The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
    Nothing to report on the car, however today I can laugh about what did take place in the garage over the past 2 days.

Yeah call me a wuss, I don't care!.
    OK. Yer a wuss. And you missed a chance for aged chipmunk stew. Like aged beef only smellier......

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
      I live in the Iron Triangle of AREA BFE at the Tall Timber Line in Wisconsin........
      Yep, Finding (or Can't) smelly dead critters is part of living out here.
      Did notice you said you were emptying the Cat Litter Box?
      I have a "Barn/Shop" cat, plus 1 or 2 ferral cats seen from time to time.....
      So only in Fall do I have to set Traps for the Small Rodents, as Mother Nature didn't raise Idiots
      and they want a warm over winter home.
      ALSO, I set out small trays with Moth Balls in the vehicles under the Car Covers during long storage times,
      Best under the heater, a Favorite Nesting Spot.......
      Yeah I guess I better do that this year. We've had an explosion of small rodents this year, and the neighbor's feral cats are looking fat and happy. But it's not enough. And the hawks are having a good time also. But with all the woods around us, we have chipmunks, gray squirrels and various other vermin and the like. Its being a good year for all the wildlife. We even have a bear on occasion.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

OK. Yer a wuss. And you missed a chance for aged chipmunk stew. Like aged beef only smellier......

Dan
        Possum innards and gopher guts...

Comment

• Got started on the body mounts today. Reworked the steering arms to improve their geometry and improve clearance for the drag link from the Vega steering box. Nothing to take pictures of, but progress. Tomorrow put the body back on and mark the mounting plates for contouring to match the body. Then to get the turtle deck back on and finish the rear suspension.

it's like Tetris 3D, only there's no reset button. Only backtracking

Comment

• Progress! Reworked the steering arms today. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1204.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1303275 Left side.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1203.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1303276 Right side. Unneeded steering arm Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1205.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1303277 Going with cross steer setup. Here's where I want the steering box mounted Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1210.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1303278

I also made a new tie rod Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1207.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1303279 2 threaded heavy wall tubes rh and lh thread, needed to be turned down to fit inside the the center tube. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1208.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1303280 Here's one finished end. Did this with my old Delta Double Duty lathe and a lathe file. Learned how to do this decades ago, and the lathe file is that old also. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1211.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1303281 Saved a lot of time trying to do this on my Craftsman tiny lathe. Tomorrow I'll drill some holes for plug welds and bevel the ends of the center tube for weld prep and weld it all together.

I got started on the body mount that I am copying from a builder on that other web site for hot rods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1201.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1303282 What you see in the picture is 1/8 inch steel plate with a 90 degree bend. It's way oversized, so now I will mark the mounting plates for contouring to match the body and cut it. Once finished they will be welded to the frame.

And the last hour or so I worked in the garage today I had the door closed. It was going on dusk, and it seems we have a neighborhood black bear who is a little bit curious. Last night I heard something out in the driveway I think it was my engine hoist. It sits right next to the garbage can in the summer. This morning a neighbor showed me a video of the bear walking up his driveway coming from my direction.

So yeah you can all call me a wuss again... I wonder if he could be trained to do my heavy lifting?

Comment

• I hear bears will do ANYTHING for pic-in-ic baskets!

Dan

Comment

• This one likes bird feeders. And kat fud...

Comment

This one likes bird feeders. And kat fud...
                  At least it isn’t a family of SKUNKS

Comment

• Yes I agree. While we have had a skunk walk thru now and again, and red foxes, they don't tend to stay around. Red foxes you say? Mother Nature knew what she was doing when she made the red fox. While they don't spray like skunks, they developed scent glands that have an almost identical smell. Being one of the smaller predators, they needed a little help avoiding the larger ones. Now how's that for some trivia night trivia.

I did get into the garage today. Made the welds for the new tie rod. After it cooled down, I assembled it on the modified steering arms and took a crude look at the geometry. Ackerman theory calls for a line projected thru the king pin and tie rod end on both sides to intersect dead center of the rear axle. However as tires have evolved and our understanding of how they generate grip has also, many suspension experts recommend reducing Ackerman, i.e. having the inside tire toe in less than would occur for perfect Ackerman. This all has to do with the slip angles of the tires and howto maximize grip.

So I have made an informed guess and made some decisions early on regarding caster, camber, Ackerman, anti-dive/anti-squat, and a bunch of other variables in my skeeming up the whatever project parameters. Yeah I'm probably wrong but I am trying...

And I have the body mounts marked for contouring tomorrow once I take the body back off.

Comment

• From what I hear on the internet, every Russian is issued a brown bear at birth - so they can help you with training them.... I wonder if they have to give them up when they immigrate to America.... maybe it's exchanged for a bald eagle?

while the internet is... not terribly reliable... there is a kernel of truth there

I just wonder if, after FGZ was adopted, his parents were disappointed that he wasn't a bear....
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• We have a cat. SWMBO rescued the cat from a no kill shelter. This is the 2nd since 2004. All she is good for is eating sleeping and... Otherwise I hardly see the cat. At least the ... stays in the litter box unlike dogs, where messes are de rigueur. But enough about animals.

Next steps, in no particular order: body mounts finished, steering box mounting bracket finally located and welded, drag link made, rear suspension components finish welded, turtle deck mounts finished, holes for rear suspension mounts drilled thru turtle deck, steering column mocked up and support structure designed, build previous, pedals designed, steering shaft made to connect box to column, oh my god if you are still reading, HELP!

so now to the garage...

Comment

• I got nothing new. Vertigo all day, probably not a good idea messing with power tools and threading my way thru the garage. On the other hand, many of us probably remember trying to achieve a state like that back in our youth, but I'm much better now...

Comment

I got nothing new. Vertigo all day, probably not a good idea messing with power tools and threading my way thru the garage. On the other hand, many of us probably remember trying to achieve a state like that back in our youth, but I'm much better now...
                            because you can achieve that state for less money?
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I got nothing new. Vertigo all day, probably not a good idea messing with power tools and threading my way thru the garage. On the other hand, many of us probably remember trying to achieve a state like that back in our youth, but I'm much better now...
                              Bummer. Hope that goes away soon. I've had that from time to time but fortunately not often.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Bummer. Hope that goes away soon. I've had that from time to time but fortunately not often.

Dan
                                Yes they used to call us the "Dizzy Ds" back in the A2 days...

It's called Benign Paroxymal Positional Vertigo, it's when the little crystal thingies in your inner ear get out of place. There's a physical therapy that gets it/them back in place. And you can learn to do it by yourself. It just takes a little time. I'm better today.

Comment

Working...
                                X