The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EXCELLENT thing about CAD.....
    you don't have to find a printer large enough for 1:1 patterns to make....

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
      The EXCELLENT thing about CAD.....
      you don't have to find a printer large enough for 1:1 patterns to make....
      And it takes one back to the most important class we ever attended; kindergarten. Because everyone knows that everything we learned in life we learned in kindergarten.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
        And it takes one back to the most important class we ever attended; kindergarten. Because everyone knows that everything we learned in life we learned in kindergarten.
        Sooo, does that mean my kindergarten teacher was a degenerate too?

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Sooo, does that mean my kindergarten teacher was a degenerate too?
          Nah! It was your classmates. Remember Little Johnie in the row behind you?

For me it was my own fault. I started in 59, and when I graduated kindergarten in 67... well the rest can go unsaid.

Comment

• Made small progress today. I was able to lay out a CAD template for the steering box mounting bracket. I dug out a small piece of 3/8 plate big enough to cut it out of, and started bandsawing it out. I've been using the bandsaw quite a bit lately and the blades seem to fail by fatiguing. Of course it broke during the cut I was into on the bracket. Not wanting to irritate my back I didn't feel like wrestling with the saw to install a new blade, and then resquare it. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1118.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1300383 This is my metal cutting bandsaw. It's a Milwaukee Porta-band saw and a Swag Offroad table. The saw needs to be removed from the table to change the blades. And while it's not that heavy, its enough to irritate my back again, so another day...

Comment

• Like eating an elephant.......

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Like eating an elephant.......

Dan
                Been working on bits and bobs that are small light and necessary. Steering box mounting bracket, other stuff that was just idling in the background.

Still got to finish the trailer but at least it's on wheels. I can move it out of my way to work on the Whatever project.

So like Dan said, "...one bite at a time ".

Comment

• Here's the steering box mounting bracket finally! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1183.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1301472 Went to take pictures of it, but realized that I welded spacers on the wrong side. Ground them off and made new ones. I used the mig this time, quicker easier and the welds will be hidden so...

Remember, Better is the enemy of good enough
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1181.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1301473 bolted to the steering box.

So regarding the trailer that has sidetracked and sidelined me recently, I fitted the fenders so that they can be put on and off of the trailer without pulling the wheels. I only have 21 more flange nuts to weld in, after drilling 14 new holes. I use a step drill to make the hole with a step in it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1184.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1301474Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1186.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1301475 tig around the edge of the nut and viola threads in 1/8 inch steel.

Ok so I'm up to date on pictures of the Whatever project again. I have to get the steering box mounting bracket welded to the frame, and get the body mounted. So if I'm careful with my back, I have a good chance of accomplishing that this week.

Comment

• Got all the welding done on the trailer. Yay. Cleaning and paint next then lights and wiring. These are outside jobs so there's room again for working on the Whatever project in the garage. Steering is next on the list. Today given an hour or so I plan on making the drag link from the box to the right front spindle. That will give the final location of the steering box mounting bracket. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have the steering in place. I also intend to make a cowl support hoop to support the steering column. Getting those all located should then show me how much room I have for pedals.

I need to get over to the Berkshires to my brother-in-law's to pick up an S10 T5. That is one more piece of the puzzle. And having a spare e-brake handle for a mini I've got that to fit in as well.

Why didn't anybody tell me just how small a T body really is? Pictures in a day or two

Comment

• T-Bucket bodies are REALLY small. (There, I tole ya)

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        T-Bucket bodies are REALLY small. (There, I tole ya)

Dan
                        So now you tell me! You know, it's smaller than the Mini. And remember Jim and I could both fit in it. I still miss Jim.

Comment

• Wish I'd gotten to know him. Sounds like a heck of a guy.

Dan

Comment

• Got something done today. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1197.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1302400 This is looking like where the Vega steering box is going to end up. Once I move things around a little bit the geometry will be okay. I was going to do cross steer setup but space...

I keep finding out that these little cars can be challenging. Fortunately I can reverse the steering box cause turning right to go left only works on dirt tracks. And the column I'm going to use will only require 1 u-joint between the box and the column. I don't think it will even need to be lengthened or shortened.

I mocked up the seating position and steering column setup and I liked how it came together. So of course I will change the motor mounts, raising the engine about an inch. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1196.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1302401 This means that when I get around to making a hood, it will probably need a scoop or blister to get the air filter to fit. And seeing as how I keep running out of room, I will be making under floor pedals with the master cylinders mounted to the rear. This will then require a hydraulic throw out bearing, and maybe even move the engine slightly to the right.

So next its figuring out new engine mounts possibly using a transmission mount after all.

Comment

• Nothing to report on the car, however today I can laugh about what did take place in the garage over the past 2 days.

Tuesday evening I was putting out some garbage and went went thru the garage to get to the bin. It sits just outside the garage door. Upon opening the door from the house into the garage there was a smell of something dead.

Ignoring it but saying to SWMBO "something smells...", I went about my business and back in the house. Yesterday after breakfast, I took a cat litter floor mat outside to shake out and wash, passing through the garage. The smell was much worse, so time to investigate.

Only took one try to find the source of the smell. Between some large sheets of cardboard saved for bench top protectors and the recycling bin was a dead chipmunk, biggest one I've seen. Almost the size of a gray squirrel. And putrified!

Now as an important aside, I didn't follow my father's career path, he was a surgeon, because I can't stomach yucky stuff. So having to clean up a dead, burst open, smelly, slimy, disgusting dead chipmunk, really made my morning. I didn't eat anything else yesterday until almost 9 pm. Yeah call me a wuss, I don't care!

So I scooped up the goo, and splashed Clorox on the area, went into the house and sipped on a Coke. And let the garage air out all day. Before I closed the garage door, I stomped around and banged on everything from back to front. So that's a wasted day report.

Ok I'm waiting for jokes...

Comment

• I live in the Iron Triangle of AREA BFE at the Tall Timber Line in Wisconsin........
                                Yep, Finding (or Can't) smelly dead critters is part of living out here.
                                Did notice you said you were emptying the Cat Litter Box?
                                I have a "Barn/Shop" cat, plus 1 or 2 ferral cats seen from time to time.....
                                So only in Fall do I have to set Traps for the Small Rodents, as Mother Nature didn't raise Idiots
                                and they want a warm over winter home.
                                ALSO, I set out small trays with Moth Balls in the vehicles under the Car Covers during long storage times,
                                Best under the heater, a Favorite Nesting Spot.......

Comment

Working...
                                X