No announcement yet.

The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11C. When I retired they told me to take it as it was "hopelessly out of date." So I did - otherwise it was going in the electronics recycling.

Dan

Comment

Back Way Before The Turn of the Century................when I was Trying out College.....
      You were a RICH KID if you had a "Texas Instrument" calculator!
      And the first ones had "Reverse Polish Notation" to get them to work........
      The REAL Engineering Students had those Leather Cased 2 1/2 foot 6" wide slide rules !!!

Give one of those to as a "College Entry Test" to a Pre Enginering student to use,
      and just get the Area of a Circle for the only question.
      Remember !!! NO CELL PHONE IN THE TEST ROOM.........LOL
      Last edited by Captain; June 19, 2021, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hauen View Post
        HP 41 by any chance? I remember when I started surveying, it was practically a prerequisite.
        The first 2 were. The 3rd one is a 48 something or other. By the mid 90s when the 2nd died (just an hour before an exam in grad school...) the 41s were out of production.

So the new one is now 27 years old and still going strong. If it dies before I do, I'll just use the one on the I-phone. Besides I only use one now mostly for adding and subtracting. I really have gotten into the 21st century, and use the computer and the internet when doing engineering calculations these days. The few that I now do...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
          Back Way Before The Turn of the Century................when I was Trying out College.....
          You were a RICH KID if you had a "Texas Instrument" calculator!
          And the first ones had "Reverse Polish Notation" to get them to work........
          The REAL Engineering Students had those Leather Cased 2 1/2 foot 6" wide slide rules !!!

Give one of those to as a "College Entry Test" to a Pre Enginering student to use,
          and just get the Area of a Circle for the only question.
          Remember !!! NO CELL PHONE IN THE TEST ROOM.........LOL
          I have one of those. And the math tables book to go with it. When the electricity goes out, I'm ready to save the world!

BTW, the slide rule is in great shape for having been made in 51 or 52 (a friend gave it to me when he retired 20 years ago). It's worth about $5 give or take $5. The hard leather scabbard on the other hand is worth $20 give or take $5, as they took the beating back in that era, and most didn't survive. Collectors look for them the most. Of course that's assuming you find someone who really wants to buy it.

Comment

I have a two slide rules that were my Grandfather's I wish I knew how to use them.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              I have a two slide rules that were my Grandfather's I wish I knew how to use them.
              Lay them on a piece of paper, put a pencil (pointy end down) next to the long side, move the pencil, and POOF! instant straight line. At least in HS that's what I mostly used mine for though at one time I could do a couple of functions on it. Long since been lost.

Dan

Comment

I found a manual on line. So far last year before I retired I learned multiplication and division. Started working on logarithms but retirement came along. No more time to kill in my home office. BUT I printed it out and made up a binder. So when the power goes out I can save the world because I can do the science.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Comment

So I really am making a little progress on the Whatever project. At least I'm spending money on it. Just ordered a Vega steering box and pitman arm from Summit. It's a brandynew Borgeson box made in the good old U.S. like it should be. I know, lazy mf, scrounge, steal, swap, or in some creative way obtain a good used one. Nah, this is easier. Besides its a bit warm up here.

Also ordered up some 1/8 × 1 x 8 crs bent up at 90 degrees for body mounts/partial floor boards. I'm plaigerizing the idea from the HAMB board, from Marty Strode. It's a great way to hang the body. I'll have the steel by Wednesday or Thursday so just in time for the temperature to drop.

Assuming I have all of the above by the weekend I should be able to get back to work on the Whatever project and get steering and body somewhat mounted.

At this rate I figure I'll get it finished inside of a decade or so...

Why rush things

Comment

So I mocked up the new steering box and it looks like I have some room for it up front. It'll be in a cross steer setup. Now to find the room for a steering column. I have a spare Mini column which should work just fine. Its got a bunch of electricals on it, which helps with a number of other issues down the road.

It has directionals, high/low and horn button all on one stalk. Yes it's Lucas, Prince of Darkness, but I have 3 or 4 spare switch assemblies. And I didn't have a problem with the first one. It's all in the connectors actually with Lucas stuff in my experience.

And I gain a quick release hub in the bargain.

So looking down the road at what is needed for electrical on the Whatever project, my dash layout is going to be simple. A couple of switches a tachometer a speedometer oil pressure gas level and water temperature. Most of the gauges are mechanical so only lights wiring there. I should have a lot of room behind the dash.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Comment

• Good luck with the wiring.
                      I used as much as I could from the dash wiring on the Donor Samurai Firewall that we cut up to get the "Pedals, Clutch Cable Setup, Brake Booster Mount, etc......"
                      Used a Down Loaded wire diagram, and ran almost all the same circuits from the fuse box out. I relocated the fuse box to inside the glove box. No, turning purple, upside down, "Can't see right through BiFocals"
                      fishing around under the steering column.

Comment

• So call me a glutton for punishment. I'm going to make the pedals from scratch. I know the ratios needed, and how much room I have for my short fat feet. And the Mini steering column is very small in diameter, roughly 1 1/4 inch diameter. Actually a little smaller. Probably a metric size. A 3/4 double D shaft is a fug snit in it.

I've already modified the shaft, and the bushings, so another small task done. A good friend told me decades ago that if I did one thing a day regardless of how small the task, that it will get the project done. So I have been trying to do something every day. It worked with the dirt cars so I know it will work on the Whatever project.

Oh and another small thing that comes with the column is the ignition switch . So like the Captain, I am going to use one of the spare wiring harnesses I have for the Mini. Of course I will change most of the connectors as they are really the only weak link in Lucas electricals. They are unique in that they aren't crimped or soldered on, instead they are bullet shaped and have a hole thru them. The end of the wire jus3sticks thru and is folded over.

Now this is ok, given that the wires are a little longer than necessary so when they corrode they can be cut back and reused. Chinzy, but cheap.

Comment

• Not a lot of progress to report. Hurt my back again, and been taking muscle relaxants for a couple of days. Don't try working in a shop when on those things. Good way to really screw something up, body, project, tools, shop...

Closing in on finishing up on my trailer upgrades and repaint. So then its out of the garage so I have room to work on the Whatever project again. Just a few little things got worked on, mainly small bits and bobs, but necessary to get the Whatever project finished. I know I owe pictures. So I will get some tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                            Not a lot of progress to report. Hurt my back again, and been taking muscle relaxants for a couple of days. Don't try working in a shop when on those things. Good way to really screw something up, body, project, tools, shop...

Closing in on finishing up on my trailer upgrades and repaint. So then its out of the garage so I have room to work on the Whatever project again. Just a few little things got worked on, mainly small bits and bobs, but necessary to get the Whatever project finished. I know I owe pictures. So I will get some tomorrow.
                            Bummer Dave - hope the back is getting happy again. Little Andy is also on muscle relaxants right now as a result of back issues. Maybe it's going around? MORE PICS!!!!

Dan

Comment

• Nope. Went to the urgent care facility today. Either muscle spasms or kidney stones. I got lucky, it's muscle spasms. Drugs are the doctor's order. Oh and rest the back for a few days. Well lucky is like the better of two bad choices.

So next its figuring out a steering box mount. Time for CAD! Cardboard Aided Design, right Dan?

I guess I can make other drawings of stuff as well.

Comment

• CAD works for me! Mutt the Race Truck wouldn't exist without it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X