No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That front view reminds me of an old Indy car .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

So last time I was working on air compressor stuff. I now have 2 Harbor Fright 2 gallon ultra quiet portable compressors and an aluminum 7 gallon protable tank. I have changed a lot of fittings around and have connected the 2 compressors to the tank. A couple of days ago I got a new relief valve for safety sake, to add to the tank, and finally got it all working. I set 1 compressor to 100 psi on its regulator, and the 2nd one to about 110 psi. This keeps the 2 of them from turning on at the same time. I know it sounds weird, but it works. Anyway, with both connected the system operates at 110 psi, and runs the tubing bender just like a real shop type air system. I'll post a pic or 2 next time as I didn't take any today, and its 10 pm EDT right now.

The other stuff I've been doing is making rod end spacers. As I showed before, my equipment is aged and slow. So as my body doesn't like working for more than an hour or 2 at a time right now, its a good use of my time.

I haven't ordered a body yet, as I have been exploring options. It seems the frame is the right length for an American Bantam body. That could be an interesting body, and also a little roomier, something I think we all will agree is nice when we age...

The other option I keep toying with is to get some Model A quarter panels. I don't know if anyone has looked at a car assembled by a Greg Lazzerini, and I still don't know how to get links to work here, but google his name and roadster together, and you will find an interesting car. He acquired a 50's built chassis that appears to have been destined for west coast road racing that never got a body. He had a pair of spare Deuce quarters, and made a pretty slick body, sort of european looking.

I'm thinking a pair of 30-31 quarters and door skins could make a similar body. Add a cowl and deck lid, and viola, and a body appears. Small od steel tubing for reinforcing/surround forming. The only thing I would like to change inthat case would be the nose. But I don't know how to do fancy metal forming so making a nose from sheetmetal is out. Well for now...

That's the latest for now.

And btw Captain, I still think we should figure out how to develop that concept we both seem to have drempt up into a race. It would be real fun...

Comment

I'm at a loss. WTF is that message #33?

Comment

Hey Dave - If you get a sec click on the Tech section and see if you have anything to add to the DEF thread. I know what I was taught but you might have some different info.

Dan

Comment

Please welcome Dave's project !

Comment

So not much to update, just tinkering and thinking, i.e. making small stuff that always goes unnoticed. More rod end spacers, some thru-frame bungs to bolt things to, another panhard bar. And cleaning up the basement mess of old magazines.

Came across this issue of HR magazine. Dan, notice the address label? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1128.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	778.1 KB
ID:	1291220 I had lost some issues during a few moves between getting married and A2. Found this copy about to be recycled. Remember when EPA allowed you guys to get some automotive magazines? And the inimitable Vince Crowel?

Anyway, it's HRM October 1981. One story is about that years running of Pikes Peak. Here's page 18. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1129.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	1291221 The sprint car center right is the same Bobby unser car shown above being run in 1981 by Bobby's son, Robby. As you can see it still has the same suspension as it had in 1959.By my counting that's 22 years old and still competetive. Robby finished 4th that year. A couple of years later with an all aluminum small block, it was still racing competetively. Yeah I think my copy of its suspension will work!

Comment

Finally ordered a body! T-bucket with turtle deck. Repairing/repainting the trailer, probably going to widen it 6 inches and put a 3500 pound rated axle with brakes under it when rebuilt. Originally designed it to be able to uprate it to that axle if needed, well the "Whatever" is heavier and wider than a real Mini, so its time...

Too many projects, so little time...

Who amI kidding, I'm retired!

Comment

Now I'm getting anxious! I feel like a kid between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know its coming, I just can't wait! Maybe later this week, maybe early next week.

So I'm getting my trailer ready to repaint, got all the yard equipment running, raked the front yard where we're putting a flower garden, got 2 1-yard bags of garden dirt to move/spread, and a bunch of other stuff to keep me from changing anything on the "Whatever" before the body gets here.

Now I'm even more anxious...

