Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    That was supper break for SWMBO. And now for the rest of the story as Paul Harvey used to say. After reading a couple of threads on that site I mentioned above, I knew that I needed to dig into what I had bought. So out to the garage and take a look at the id plate on the lathe.And I found this: Model number, TH42. Okay so what does that mean? Back to the tablet and the internet. Look up the number and it indicates that the lathe is a 10 inch Atlas bench lathe with a 42 inch bed, not the distance between centers however. Don't forget they got to get the headstock and tailstock on the bed. More importantly, the TH indicates Timken roller bearings in the headstock. Which is good!

So what is the bottom line? I got a much better deal than I expected and when I finally get to meet the guy who sold it to me I'm going to thank him again. And now that I figured out what it really is, I'mgoing to start searching for accessories that work with the lathe. Things like a milling attachment, and a tapering attachment, amongst others. Hoo boy, more rabbit holes to go down...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Glad you're moving again. Don't overdo....
    Thanks, I'm trying. And Maggie would say I'm very trying!

Now here's some interesting tidbit of information for you guys to get a laugh out of. You know that lathe I acquired? And I have been saying that it's a 6 inch Atlas 618 bench lathe? Well, I have some new information. Yesterday while looking for parts and pieces for a 6 inch Atlas bench lathe, I stumbled upon this site, the Hobby-Machinist. I took a few minutes to look around the site, and decided to join. I know, right? What is Mongo up to? You're all asking. How is Mongo ever going to keep us informed on the misadventures with the Whatever project? How dare him?

Well, it's just like college, where there were the courses at the science end of the campus, and then there were the required courses at the other end of the campus, like psychology and history. They're like that, only you find out that that stuff is also interesting. And informative.

Like today, not even 10 hours into membership, and I find out that the lathe purchase wasn't a good deal.

What? You yell, chastising me. But wait, don't jump to conclusions. It turns out that the lathe is a larger model, and more desirable nd capable. Stupid Mongo never checked out the model number on the data plate, that is until today, when reading a thread on another newbie over there with a 618 lathe. Evidently those had 2 different spindles, both 1 inch, but different thread pitchs, 8 vs 10 tpi. And I said to myself but wait, mine has a 1.5-8 spindle. Does that mean there were actually 3 versions?

Nope! More later...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Woo hoo! Got started on the garage cleanup today! Found some "missing" parts for the new to me lathe, so I don't have to spend anything to get the change gears on it, well, hopefully the banjo on my nephew's desk is the correct one. If no, a replacement one is under $20. And I made myself throw stuff away that I know I'm never going to use.

Parts for the Whatever project also reappeared. And I found some space for the stuff, somehow! (back of hand to forehead). Now to make everything fit in. Then, I'll start fitting the V8-60 tube axle in, and possibly redo some of the rear suspension. I've been thinking about using a 2 link with a torque arm. I've got an idea for the front of the arm to articulate it so no binds and controlled rear steer. More soon...
    Glad you're moving again. Don't overdo....

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Woo hoo! Got started on the garage cleanup today! Found some "missing" parts for the new to me lathe, so I don't have to spend anything to get the change gears on it, well, hopefully the banjo on my nephew's desk is the correct one. If no, a replacement one is under $20. And I made myself throw stuff away that I know I'm never going to use.

Parts for the Whatever project also reappeared. And I found some space for the stuff, somehow! (back of hand to forehead). Now to make everything fit in. Then, I'll start fitting the V8-60 tube axle in, and possibly redo some of the rear suspension. I've been thinking about using a 2 link with a torque arm. I've got an idea for the front of the arm to articulate it so no binds and controlled rear steer. More soon...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    It lives! The wiring is finalized, the switch and support arm is done except for paint, which BTW the whole structure needs paint. And I think you know how I feel about paint and painting. It's fun, being able to switch from forward to reverse just with the flick of a switch. Now I have to purchase a few parts and it'll be a good workhorse for the garage.

Then I still have to clean up and rearrange the garage and make it more usable. Oh, and I am thinking about a 400 cid small block that's for sale, just not near me. It's in Concord, N.C., and the shipping costs will probably be prohibitive. We'll see...
    Drive down and we can put you up. We're a couple of hours from Concord so we can be your home base.
    Last edited by DanStokes; March 1, 2024, 09:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    It lives! The wiring is finalized, the switch and support arm is done except for paint, which BTW the whole structure needs paint. And I think you know how I feel about paint and painting. It's fun, being able to switch from forward to reverse just with the flick of a switch. Now I have to purchase a few parts and it'll be a good workhorse for the garage.

