Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain
    replied
    I'm thinking about now someone is going to get a Yellow Wet Paint Brush across his Puss......
    Last edited by Captain; February 22, 2024, 05:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Or even less.
    But ya dint pay one red cent! Cuz I know...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Just remember, ya git what yer paid fer!
    Or even less.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Just remember, ya git what yer paid fer!

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Odiferous.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    And that is why I was an engineer and not a standup comedian

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Grumble Grumble. Paint is pretty. At least when I do it.
    A Picasso of the paint gun, the Michelangelo of the motor car, the da Vinci of da automobile, the van Gogh of the van garage, the Ruben of Ramblers, the Velazquez of the Vega, the Rockwell of Renault.

Everyone knows about Michelangelo painting the Ceiling of the Sisteen Chapel. But his younger brother Donniangelo was commissioned by the Vatican to paint the walls.

So he mixed the paint, and started on the walls. About halfway through the job, he realized that he might not have mixed enough paint, so he thinned out the remaining paint. But it didn't cover as well, and when he was about 3/4 finished with the job, he was even more worried that he was running low on paint. So he thinned the rest of the paint and stretched it to the end. Of course when it was finished and had dried, it looked like I had painted it, being about 4 or 5 different shades.

Now big brother Michelangelo had yet to start on the ceiling, as he was at a loss for what it should look like. Right about then, there was a flash of light, and a peel of thunder. A heavenly hand came out of a mist, pointing at poor Donniangelo. And in a crashing voice, the lord said to him:

wait for it:

wait:

wait:

"Repaint, and thin no more!"

And Michelangelo had his divine inspiration for the mural on the ceiling...

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Floor stripes I can probably handle on my own. Dan would say otherwise, but then he's never seen my paint spilling abilities. Never clean up, just brush it around. Unless it's on your nice hardwood floors. Then hustle like mad to clean up the mess. But we don't talk about that around here...

BTW, have I ever told you just how much I hate painting?...
    Grumble Grumble. Paint is pretty. At least when I do it.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Floor stripes I can probably handle on my own. Dan would say otherwise, but then he's never seen my paint spilling abilities. Never clean up, just brush it around. Unless it's on your nice hardwood floors. Then hustle like mad to clean up the mess. But we don't talk about that around here...

BTW, have I ever told you just how much I hate painting?...

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    There is Light in the end of the Tunnel......

My neighbor lady, the one that comments on the tardiness of my scheduling my lawn care, stopped in my shop yesterday to ask about me fixing something again for her......

She said, WELL, your shop LOOKS so much better NOW. There's ROOM in here to get around!.....
    Now she might have been Buttering me up to fix whatever she wanted, but it was noticeable that Yes you can get around without stepping over things. This is because.....
    PROJECTS are getting into the completion phase, .... boxes, piles, and Sub Assembled Parts are not ALL over the floor or leaning on walls anymore.

So, once you have your Purge of "Stuff",
    You Too will have room to walk around the shop.
    If you are Really serious on keeping it that way,
    Have Dan come visit for a week. You two can PAINT Yellow OSHA Safety Stripes on the floor marking out the Walkways....

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied

Call Mike M. The electrical one.
    Nah, anotheri... helped a lot. Mostly done, just have to get some 14 gauge wire connectors. I'm bench wiring it and will be testing it later today. NASCAR is postponed until tomorrow, so the afternoon is open to tinker. Once I get this further along, I need to figure out how to arrange stuff so that I'm not just shoveling ...... against the tide. And I need to make enough room to start repairs and reassembling the Mini subframes. 2 cars and the Blazer. All in a 24x30 minus 8x8, garage. And all of the required stuff to continue building stuff.

This is not bragging, I have 3 lathes in the garage right now. None of which are worth the space they take uo currently. The new to me Atlas still needs some work, the old Delta Double Duty is a good wood lathe, I think? But it is a stretch to use it for the stuff I've been doing. And the little teeny tiny Craftsman lathe, while it is the only one that runs and is intended for metal turning, needs to be freshened up. And it's just not going to make anything very big. The Delta is going to eastern Massachusetts sometime late this year. The Craftsman is going to tthe basement somehow, and the Atlas will take its place in the garage.

