X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post

I barely got through high school (seriously) so don't worry about me...
    "Some college" - basically, trade school. No certificate in anything.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    I'm just trying to fit in with the bunch here....
    Engineers, Lawyers, 2 time Dr. of Nuclear Physics.....
    I barely got through high school (seriously) so don't worry about me...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post

Good to see a "Normal" Shop Tool Boxes of Organized Chaos!!
    I do like reading Dan's MG posts.....
    But I am getting a Narcosis from his
    TV Show Shop Cleanliness......

Please , Not to Hurt yours or anyone's feelings Dan
    ​​​​​​
    Believe me, my shop is a mess. I try to spiff up the area where the pics are taken but really - it's a pit.

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1348838

Got the plate a while back, THX. Two trips across the country, it probably has more miles on it in the box than it did on a car...
    Good to see a "Normal" Shop Tool Boxes of Organized Chaos!!
    I do like reading Dan's MG posts.....
    But I am getting a Narcosis from his
    TV Show Shop Cleanliness......

Please , Not to Hurt yours or anyone's feelings Dan
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1348838

Got the plate a while back, THX. Two trips across the country, it probably has more miles on it in the box than it did on a car...
    Last edited by Loren; January 28, 2024, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Got some Link Belt today, enough for the lathe and some extra just in case... And holy batcrap, Robin! That stuff got spendy! $86 for it. Looking at the brighter side however, using it means that I can put the belts on without taking the headstock apart. And that's a good thing! Now for some wiring stuff...

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

With my monster hanging heater I shut it off and turn it on about an hour before I plan to work. Things heat up pretty quickly.
    That's what I do also. Just forgot about it when I was done . And I have it set on continuous, so the thermostat didn't shut it off. You'd think I'd have heard the fan running.

So now that I have the lathe on the stand, there's a little bit of walkabout room in the garage. Next on the list of things to do is tidy up and get stuff out of the way and off of the floor. And I'm going to make a concerted effort to rearrange the garage and make it more usable.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post

I am guessing it's set on WFO! Lol! I can't say anything my shop has a heat pump. I think it set at 60° right now. Opening the garage door let's a lot of heat out but it seems to recover quickly. I am a believer in keeping some heat in it so everything is warmer that way all the things and the building give off heat to help warm the air once the door closes.

I normally I keep it set between 50-65° in the winter, depending on how much time I plan to spend in the shop.
    With my monster hanging heater I shut it off and turn it on about an hour before I plan to work. Things heat up pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

This one's on me. It has a thermostat. That can be used or not. Guess what setting I have left it on since I installed it? Go on, guess. I bet none of you gentlemen can guess. No, really you'll never guess...

was I thinking?

You see, it was only supposed to be a one winter temporary solution for the first year in our new house. Then I had planned on having a mini split heat pump system installed. That would have been 2019. There are some very good units on the market these days that can work down to sub zero temperatures ( and not the Celsius 0). But various life issues got in the way. And I planned to leave the electric heater in for really cold days, or to get the garage warmed up more quickly. So I have no one but myself to blame, not that it's going to do me any good...

Oh well, doesn't matter, only leave it on again sometime, anyway
    I am guessing it's set on WFO! Lol! I can't say anything my shop has a heat pump. I think it set at 60° right now. Opening the garage door let's a lot of heat out but it seems to recover quickly. I am a believer in keeping some heat in it so everything is warmer that way all the things and the building give off heat to help warm the air once the door closes.

I normally I keep it set between 50-65° in the winter, depending on how much time I plan to spend in the shop.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Sounds like you need a thermostat for your heater. Was not a snafu, it's the deficient equipment.
    This one's on me. It has a thermostat. That can be used or not. Guess what setting I have left it on since I installed it? Go on, guess. I bet none of you gentlemen can guess. No, really you'll never guess...

was I thinking?

You see, it was only supposed to be a one winter temporary solution for the first year in our new house. Then I had planned on having a mini split heat pump system installed. That would have been 2019. There are some very good units on the market these days that can work down to sub zero temperatures ( and not the Celsius 0). But various life issues got in the way. And I planned to leave the electric heater in for really cold days, or to get the garage warmed up more quickly. So I have no one but myself to blame, not that it's going to do me any good...

Oh well, doesn't matter, only leave it on again sometime, anyway

Leave a comment:

• Russell
    replied
    Sounds like you need a thermostat for your heater. Was not a snafu, it's the deficient equipment.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Yep, done there been that. I, too, tried to justify it.
    Had to go to the supermarket today around 11 am. It was still warmer than normal because of the snafu. Well until I had to open the garage door...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Yeah, I went out this afternoon to go to CVS for a few items, and the garage felt like summer. About 80 degrees. And yes, I shut off the heater this afternoon.

!
    Yep, done there been that. I, too, tried to justify it.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    So, you guys in northern climates, with heated garages that you can turn on when you spend some time in the garage on a cold winter day. And, if like mine, you have an insulated garage so the heat stays in the garage. And also like me, you run it for a little bit before going out into the garage to get the temperature to a good working temperature, say 55-60 degrees, comfortable with a shop coat on. And when you're done for the day, you can shut it off, saving $$$.

Yeah, I went out this afternoon to go to CVS for a few items, and the garage felt like summer. About 80 degrees. And yes, I shut off the heater this afternoon.

Yup, I'm still a little bit absent minded . And a few minutes ago I dumped the recycling can in the bin, and the garage felt like early fall, probably still 65-70 degrees out there! Oh well, what can I say? The good news is that everything is nice and warm, and with humidity in low numbers, I think outside relative humidity is around 25 %, things that might have been a little bit damp, are dry now!

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Well there was that time with the lady machinist, the EDM machine and the saltwater aquarium...

But I'm much better now!

I have a rudimentary understanding of machining, been able to use the machinery at every job since (Dan and I both were threatened with a very painful demise by Lennie if we damaged any of his machines), and even established a shop at the lab here in New York. I will never call myself a machinist, I have way too much respect for them to insult them.

I had a similar lathe early in the 80s, put it in my mother's basement, where her hvac guy saw it and kept asking if it was for sale. Stupid me, I finally let it go early 90s. 30 years later and here we are...

So now I get to relive my past, and maybe slowly make some scrap... er, that is parts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X