Then I still have to clean up and rearrange the garage and make it more usable. Oh, and I am thinking about a 400 cid small block that's for sale, just not near me. It's in Concord, N.C., and the shipping costs will probably be prohibitive. We'll see...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Jay Leno tracked down Mr. Doble shortly before he died (IIRC, he was REALLY old, like 99 or something). Anyhow, Jay asked him why, given the sophistication of his design, the car never caught on and Mr. Doble said "water freezes". 'Nuff said.......
    But with climate change the ambient temperature will never reach freezing. And the coal burning firebox will ensure that the temperatures keep rising. Forge welding also will help. It takes hard coal burning to get enough temperature. The carbon released in the fire also helps keep the steel strong.

And regarding the creek out back, we're thinking that a pair of beavers will take care of the dam. No need for building one ourselves.

So yes, I have given this all some serious thought. Because what else can I do in the wee hours of the day, when normal people are sound asleep, dreaming about mundane things like flying without wings, or something like that.

Today I was able to make an arm to support the rotary drum switch above the lathe. Tomorrow I'll get more sealtite flexible conduit connections, 90 degree ones, to get everything to tuck in nice and snug, so the lathe on the stand won't stick too far out from the wall it's going near. Then finish the wiring and see how good it runs.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Woo hoo! Finally figured out the wiring of the rotary drum switch to the motor to get the lathe to have reverse. So now I have to make a support arm for the switch and actually run the wiring in sealtite flexible conduit.

There's a small creek in the woods outback. Too bad it's not enough flow to run a waterwheel. I'd so run the garage on water power. Line shaft, leather belts flapping dangerously in the garage, idler pulley system, and all the rest. Get rid of this imaginary power called electricity! Oxy-fuel welding, or forge welding. And steam power for the Whatever project.

Doble style system. Go a lot further on a tank of water than a Stanley Steamer. Nice and quiet. Like Joe Walsh's song, Analog Man, a troglodyte, or is that a Luddite? A troglodytic luddite? Or a ludditic troglodyte? Whatever, that's me...
    Jay Leno tracked down Mr. Doble shortly before he died (IIRC, he was REALLY old, like 99 or something). Anyhow, Jay asked him why, given the sophistication of his design, the car never caught on and Mr. Doble said "water freezes". 'Nuff said.......
    Last edited by DanStokes; February 26, 2024, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Are you doubling up on Your Meds?
    or Forgetting to Take Them?
    or is Cabin Fever setting in?

All the work needed to put these Ideas
    Into Reality are a Little Concerning.....
    Dreams are OK, but you were sounding like you were going to start building a dam, and trenching a channel tomorrow for that Waterwheel .......

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Woo hoo! Finally figured out the wiring of the rotary drum switch to the motor to get the lathe to have reverse. So now I have to make a support arm for the switch and actually run the wiring in sealtite flexible conduit.

There's a small creek in the woods outback. Too bad it's not enough flow to run a waterwheel. I'd so run the garage on water power. Line shaft, leather belts flapping dangerously in the garage, idler pulley system, and all the rest. Get rid of this imaginary power called electricity! Oxy-fuel welding, or forge welding. And steam power for the Whatever project.

Doble style system. Go a lot further on a tank of water than a Stanley Steamer. Nice and quiet. Like Joe Walsh's song, Analog Man, a troglodyte, or is that a Luddite? A troglodytic luddite? Or a ludditic troglodyte? Whatever, that's me...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Said no one on Bangshift, ever.
    Said it, yes. Meant it, no!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

But no, I have enough projects already!
    Said no one on Bangshift, ever.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
    Here you go

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1350294

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1350295

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1350296

I like the red one. Although the Mini pickemup would be fun. But no, I have enough projects already!

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Here you go

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1350294

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1350295

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1350296

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    I'm thinking about now someone is going to get a Yellow Wet Paint Brush across his Puss......
    Let's see: I'm probably the most like Curly, Dan has straight hair like Mo, so captain you will have to get a perm so that you will look like Larry. Woo, woo, woo, woo!

Only thing is, I can't do that thing where I lay on the floor on my shoulder and spin... But I have the ability to slap a paint brush across a face, or make a cake with a feather pillow, or glue for syrup, or...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X