The "Whatever" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Wire Feeds....KOOL !!
    Too save time and resetting the welders....
    I would put heavier gauge wire in the rebuilt unit for the Thick Metal Welds, and .023 in the NEW Unit for sheet metal and fine work, like fixing your wife's jewellery.....

At least it will save that 3+ feet of wire you pull out in the lead every change....

Comment

• Dave - I suggest you check out Loren's thread - Misc. Metal and Mechanical Fabrication (or something like that). Loren and his wife Gail were on here years ago and he faded away but now is back to posting. He's our kind of guy only with better tools and more skills.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
        Two Wire Feeds....KOOL !!
        Too save time and resetting the welders....
        I would put heavier gauge wire in the rebuilt unit for the Thick Metal Welds, and .023 in the NEW Unit for sheet metal and fine work, like fixing your wife's jewellery.....

At least it will save that 3+ feet of wire you pull out in the lead every change....
        No, no, no! I now have 2 foot pedals for 9tig! But I like your thinking. Maybe if I buy the new Miller multi-function ac-dc tig, mig, stick welder, and keep the current machines, I could set up the mig side of the new machine different from the old mig. And I could leave one tig machine set for steel and the other for aluminum.

So Captain, can I quote you as the rationale for buying a new welder? And get away with it? I'll need a phone number so SWMBO can call you when she wants to cuss someone out...

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Dave - I suggest you check out Loren's thread - Misc. Metal and Mechanical Fabrication (or something like that). Loren and his wife Gail were on here years ago and he faded away but now is back to posting. He's our kind of guy only with better tools and more skills.

Dan
          I'll look it up. Always in need of sum lernin. U no engineres, we cud usss ale the hep we cin git...

Comment

• And now back to the garage. I still have to figure out the steering situation. I have another idea to explore. Might have a neat solution later. Time for CAD

Comment

• Progress! I was in the garage this afternoon and got the body mounts cut to shape. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1206.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1304388 Here's a reminder of how big the raw stock was.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1212.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1304389 Here's the after. And here's what they look like with the body back on Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1214.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	1304391Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1215.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	1304392 No more barked shins!

So at this point I figured I would start on the steering. But instead I decided to step back and look at the situation from a different perspective. I really like where the steering box is mounted, so I took the radiator out as it just doesn't fit where the steering box is. I put the nose back on and used some painters tape to get an idea of the lines.

Name:	DSCN1219.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1304393 I'll roll it out tomorrow and get better pictures so you all can laugh, cry, constructive criticise, or in some creative way make comments. I can now finish the rear suspension and get the holes thru the turtle deck drilled. And I have to start planning for seat mounting. And steering column. And pedals. And the center of the floor. And a windshield frame. Oh boy is there a lot to think about and build...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

No, no, no! I now have 2 foot pedals for 9tig! But I like your thinking. Maybe if I buy the new Miller multi-function ac-dc tig, mig, stick welder, and keep the current machines, I could set up the mig side of the new machine different from the old mig. And I could leave one tig machine set for steel and the other for aluminum.

So Captain, can I quote you as the rationale for buying a new welder? And get away with it? I'll need a phone number so SWMBO can call you when she wants to cuss someone out...
                Anything to Help a Rusty Iron Junkie Friend out....even a had a Rusty Orphan for Six Months, at a Buddy's place to cover for his "Barn Find Buy".....till he broke it too his Wife HE Had To buy it from me because I needed the CASH....

Comment

• Rolled it out for some pictures this morning. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1226.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1304530Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1224.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1304531Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1225.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1304532Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1222.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	943.9 KB
ID:	1304533Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1223.JPG
Size:	923.7 KB
ID:	1304534Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1220.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	926.6 KB
ID:	1304535Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1220.JPG
Size:	926.6 KB
ID:	1304536
                  I'm going out to get Styrofoam board and make a mock up for a radiator. Tomorrow I'll put old mangy back in Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_170319.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	1304537
                  reset ride height and see how everything is fitting up.

Comment

• Love the ventilated hood!

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      Love the ventilated hood!

Dan
                      Hey one of my better ideas. Easily replaced, flexible and cheap!

Comment

• Oh and another idea I plaigerized from way back in my dirt days is using hardware cloth to get closer to the final shape of things like the hood. Although I don't have a clue about going from it to sheet stock. 2d shape no problem, 3d shape I left to Jim. I didn't have many panels with compound curves because it wasn't smart investing a lot of effort into something that will get bent every week.

Comment

• Looks good! Replace the tape with strut rods call it good? CAD then sheet? Time to learn how to lay fiber glass? Shrinker / stretcher to make angle iron ends weld rod between, skin?

I am sure making a hood has been done 100's of times by others. So mine are all questions not suggestions.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            Looks good! Replace the tape with strut rods call it good? CAD then sheet? Time to learn how to lay fiber glass? Shrinker / stretcher to make angle iron ends weld rod between, skin?

I am sure making a hood has been done 100's of times by others. So mine are all questions not suggestions.
                            Yeah there's a lot of information here on the site. I just have to get a round tuit to search. Of course if others want to guide me in any way shape or form I won't complain!

In reality I have a long time before I need a final hood. I'm just making sure that all the parts fit. Like the radiator, I'm going to use Styrofoam board and make a mock up for it today and see what will fit. I keep getting ahead of myself on some things that later have to go. Like the rollcage in my way in the garage. I made it because I thought about going in a different direction. But as it came into focus, the Whatever project morphed into what you are seeing now.

Thanks for any and all prods in directions I may not see.

Comment

• It's hucking fot out in the garage today. However in spite of that I got some work done on the Whatever project. I got the rear suspension upper shock mounts tack welded. No I can pull them out and reinstall the turtle deck. Then locate and drill the holes thru the turtle deck for them. That's one...

Yesterday I picked up a sheet of Styrofoam board an inch thick to make mock ups for various items. I made a template for the nose on the engine side in preparation for making a hoop to support the nose. Cutting that stuff turned out to be easy once I said to myself self I said, get your Fein oscillating tool out and use it. Nice smooth cuts easy to steer around corners and with the correct blade one shot to make the cut.

Once that was made I took a 6 foot section of formed angle and kerf cut it to be able to bend it to shape. That Styrofoam board is rigid enough to form 1/8 inch stock around it. Of course there's a lot of kerfs to weld now. I figure I'll get it finished in the next cool morning. For now it's braced to shape...

And finally I used the Styrofoam board to mock up a radiator. Hopefully it can be made. It needs to have an offset in the lower tank to fit around the steering box. I bet it's going to be spendy!

No pictures tonight. I'm just plain worn out...

Comment

• Okay some pictures and an update.

Name:	DSCN1229.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1305142 This is the nose support in initial form. It just might be a solution to cooling as well. I'm thinking that I can mount an electric fan to the front of the sheet stock and cut and form it to direct air from the nose thru the radiator.

Name:	DSCN1231.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1305143 Here's the radiator mock up in place. The notch to clear the steering box is bigger than necessary so it will be filled in before I deal with a radiator shop. It has room for a core 3 inches thick.

And as the radiator will extend below the front cross member and I want some form of belly pan I figure figure I'll be able to get more airflow to the radiator below the front cross member. Upper part ducted sealed and force fed, lower portion ram air when moving.

So what does everyone think?

Comment

Working...
                                X