No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for something completely different! The ministry of silly suspension reworks...

Ok so it doesn't quite go together, you get what you pay for in humor...And you guys didn't pay nothing!

To recap, I got the body last week. And now i'm doing a rework on the rear suspension to get things to clear. Not huge changes, besides it's just steel. Cut, grind, drill, weld. Not like wood where you get to heat the shop with your mistakes when you need to rethink things.

I really wanted to stay with the plaigerized rear suspension idea from that Unser Sprint car, but the single hairpin just doesn't clear the body without a lot of cutting, and I really don't want to cut the body. So instead I have decided to go with a 4 parallel link system, and also to raise the ride height 1 inch in the rear. That was in the works anyway, so no loss, no gain. And I keep telling myself, what the hell,the 4 link is a well proven design. I just have to get the details correct so as not to introduce roll steer. Oh well...

A couple of good days in the garage and it should be a roller again. I can stick with the front as is so that's all good.

Now one last point: Why didn't anybody tell me that a 25 T is so freaking small? My short fat feet (size 9, 8E width) are going to be a little space challenged down there.

Pictures tomorrow or Friday when I have some serious progress to post.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1150.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1294142 So I did it! I figured out how to get the suspension to clear the body without any cutting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1147.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	893.6 KB
ID:	1294141Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1144.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1294143Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1146.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1294144

I have been experiencing problems with my method of getting photos onto the tablet. I need a new widget to download from. The old one is getting old and crotchetty, hence all the photos first. And in random order...

So 1st picture is of the lower mounting of the mocked up new right side wishbone copied from the Marty Strode replica of the Spaulding roadster. This pic shows the front mount is too high for the correct geometry, after I did 2 things; 1- raised the ride heigth to where it needs to be, and 2-where the front eye will eventually mount-thru that square tube brace between the 2x3 main rail and the 1 1/2 lower tube.

The 2nd picture is a right side photo showing the overall stance and that yes the front eye needs to be 2 inches lower.

The 3rd photo is the left side. Same thing that bar needs to be lower so it isn't running uphill rear to front.

4th photo is 3/4 rear angle to show that I need to extend the rear of the frame to match the turtle deck. That will give me a place to mount the fuel tank, the battery, the rear nerf bar, and also the turtle deck, which needs to be 2 inches give or take higher on the body. So It turned out to be simple. The rear of the frame was going to happen anyway, so no problem. After all it's just steel.

So I like the profile, and when I figure all of this out, I need to figure out how to make an under pan to match the turtle deck. I may just buy a 2nd turtle deck and modify it to my idea. There will be a full belly pan eventually, that will tie into the rear pan.

Now to get my feet to fit in this thing! I may have to use an auto so I can can the 3rd pedal

Any ideas are welcome, short of sawing parts of my feet off...

Comment

Let Maggie drive? As I recall she has human-sized feet.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; May 15, 2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Let Maggie drive? As I recall she has human-sized feet.

Dan
          Alas, she's had to give up driving. Seizures suck!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

Alas, she's had to give up driving. Seizures suck!
            So sorry to hear that. I know that day will come for me sooner or later and I hate the thought of it. I only hope my "stuff" is together enough to realize when it's time to hang it up. As part of this - I can see a time when I'm OK to drive LSR but not to drive the rig to the track which is something to think about........

Dan

Comment

So sorry to hear that. I know that day will come for me sooner or later and I hate the thought of it. I only hope my "stuff" is together enough to realize when it's time to hang it up. As part of this - I can see a time when I'm OK to drive LSR but not to drive the rig to the track which is something to think about........

Dan
              We need to build a 2 seat LSR car that is crazy fast, Dan. That way we can be like the 2 characters in "Second Hand Lions" at the end

Upside down thru the lights instead of thru a barn.

Comment

Generally speaking there are no passengers allowed though they do make an exception for the blind racer. And yes, I'm serious - look up Dan Parker the blind machinist.

