X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know I don't think, I DO!

Dan

Comment

• Yeah but what do you think? Curious people want to know...

Comment

• why not put a full size radiator under the turtle deck then pull air through it (and vent it out the back)? put an oil cooler or something narrow in the front space....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Have you seen the stuff I already have in the turtle deck? I actually thought about that, but with the fuel cell, battery and that freaking huge Winters qc back there, there's just no way I can see to put it under there.

So when I start whining about the cost of the custom radiator, just remind me you told me so...

I've been measuring and cogitating on the problem, and I think that it will work.

Current effort was to get the turtle deck back on and drill the holes thru the turtle deck for the rear coilover mounts. Well the turtle deck is back on, but the holes are not drilled. I know, slacker!

Maybe after supper...

Comment

• Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            Have you seen the stuff I already have in the turtle deck? I actually thought about that, but with the fuel cell, battery and that freaking huge Winters qc back there, there's just no way I can see to put it under there.

So when I start whining about the cost of the custom radiator, just remind me you told me so...

I've been measuring and cogitating on the problem, and I think that it will work.

Current effort was to get the turtle deck back on and drill the holes thru the turtle deck for the rear coilover mounts. Well the turtle deck is back on, but the holes are not drilled. I know, slacker!

Maybe after supper...
            run the hot water down the insides of the rails - put fins on the outside of the rails and win?

I'm still doing not car stuff.... stupid work.

Comment

• Now that's a thought! Years ago we used the frame rails to make weight on weigh-In. Then go out for slow warm ups and wheel packing the track. Of course the radiator needs to be rinsed out to get the mud out of it. And that gets done at the wash/radiator fill station in the pits. So who would notice opening a couple of petcocks and draining water from the frame rails? 10 to 12 gallons of water at almost 8 pounds per gallon. 80 to 96 pounds lighter. Then replace the real battery with a display battery, there's another 30 pounds. Replace the trailer wheels and tires with the race wheels and tires, another 50 pounds. Weigh in just under weight, and bolt on 15 to 20 pounds of lead so the inspector sees it. Leave it on so that they think you're still at legal weight...

WHAT CAN I SAY!

Hey maybe there's a way to incorporate steampunk like the Captain did; baseboard radiator inner stuff run down the sides of the car, like side pipes...

Ok so you can tell I have taken a muscle relaxant today for my back. But I'm much better now

Comment

• Here's some Alternative Radiator Ideas,
                from earlier race cars.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	1907-Renault-3545-Vanderbilt-Racer-Header.png
Views:	93
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	1305449

Behind the Engine.

Name:	eaf0f39bed170e287d89be394a20a2b2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1305450

All Around model.

Name:	1732572_orig.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1305451

Over The Cowl model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                  Here's some Alternative Radiator Ideas,
                  from earlier race cars.....

Name:	1907-Renault-3545-Vanderbilt-Racer-Header.png
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	1305449

Behind the Engine.

Name:	eaf0f39bed170e287d89be394a20a2b2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1305450

All Around model.

Name:	1732572_orig.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1305451

Over The Cowl model.

That last one is the one! So if I'm crazy enough to create a steampunk jeep, that's the answer

Now if we can figure out what the question is...

Comment

That last one is the one! So if I'm crazy enough to create a steampunk jeep, that's the answer

Now if we can figure out what the question is...
                    Answering a question that no one ever thought of asking.... did you ever work for the government?

Comment

• I was employed by federal and state governments. I won't lie and say that I worked for the government...

Comment

• A little bit of progress today. As you can probably surmise, I don't really like bodywork. So cutting holes thru the turtle deck is a little bit intimidating to me. I had previously fabricated the rear suspension upper shock mounts and knew that I had to eventually drill some holes thru the turtle deck in line with the holes thru the frame rails. Turns out it was easier than I was imagining. Started with an old 1.5 inch hole saw, and ground the outside of the teeth off. It then fit thru the frame tubes. One of the hole saw arbors I have has a thru hole for the pilot drill. From another project I had a 12 inch long 1/4 inch drill bit so no I had a way to locate the center of the holes I needed to drill. Then using a normal hole saw 2 inch diameter, I took my time and cut the holes.

Name:	DSCN1236.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1305467 f Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1235.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1305468 Not bad!

And now its sitting on the suspension for the first time without any blocks holding it up. Still has the pvc conduit instead of the coil springs, but the suspension points are holding it up!

So here's the rest of the pictures I took today.

Name:	DSCN1232.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	890.5 KB
ID:	1305469Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1238.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1305470Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1233.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1305471Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1237.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	1305472

Comment

• Small steps add up to big finishes...

Tomorrow get old mangy back in the frame. Cut the firewall for the bellhousing and simulate the seating position and steering column setup are next.

Comment

Small steps add up to big finishes...

Tomorrow get old mangy back in the frame. Cut the firewall for the bellhousing and simulate the seating position and steering column setup are next.
                            Starting to look like something!

Dan

Comment

• Yes but what?

Comment

Yes but what?
                                Um - SOMETHING! BTW - we going to Loring next Spring?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X