The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Oh well! Doesn't matter, only fall off again anyway!

BTW, got the soulth paw tap and die set today. The die handle is nothing to write home about. Good thing I have another one that's much better quality...
    I think you'll have to use that new tap handle. Pretty sure it work in the opposite direction.

Comment

• Just remember Maggie's a south paw! Maybe I'll have to get her to thread anything left handed...

Comment

• Brother Dave and daughter Christi are lefties. Must be a recessive gene.
        Last edited by DanStokes; July 31, 2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• I am correct handed!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Maggie has adopted the phrase "left-handed people are right minded!" I don't know...

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1519.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1323908 Here's a steering wheel l made decades ago out of some leftover alclad sheet from a research project that I was involved with at the research firm I worked for in the 80's. 17 inch diameter, shaped like a vintage steering wheel l had seen. Just got it back from a friend who had it hanging on the wall in his garage office. Going to make a template from it and have a few blanks cut out by waterjet.

Still struggling with the brake and clutch master cylinder linkages. Now I have to get some small diameter tubing for pull rods. It never ends...

Comment

• Field trip to Pittsfield MA to visit Maggie's sister yesterday, and I was able to make a stop in the thriving megapolis of Albany on the way over. I had ordered some half inch od eighth inch wall dom for brake and clutch master cylinder linkages, and it was ready for pickup. Also got 60 pounds of short rack steel just because. I love it when a plan comes together like that. Eliminating a separate trip and all! Of course I got nothing done on the Whatever project otherwise.

And I'm not going to have anything to show for today or tomorrow either. It's too damn HOT and I sweat like a race horse. Because remember pigs don't sweat. So if you sweat like a pig, well then you're not sweaty

Okay so not terribly on topic, and no effort expended. I'll tinker with the Whatever a little bit but nothing newsworthy...

Comment

• I'm not getting anything done either. ME's cold caught me so I'll need to get past that before I'm up for shop time. Good news is that I feel bett5er today than yesterday and the pilot bearing showed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I'm not getting anything done either. ME's cold caught me so I'll need to get past that before I'm up for shop time. Good news is that I feel bett5er today than yesterday and the pilot bearing showed up.
                    Now you get to start the swap. Hopefully your British car project goes faster than mine. Mini 2, 21 years and counting...

Comment

Now you get to start the swap. Hopefully your British car project goes faster than mine. Mini 2, 21 years and counting...
                      They go faster if you work on them. Need an 1800 CC engine? I have such a deal!

Comment

They go faster if you work on them. Need an 1800 CC engine? I have such a deal!
                        Won't fit! B-series engine. The Mini used an A-series engine similar to the Spridget. Cranks were different, and the oil pan is where they fitted the transmission. Good packaging, bad idea. Engine and transmission sharing oil. Great way to circulate metal thru an engine...

But what do I know? They made somewhere north of 5 million of them.

Comment

Won't fit! B-series engine. The Mini used an A-series engine similar to the Spridget. Cranks were different, and the oil pan is where they fitted the transmission. Good packaging, bad idea. Engine and transmission sharing oil. Great way to circulate metal thru an engine...
                          So that's MY fault? You ought to be able to repackage that, you is an enginerd!

Comment

So that's MY fault? You ought to be able to repackage that, you is an enginerd!
                            But why? Not much larger displacement with more weight and a longer engine to try to fit between the front wheels. And not much difference in power capability. Besides I'd rather do the VTEC swap 200 easy, dependable hp, and electronics that work.

But 1st, gotta finish the Whatever project. And I'm not making much headway on the master cylinders yet! I'm still stuck on how to actuate them, and whether above the bellhousing or below the floor.

And to throw a curve ball, I've been ruminating over firewall mounting them. It's obviously strong enough the way it's made. But I'm unsure about clearance to the left side of the engine. I'm going to mock up a dummy block and a left side head, and see if they clear. To further muddy the waters, I've looked at mechanical linkage for the clutch.

See, this is what's wrong with engineers. We overthink everything! So in the meantime I tinker with small stuff that needs to be done, and feel like nothing is getting done, even tho I know those little tasks need to be done regardless of when.

Comment

• That's OK. Yer still my favorite engineer!

Comment

That's OK. Yer still my favorite engineer!
                                And I appreciate that

Comment

Working...
                                X