Dan

Comment

So I'll wear really dark Ray Charles glasses. No Problem...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                    So I'll wear really dark Ray Charles glasses. No Problem...
                    I don't want to SEE the End Coming Either.....

I want it to be like going thru the SOUND BARRIER !!!!
                    You DON'T See It.....
                    You Don't Hear IT....
                    You are Just come out on the Other SIDE.......

Comment

Generally speaking there are no passengers allowed though they do make an exception for the blind racer. And yes, I'm serious - look up Dan Parker the blind machinist.

Dan
                      people ask me, all the time, "are you blind".... well, yes, yes I am
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

being blind to negativity and untruth is a strength, not a weakness
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          being blind to negativity and untruth is a strength, not a weakness
                          ignorance is bliss
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Back to your Car.........
                            Are going to have a "Sprint Car" or "Booger Bar" push bumper on the rear?
                            A Drag Chute Mount ?

On the foot area, Split the fibergass body at the Cowl, and Tranny tunnel. Add required inches, reGlass it all.
                            "Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower The River"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                              Back to your Car.........
                              Are going to have a "Sprint Car" or "Booger Bar" push bumper on the rear?
                              A Drag Chute Mount ?

On the foot area, Split the fibergass body at the Cowl, and Tranny tunnel. Add required inches, reGlass it all.
                              "Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower The River"
                              I'm planning a rear crash bar similar to what we used on the dirt modifieds in the 70's. Wide enough to protect he turtle deck and some of the tire width. And side bars like we used as well. It gives me a place to incorporate a step to get my old fat @$$ in the thing.

As to widening the body, not me! I hate any type of body work, and that smacks toooooo much of having to do body work. Ask Dan, he'll tell you it's not one of my better capabilities.

But it does bring up a question: when I have to glass in some woodstructure for the interior, what brand/type of goo should I use? And recommended source.

Another question: If I use plywood, should it be marine grade, baltic burch, or? I know some of the structure will be hardwood, probably oak, but is there something better to use?

Comment

So now for the last couple of days progress/back steps...

I have put the body on the chassis to check fit. As mentioned above Ithink??? it didn't clear the suspension. Good think most everything is just tacked in. Took the rear crossmember out,and lengthened the frame 7 inches to get it to the back of the turtle deck. Knocked the original coilover mounts off the rails and am now deciding how to get to the frame again elegantly. I don't want to cut the turtle deck just yet so I'm thinking of lowering the lower mount and coming off the bottom of the rear frame rails. We'll see...

So to get there, I had to cut the recess out of the turtle deck where the deck lid sits. Now I'm getting nervous. Have I said I really don't like doing body work?

I spent about 2 hours just laying out the cut lines. Have I mentioned I have multiple engineering degrees, and the anal retentiveness that goes with them?

But the cutting was relatively easy. My smallest holesaw for the corners of the cut to get a nice radius. Then a Fein tool for the cut between the holes. By the way I saved the hole cutouts. They play a part in a little bit.

To assemble the body, I first needed to drill the turtle deck and back of the body for some bolts. I laid out the holes in the upper vorners of the turtle deck mounting flange, and drilled them 1/4 inch. Then setting the body flat on the floor, and the turtle deck on riser blocks, I was able to maek the back of the body with a Sharpie where to drill. Same 1/4 inch drill, and we're looking good.

Next get the body back on the frame, and block the turtle deck up where it belongs and screw the 2 parts together. Oh remember I kept the knockouts from the holesaw from the deck lid opening? They maks perfect reinforcements where the bolts pass thru the body parts. About 1 inch in diameter, andalready have 1/4 inch holes thru them. Put a fender washer on the bolt then the puck(as I am calling it) thru both parts of the body, a second puck, and another fender washer then finally the nut. Works like a charm! I'll post picture tomorrow. Was too sore to get pictures after doing this today

So now the body is resting on the frame, and I can slide under it and look at the room under there for all of the other necessary bits and bobs. So why didn't someone tell me these things were so freaking small???

Comment

Working...
                                X