But to get that done, everything else will be in disarray for a period of time. And what do I do with the Whatever project and all of the parts? And more crap.

It's a blivet and a half. That is 15 pounds of.... in a 5 pound bag

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Just got a call from the local electrical supply house and my new rotary drum switch for the lathe is in! Another distraction from cleaning up the garage!

Square D, not the cheapest, but it should hold up better than the imports. Now to pull off the motor and figure out how to wire it all... And you know what I believe about electricity. Just call me Sparky
    Call Mike M. The electrical one.

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Just got a call from the local electrical supply house and my new rotary drum switch for the lathe is in! Another distraction from cleaning up the garage!

Square D, not the cheapest, but it should hold up better than the imports. Now to pull off the motor and figure out how to wire it all... And you know what I believe about electricity. Just call me Sparky

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    That new tap handle is the cats pajamas, I tell you! Just spent the last hour setting up and reaming the kingpin bores in the V8-60 tube axle. Set the adjustable hand reamer to just undersize of the F100 kingpins and ran it thru. Now I have to clean up the garage so I can get to the bushing hone to size the bores perfectly to fit. Piece of cake...

Cleaning up the garage, on the other hand, is a piece of pie. Cake is easy, open the box, dump it in a bowl, add an egg and some oil, mix, pour into pan and bake. In reality it's about a 5 minute task.

Pie, on the other hand, requires crust, which takes a bunch of time, effort and vodka. Vodka, you ask incredulously? What's with the vodka? Science! Pie dough consists of flour, fat and fluid. If you use water, the rolling of the dough starts breaking down the gluten in the flour when using water. Vodka, i.e. alcohol, doesn't. So get the highest proof vodka in the store. And don't taste the dough, it's not a good taste! If you can get Everclear, even better, as it's almost 200 proof, something like 190. And that's 95 percent alcohol! And no lingering taste once baked.

So all that, and you've still got to get the damn dough into a pie plate. Which is always a big pain in the @$$. So next is the filling. Apple pie, clean, peal, core and cut up the apples. Sugar and spices, and dump it in the shell. And next dot with butter, whatever the f#$( that means! And now for the final assembly step: getting the top crust on neatly! Then cut steam vents. Bake, cool, add vanilla ice cream and extra sharp New York cheddar cheese and mmmm! But was it easy? H e double hockey sticks, NO!

And that's just like cleaning up the garage. Bet you didn't know you were goingto get a chemistry lesson, and a cooking lesson both in a posting on reaming the kingpin bores of an axle, did you?

Leave a comment:

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    I have one of those and once I satisfied myself that I would be able to work it, it's just sat there waiting for a real project. With that, your major stretching will still need a shot bag or tree stump with a depression ground into it then the 'wheel smooths the hammering out while coining/stretching some too. I would highly recommend buying some fresh .050 3003 or 5051 aluminum to learn with and not messing with old steel. You want just nice material in there or you will ding up the wheels.
    You're right, that was the Scots in me acting up. I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty. And not only is your suggestion going to save me time and effort on the wheels keeping them clean and shiny, but upon further ruminations and cogitations, I've come to the realization that I might as well learn how to beat, bash, and otherwise molest perfectly fine sheetmetal congruent with the metal that I will be using on the Whatever project.

But first, today I was at my favorite hardware store and they had a large tap handle, so I procured it to finish resizing the V8-60 tube axle to get the F100 kingpins in. Of course we all know that now I'll find my old one. We were supposed to get Snowmageddon today. Instead we had a pretty good day, with sunshine and reasonable temperatures. However I wasn't able to get to the garage because I was running around.

I started by the trip to Ace Hardware where I got the new tap handle, bought some packing tape (but forgot to take the dispenser handle thing with me), went to the local electrical supply house and ordered a new rotary drum switch for the lathe, went home because I needed said tape dispenser handle, packaged up 2 items that SWMBO needed to return, went to the local post office, but they are a contract facility, hence they are unable to print labels from qr codes, went home and made lunch, went back out to the closest real post office and got the package shipped, talked with Owen at the post office, and finally got back home around 4 pm. So my energy levels are waining!

Good day otherwise...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X