No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a few pictures of where it stands today.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1509.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1322675 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1510.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1322674

Name:	DSCN1512.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1322676
    These pictures show what I'm thinking that I can make for a dash. Building it out this way would give me a lot of room to mount the master cylinders above the pedals. This next picture shows how much room there could be if the original dash is cut out and a bump like the ugly wart made from cardboard and painter's tape is made from fiberglass. I picture it either hinged or completely removable for access to the master cylinders.

Name:	DSCN1511.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1322677 The master cylinders would be reversed pointing to the back. That would put the caps right at the lip of the existing dash. So now I'm waiting for the new master cylinders to get here. Maybe it's time to start on rebuilding the T10. Or a back nerf bar. Or work on some new rear suspension parts (nothing fancy, just little stuff that needs to be done). Or...

Done for today however, gonna watch NASCAR.
    Attached Files

Comment

• The blue tape clashes with the white and cardboard tan.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        The blue tape clashes with the white and cardboard tan.
        But, but, but... when you're here to paint it, you can make it look good, can't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

But, but, but... when you're here to paint it, you can make it look good, can't you?
          I s'pose.

Comment

I s'pose.
            Now if I can just get the master cylinders to fit under the lump. Oh and work. I guess I'll need to make them functional as well...

Comment

• Brand new master cylinder and I'm taking it apart! Well trying to anyway. I need to reverse the bleeders from one side to the other. Wilwood designed for this. But then the plugged side screws? have straight blade screwdriver slots. Okay so I can deal with that. But can't they at least make the slot wide enough for a normal screwdriver? And don't use Loctite!

Comment

• So far today I've talked to a Wilwood tech support person. That was no help. "I don't think they're reversible". Guess what? I got 1 plug out. It's just a setscrew with a ball bearing under it, and there's a seat just like the other side!

I love knowledgeable tech support

Pictures later... after I get the 2nd one out and reverse everything.

Comment

• And another hurdle! It's metric, m7-1 threads. Went to the local hardware store that has everything. M7-1 metric screws of any type? Only a couple of length hex bolts. Bought 3. Stopped at NAPA to see if they had anything, like bleeder screws, anything. Nope

So I have 3 screws, and a lathe. Guess with a little bit of time and effort, I'll have 2 custom made port plugs. So pictures after time on the lathe...

Comment

• Well, I finally got a round tuit and spent some time with a little lathe today. I made 3 replacement plugs for the new master cylinder to replace the ones Wilwood used. You may remember I had a little bit of trouble getting them out, due to them having straight blade screwdriver slots. Well, the new ones are made from hex head bolts. Making a couple of port plugs was a piece of cake, and as Dan will tell you cake IS easy. Pie is difficult...

Name:	DSCN1515.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1323382 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1514.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1323383 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1513.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1323384 Self explanatory. Black is the Wilwood plug, the bolt is the starting point, and the short bolt is the new plug. I would have just bought some cup point setscrews, but no such luck, they're metric. M7-1 thread. Almost impossible to find. I was lucky that the local real hardware store had a few bolts in that thread.

Finally here's the plugs in the master cylinder on the opposite side, ready to be reassembled and somehow actuated by the pedals.

Name:	DSCN1518.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1323385 Not bad, for a backyard hacker

Comment

• Wow! Are left handed tap and die sets expensive! Need to make some odd ball parts with left hand threads, ordered a set from Travers Tool, just under $300 #10 to 1/2 inch fine and coarse thread with split dies. Hopefully they'll last as long as my similar set of Ace (not the hardware store...) set, that's going on 50 years old. Yeah, I never throw stuff out. And I never let anyone borrow tools like that!

when they come back damaged .

Comment

Wow! Are left handed tap and die sets expensive! Need to make some odd ball parts with left hand threads, ordered a set from Travers Tool, just under $300 #10 to 1/2 inch fine and coarse thread with split dies. Hopefully they'll last as long as my similar set of Ace (not the hardware store...) set, that's going on 50 years old. Yeah, I never throw stuff out. And I never let anyone borrow tools like that!

when they come back damaged .
                        Cool! Now I know where to borrow LH taps and dies! Actually, I have a couple but I just bought the one I needed at the time, not a whole set.

Last edited by DanStokes; July 27, 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Cheaper by the set. I know I'm going to need a couple of different sizes before I'm done, so it'll pay off eventually. Just got to convince SWMBO about the logic...

Comment

The blue tape clashes with the white and cardboard tan.
                            Oh, and by the way, you do remember that I am color blind to the violet-blue end of the spectrum. I just reread that old post and realized that you mentioned the dark gray tape (blue to the rest of the world). It doesn't clash to me!

Comment

Oh, and by the way, you do remember that I am color blind to the violet-blue end of the spectrum. I just reread that old post and realized that you mentioned the dark gray tape (blue to the rest of the world). It doesn't clash to me!
                              Actually, I'd forgotten that. Had I remembered I would have harassed you even more!

Comment

Actually, I'd forgotten that. Had I remembered I would have harassed you even more!
                                Oh well! Doesn't matter, only fall off again anyway!

BTW, got the soulth paw tap and die set today. The die handle is nothing to write home about. Good thing I have another one that's much better quality...
                                Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; July 29, 2022, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X