the flanges are 5/16 or 3/8 inch thick steel plate laser cut very precisely. The tubes are mandrel bent and very well shaped. I'm thinking that I should make a die setup for my floor press, that once I get the flats started on the tubes, they can be put in the setup, and then squeezed into shape. Or I'll just continue beating the snot out of them...
    I know I've seen starter pipes for SBC headers with the rectangular-to-round shapes pre-formed. No longer available? Or too pricey?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

And Scotch Shortbread. I know your secrets!
    Rats! Can't get away with anything anymore...

Started on the 1st set of headers, the sprint car style kit. Round tubes into squarish holes Speedway? But I have learned a lot about moving exhaust pipe steel in the "Case of the Flanged Ram Tubes". See that wasn't wasted effort after all .

Now the good things about the header kit is it's made with 16 gauge exhaust pipe and the flanges are 5/16 or 3/8 inch thick steel plate laser cut very precisely. The tubes are mandrel bent and very well shaped. I'm thinking that I should make a die setup for my floor press, that once I get the flats started on the tubes, they can be put in the setup, and then squeezed into shape. Or I'll just continue beating the snot out of them...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Can you relable to good carbs, better carbs? I'm of Italian heritage and really like those cookies...

As for the Whatever project and potential induction, I'm partial to Hilborns. But you probably already guessed that
    And Scotch Shortbread. I know your secrets!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X