Comment

Dave,
                    Just another thought to derail your Thread here.......
                    I have Not Ignored your comments on my old Fun Run the "Mad Motor Marathon"........
                    I AM Kicking around some Ideas to Revive It, But even the old "Mostly for Rusty Iron Junkie Friends Get Together" it takes
                    MONTHS for getting a "Route", "Point of Interest Stops", "Lunch and the Trophy give away Dinner spot Big enough to handle 20+ couples
                    at Once"....etc. AND The Area of the Run !!!
                    In Reality, Late 2022 to Pull It Off in the Caliber and Quality of Past Runs...

Anyone else have Ideas, Jump in Tell me want you want.
                    I ran it for 10+ years, then friends took it over to keep it alive as My Job took me out of state for months at a Time.
                    But as more and more Charter Members were passing away, or couldn't drive anymore...it ended

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                      Dave,
                      Just another thought to derail your Thread here.......
                      I have Not Ignored your comments on my old Fun Run the "Mad Motor Marathon"........
                      I AM Kicking around some Ideas to Revive It, But even the old "Mostly for Rusty Iron Junkie Friends Get Together" it takes
                      MONTHS for getting a "Route", "Point of Interest Stops", "Lunch and the Trophy give away Dinner spot Big enough to handle 20+ couples
                      at Once"....etc. AND The Area of the Run !!!
                      In Reality, Late 2022 to Pull It Off in the Caliber and Quality of Past Runs...

Anyone else have Ideas, Jump in Tell me want you want.
                      I ran it for 10+ years, then friends took it over to keep it alive as My Job took me out of state for months at a Time.
                      But as more and more Charter Members were passing away, or couldn't drive anymore...it ended
                      That sounds like it was a blast! I currently don't have anything even remotely able to qualify under what I imagine the rules were,I only have 1 running registered vehicle a 5 year old Equinox.

Maybe I need to talk to the neighbor, he has a Jeep with inline 6, an older model late 90s early 2000s I think. Hey I'm not into Jeeps ever since they did away with the CJ5. And the F-head motor...

So what part of the country would we be attempting to pull this off in. I have a crazy nephew, ratrodde,r on that other car site. I bet he'd be up for it, with his mostly original 68 Cuda if it qualifies.

Comment

I'm looking at somewhere near Wisconsin.
                        We have run into Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, but always started in Wisconsin

Simple Rules......
                        ANY Vehicle ! (Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, etc.)
                        In ANY Condition !
                        Over 20 Years Old !
                        That can Hold Highway Speeds fro Over 100 Miles!
                        $???? Per Vehicle (Just the costs to cover setting up the run), in Advance......(PreRegistration otherwise they promise to go and I'm Holding the Bag)
                        And I try to keep it to about 25 vehicles MAX. Otherwise it becomes Too Hard to Keep Everyone Restarted at Points Of Interest, or lost.

Again, anyone have Ideas ?
                        Want to offer 30-50 people rummaging thru your shop as a Stop? (You get a Very Nice Plaque, "Mad Motor Marathon STOPPED HERE !)

Comment

So still waiting for the body to show up. Still tinkering with just a few of the little bits (I learned that one from Dan Stokes, but forgot it until I just saw his hoist update... Thanks Dan! another kink in my brain explained).

So back to the little bits. Final dimensions being worked on for the Mallory tach drive distributor base to Vertex mag adapter. The hardest part is going to be getting a little Woodruff key in the driveshaft in the right location.

And planning a panhard bar for the front. I have a rear panhard bar, and need to get the roll center heights compatible. I am building in some adjustability but need to get the geometry close. And steering is still up in the air.

Comment

Getting anxious. No body yet. Called Speedway, to get an update, I'min the que. Probably 2 more weeks, as the body is being laid up currently. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas between Thanskgiving and Christmas. The anticipation is killing me...

Anticipation, is making me wait... Carly Simon was great!

Comment

Finally got the body. Fortunately it showed up before weleft for a dr.'s appointment for Maggie. The shipping company was supposed to call 24 to 48 hours before delivery. The truck showed up at 1 pm Wednesday, dr.'s appointment was at 2 pm in town, 15 minute drive, so all was good in the end...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1137.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1293199 It's sitting 2 inches high, or so, depends on whether it gets channelled an inch or 2 over the frame. Plus the turtle deck is way too high.

But its a start

Comment

why does that always happen? I had a big delivery coming, didn't hear anything so I called. "Oh, he's waiting for you now" .... lol
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X