Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    cstmwgn has it right. I have the Fusor system too and it works great on dissimilar materials. The gun is a bit pricey but then it IS a tool. As long as everything is clean bond away - but it is NOT coming back off once set. This is the same stuff the manufacturers are gluing cars together with these days and Fusor and others are approved for body shop repairs on these glued-together cars.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I'm not against a permanent bond between the nose and its support hoop. The hoop unbolts from the frame and needs to be out of the way to get to the radiator for its removal. What is a brand of panel bonding agent that will work with the dissimilar materials? Is it like an epoxy or does it need some sort of caulking gun like device?
    Dan (or your local auto body/paint supply shop) would be much better at advising on a particular mix. I have used the Lord Fusor products in the past on fiberglass / plastic. Yes most will require some sort of application gun. The stuff I used is a two chambered product with a mixing tip that insure proper mixing of the two parts. Downside - buy a bunch of tips as most of this stuff is quick dry and the mixing tips are junk in short order.
    Last edited by cstmwgn; June 25, 2023, 04:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    While I should shut up and let those that know - tell you BUT that wouldn't be me! Its my understanding that the panel bonding stuff is PERMANENT! If that is OK with your build plans then I think it would be a good option to leave an absolute smooth surface on the outside.
    I'm not against a permanent bond between the nose and its support hoop. The hoop unbolts from the frame and needs to be out of the way to get to the radiator for its removal. What is a brand of panel bonding agent that will work with the dissimilar materials? Is it like an epoxy or does it need some sort of caulking gun like device?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    Turn-lock fasteners ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	turnlock-fasteners-edited.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1338686
    These might be useful for the hood and side panels. But not the nose to the support hoop. They would stick up too high. Can you tell me who, what and where? I.e. where can I get them? I like the looks as they are different from the normal Dzus buttons.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    While I should shut up and let those that know - tell you BUT that wouldn't be me! Its my understanding that the panel bonding stuff is PERMANENT! If that is OK with your build plans then I think it would be a good option to leave an absolute smooth surface on the outside.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    Turn-lock fasteners ?

Name:	turnlock-fasteners-edited.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1338686

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Okay so I have to attach the fiberglass nose to the steel hoop in yesterday's post. And whatever I use will be in the recessed flange area of the nose. So the problem with that is that the hood and side panels I'm planning on will be sitting on the heads of whatever fasteners get used. I'm thinking that I can use flat head screws, but I'm concerned about the screws pulling thru.

Here's the question for everyone: what about some sort of glue? I'm not using the correct term probably, so some sort of adhesive or bonding agent? It's awfully close to the radiator, so there's bound to be thermal issues. I'mlooking for recommendations on what will work.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well, the old back is playing nice right now. Got out to the garage and made the back support for the nose today. And in true whatever style, it started out one way, and ended up another. And it only took a cut on each of the first bracket attempts to get to the second and final version. Here's a couple of pictures of the progress today...

Name:	DSCN1772.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1338648

Name:	DSCN1773.jpg
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1338649

Name:	DSCN1774.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	1338650 Yeah I know, big nothing burger...
    But it's more than I have done for the rest of the week!

In the first picture is the hoop that supports the back edge of the nose. The angle bracket lower right side of the last picture is the support for the front of the nose. I'm going to make a small bracket that will connect the hoop to the radiator stay bracket. This will tie the whole assembly together and keep the radiator and nose from wearing on each other. That's for another day...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well, the old back is acting up again. Only thing accomplished since the last post is to cut out some cad bracket templates for mounting the nose. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to make the actual brackets. I'm going to integrate the radiator and nose bracketry to simplify the overall design.

What I have envisioned is a system that ties the radiator side support brackets that are part of the fabrication into the support hoop for the nose. It will also tie into an upper crossmember just behind the radiator.

Now if I just feel like tinkering in the garage tomorrow...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Don't ask me how I got that last picture larger, it's FM

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So work continues on the radiator crossmember. It's fabricated and tacked into place. It fits inside the nose and once finished the 2 should be rock solid. Here's some pictures of the progress today.

Name:	20230613_192200.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1338300

Name:	20230613_192236.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1338299

Name:	20230612_192959.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1338296

Name:	20230613_192553.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1338295 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230613_192404.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1338297

Name:	20230613_192321.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1338298

I'm not going to describe the radiator support structure, it's just steel shaped to hold it up.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
    or section/weld them into trans crossmember
    as exhaust tunnels to run pipes through?
    I've already figured out how to run the exhaust system. Besides it's going to be 3 inch diameter tube. That tubing fits inside the 3 inch side of the frame rails, soit wouldn't fit. But good idea for another project, a small car maybe? Mini sized? Can you tell what I'm referring to? But that's a ways in the future.

Leave a comment:

• fatguyzinc
    replied
    or section/weld them into trans crossmember
    as exhaust tunnels to run pipes through?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Holy crap! A genius suggestion! A little grinding, slicing and welding, and viola we got cup holders!

Gonna have to do it. Just because...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Cup Holders !! Click image for larger version

Name:	20230608_180110.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1338279

Leave a comment:

Working...
X