X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

At least he's not an electrical engineer. Dan and I worked with a couple of electrical engineers back in Ann Arbor. And what I remember the most about both was just how unorganized they were! Stuff randomly stacked on benches, tables, chairs, desks, any horizontal surface that was close by. Oh, and they believed in the square root of negative one! i, the symbol for imaginary numbers. And we wonder why all things computer do whatever it wants to, regardless of what you want it to do...
    I identify as unorganized! Lol.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So today I got a lead for a company that does dry ice blasting. From a guy in California! Best part is, the company is only 44 miles north of me. Easy under an hour drive. And they might be able to come here. And if so, I'm going to see about having them clean up the 283 as well.

That's a phone call for Monday...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

His (Russell) posts seem very civil - unlike others on here!
    At least he's not an electrical engineer. Dan and I worked with a couple of electrical engineers back in Ann Arbor. And what I remember the most about both was just how unorganized they were! Stuff randomly stacked on benches, tables, chairs, desks, any horizontal surface that was close by. Oh, and they believed in the square root of negative one! i, the symbol for imaginary numbers. And we wonder why all things computer do whatever it wants to, regardless of what you want it to do...

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dave - If we can get you this way we'll need to connect with Russell. He's one of the good guys in this world. Silly Engineer. (Russell - Dave knows that as "Civil")
    His (Russell) posts seem very civil - unlike others on here!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    All of my T5s have been world class so I can't recommend a fluid. I believe the original was 50w gear oil? I have heard all kinds of things. I have heard 30w motor oil? I like to put a bottle of Lucas ATF fix in mine they seem to shift better.

So maybe a little gear oil engine oil mix or maybe some Lucas oil stabilizer? I guess what I am trying to say is don't be afraid to test different fluids or combs.
    ​​​​.
    Dave - If we can get you this way we'll need to connect with Russell. He's one of the good guys in this world. Silly Engineer. (Russell - Dave knows that as "Civil")

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    All of my T5s have been world class so I can't recommend a fluid. I believe the original was 50w gear oil? I have heard all kinds of things. I have heard 30w motor oil? I like to put a bottle of Lucas ATF fix in mine they seem to shift better.

So maybe a little gear oil engine oil mix or maybe some Lucas oil stabilizer? I guess what I am trying to say is don't be afraid to test different fluids or combs.
    ​​​​.
    Supposedly GL3 or GL4. I found GL3 Valvoline. Has something to do with the brass synchro rings being damaged with anything with a higher detergent content. I'm still looking into this.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied

​​​​.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Got the T5 back together today.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20240509_171624.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1353385 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240509_171603.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1353386 Ground in grime still to be removed, but it doesn't matter for now. I can get it into the Whatever project and figure out the shifter required, and a gas pedal. I've got an MGB pedal from Dan, that may be like baby bear's bed, just right. Or it may have to get an extreme makeover. TBD...

So on the bebench it goes thru the gears fine, hopefully it will be the same when under power. Just remember, if you ever take one apart that the shifter thingie inside of the housing won't slide in with the tailhousing bolted solid to the transmission. You need about 3/8 inch gap to get the damn thing on the shifter shaft. Some really sticky grease is also needed. And I just happen to have a can of the stuff. Got it with the lathe. Don't know why it was thrown in, but I'm glad it was!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Sent the mongrel T5 transmission down the road today. S10 T5 transmission with the Camaro tailhousing. Useless to me. Hopefully the guy that is getting it will be able to use it! Got a new seal and output shaft bushing to install. Have to make a mandrel to press the old bushing out and the new one in. And to that end, I made a new rocker for the tool post for the lathe today. And made a first practice turning with it. That lathe is nice and tight, no chattering. Nice smooth cut. And I have that adapter for the speedometer sensor and toothed wheel to make. Now I can!

Engine at the engine shop, transmission coming together, brakes just about there, fuel cell in, steering works, pedals functional, seats in, radiator mounted, whole bunch of the stuff mostly finished. Take it all apart for some serious welding time later. New floor to fabricate, using the aluminum diamond plate for templates. I'm starting to scare myself...

Progress! I feel like I'm moving ahead. I might get this thing finished yet...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Started working with the two T5 transmissions today. Got both disassembled as far as they need to be to do the tailhousings swap. That S10 T5 shifter location is just about perfect for the Whatever project and how I've got the seats. I have to get a shifter, sealant for them, and some new lubricant. It's a non-world class transmission, with brass synchro rings so I'll get whatever the person I have gone to at NAPA for the past 26 years recommends. She's been there so long, she doesn't have to use the computer or the old parts books to know the right part numbers.

So here's a few pictures of the insides of the 2 transmissions.

Name:	20240429_180123.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1352996
    inside of the S10 T5. It's a shame that it probably won't be used again. It's actually very clean and there doesn't seem to be any damage to anything inside. Too bad it's the 4.0something first gear T5 from a 4 cylinder S10. I'm going to put it back together with the Camaro tailhousing. Anybody who wants it, come and get it. Too heavy to ship...

Name:	DSCN1936.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1352997 This is the Camaro V-8 T5 transmission. It's also really clean inside. It's a non-world class transmission, but has the 2.9something first gear. And with the brass synchro rings. I'm guessing that it's been overhauled in its past. Either that, or it was driven by someone's grandma! And not on a racecourse of any sort.

Name:	DSCN1940.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1352998 See the nice gear on the output shaft? The Camaro used a mechanical speedometer, and the S10 used an electronic speedometer. There's about 1.75 inches difference where the 2 sensors are located on the tailhousings. I understand that there's different ways to adapt one to the other, given whatever you want to do for a speedometer. As I see it, I can make a thing that hooks on where the gear is on the shaft, and spaces the toothed wheel to the correct location for the S10 speed sensor. Hey, Igot a lathe now. Easy peasy...

More in the future...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Luck.
    Halfway there! T5s are on benches. And more stuff arranged in the garage...

I tell you, this spring cleaning stuff has to end. Only things left to put away are cutting and grinding supplies. Oh and there's a shelf to put back under the welding bench. Right now I'm letting my back rest and relax. The nerves in my back being damaged, I'm only good for about an hour, hour and a half, at one time. Right now I can't feel my big toes! and that affects the balance. Oh well what can I say, I should have listened to my mom all those decades ago, when she said "take care of your back"! Did I listen?

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Luck.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So I've sourced all of the required stuff to make the T10 transmission work again. Just have to break open the old wallet, and get the parts on order. But first I'm going to take a look inside of the 2 T5 transmissions to see what they may need. I found a good video of swapping out the tailhousings between the two T5 transmissions. So all that requires is a little bit of workbench space.

To that end, I FINALLY got a round tuit and sorted and binned a huge pile of nuts, bolts, washers, and various bits and bobs that I had put off sorting. So now both of the portable welding benches are clear. Tomorrow, yes I said tomorrow, assuming that the creek don't rise (not likely, but you never know), I'll get the engine hoist in the garage and get them on the benches, one on each. Interestingly, there's no gaskets just silicone sealant, so if I find nothing wrong with the V-8 T5, I'll swap out the necessary parts and get them back together.

Wish me luck...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Pictures of the modifications done to the T10 transmission gears.

Name:	20240423_175131.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1352782 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240423_175330.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1352783 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240423_175213.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	1352784 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240423_175251.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1352785
    The 3 with welds are out. So too, the sliders. 2 out of every 3 splines/teeth have been removed. And I have no idea how it was done. Not ground out, no machine tool marks, so I'm guessing someone had access to EDM, OR they were made that way. No big deal, I'd just like to know.

And there you have it, why free parts are never cheap!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X